v4 of the WNDR3700 on the Way

mediatrek
Virtuoso

v4 of the WNDR3700 on the Way

You read the title of this post right. Netgear will be releasing a fourth version of the WNDR3700. The unit will go back to Atheros chips and away from Broadcom as was done in v3 of the WNDR3700. The unit will not be going back to the printed 2.4Ghz antennas that we saw in v1 and v2 of the router. Instead the unit has U.FL connected antennas for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios. The 2.4Ghz radio have new Netgear-silkscreened branded antennas. The 5Ghz radio uses Rayspan brand antennas.

Netgear also has a similar new N750 router coming as well. The WNDR4300 will have the same antennas seen in the WNDR3700v4, but with a third in the 5Ghz band. The unit will also be based on Atheros chipsets.

Personally, I am quit happy to see some Atheros-based routers coming from Netgear. I personally am not a fan of Broadcom-based chipped units.
Message 1 of 8
damacu
Aspirant

Re: v4 of the WNDR3700 on the Way

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had a WNDR4300 proto as part of beta. And then, let's say (hypothetically--of course), that I wanted to flash the device to a different firmware or open WRT.

And let's say, in theory, that the device was opened and photos of it were taken. And from those theoretical photos a chipset could be determined.

Any hypothetical advice?
Message 2 of 8
mediatrek
Virtuoso

damacu wrote:
Let's say, hypothetically, that I had a WNDR4300 proto as part of beta. And then, let's say (hypothetically--of course), that I wanted to flash the device to a different firmware or open WRT.

And let's say, in theory, that the device was opened and photos of it were taken. And from those theoretical photos a chipset could be determined.

Any hypothetical advice?

Let's say that I am not part of the beta as I am not. I just check out the FCC e-filings now and again, which are public info. Sadly, the glue kind of hides the model numbering on the wireless chipset in the FCC photos. If I HAD to guess the exact chip, I would say an Atheros AR9344 and AR9382 (or AR9380). You can look it up for yourself. The FCC device ID is PY312100187 for the WNDR4300.
Message 3 of 8
jlewter
Guide

My guess would be that a 4300 is new and it would still be in beta testing.
From what I know of testing (I do various things through another provider), you cant do this until the beta test is fully over else you'll likely never receive another bi of test kit. It's also worth nothing that beta hardware usually doesnt have a change but that's not a guarantee. It's even possible that what you call a (4300) netgear may cal it (4700) on release and then bump another product up to that (4300) name.

I miss my UK Netflix beta account, 6 months of free sthuff was nice 😜
Message 4 of 8
damacu
Aspirant

I am not a beta tester for Netgear. I do frequent craigslist, though. And when somebody advertises an N750 for $35, it's usually too good to be true. This is all hypothetical of course.
Message 5 of 8
Simon0
Novice

How much on-board Flash & RAM Netgear decides to include is a major factor for me. If it's like the WNDR3800 w/ 16MB / 128MB, then that's a good start.. and be about the same price of a WNDR3700.

With the WNDR3800, Netgear upgraded the Flash & RAM, but forgot to upgrade the chipset/cpu.
Message 6 of 8
StaticFree
Tutor

mediatrek wrote:
You read the title of this post right. Netgear will be releasing a fourth version of the WNDR3700. The unit will go back to Atheros chips and away from Broadcom as was done in v3 of the WNDR3700. The unit will not be going back to the printed 2.4Ghz antennas that we saw in v1 and v2 of the router. Instead the unit has U.FL connected antennas for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios. The 2.4Ghz radio have new Netgear-silkscreened branded antennas. The 5Ghz radio uses Rayspan brand antennas.

Netgear also has a similar new N750 router coming as well. The WNDR4300 will have the same antennas seen in the WNDR3700v4, but with a third in the 5Ghz band. The unit will also be based on Atheros chipsets.

Personally, I am quit happy to see some Atheros-based routers coming from Netgear. I personally am not a fan of Broadcom-based chipped units.

I agree and will wait for the new Atheros based Netgear routers to be released for sale. I just returned the Broadcom based R6300 because it is buggy and weak on 2.4Ghz band. I find that I always have problems with Broadcom chipset based routers in my location. Atheros based routers do better for me on the noisey 2.4
Ghz band. My current WNDR-3700v1 router has held up well for the past few years running full time 24/7 but I suspect that its 2.4Ghz radio is getting weak now and so am looking for a replacement dual band router. The new R6300 router I just sent back for a refund does not match up to the performance and range I am getting from the old Atheros based WNDR-3700v1 router. So I am excited now to see what the new model will be like. Any idea of when Netgear is going to release to market these new Atheros based routers?
Message 7 of 8
Simon0
Novice

Routers such as the R6300 or even the wndr3700v3 seems to be way too neighborly compared to the wndr3700v1... It falls back way too much and in wi-fi dense areas, the wndr3700v1 seems to have much better range and speeds in places where there's alot of wi-fi. I think I'm gonna keep my wndr3700v1 for a bit longer 🙂
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E