Highlighted
Aspirant

what is the maximum number of port forwards

I currently have a wndr3700v4 and am about to run out of available port forwards.

Can anyone tell me what might be the next model in line that has more port forwards than the 19 I have on my model?

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: what is the maximum number of port forwards

The maximum number of port forwards depends on the memory available in the router. Say, you have other features enabled like Address Reservation, Firewall Rules, etc. These will add up to memory's capacity, hence will prevent you from adding more port numbers. 

Aspirant

So if I show 19 ports total, then that's it?

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted

As mentioned above, the available RAM in the unit is the primary factor of how many possible forwards are allowed.

Curiously, are you actually using 20 individual port forwards, and are none of them in ranges? If you have any range of ports (20-21, as an example for FTP), you can reduce your port forwards to that alone.

Additionally, with many of the units (I'm sorry, my last 3700 series just gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, so I can't 100% verify it), you can also activate port triggering, independently of the forwards, if you don't need every port open at all times. Some users find that meets the needs a bit more than standard forwards Smiley Happy

~ Shadowlore
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have 10 cameras, each with a different IP and each with a different port (although the ports could be put into two groups).

So how would I combine the following:

192.168.0.33 port 1233

192.168.0.34 port 1234

192.168.0.35 port 1235

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can only combine port forwards into a range where the target IP is the same, the three forwards you listed cannot be combined. Forwarding to 10 IP cameras will use a minimum of 10 port forwards. Since port triggering is initiated from the LAN side I don’t think that’s going to help unfortunately since the cameras are unlikely to initiate a connection.

Highlighted
Aspirant

OK so my understanding was correct.  I guess I need a router with more ports.  Too bad that netgear doesn't document this in their features, it would make it easier for me to pick another one out.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements