Re: wifi cannot connect above 54mbps even on 5ghz

mark2410
Novice

wifi cannot connect above 54mbps even on 5ghz

up until yesterday wifi connections could be made at both 300 and 450 but then it started being slow and wont go above 54. its like its running at G speeds but everything is enabled for 450. wpa2 only for encryption an 5ghz 1 and 1 on 2.4. neither allows anything more than 54 now. have changed passwords booting everything off the network to see if some device was the issue but it made no difference.

help, what the hell is going on?

also it would appear that netgear genie cannot log into the router at all yet it can see it.
Message 1 of 6
sabretooth
Apprentice

Make sure your adapter is capable of going to 300 and 450 Mbps. Muse use WPA2-AES encryption and WMM must be enabled.
Message 2 of 6
mark2410
Novice

oh!

well it seems WMM was off, why it was i dont know as i would havo thought a factory reset would have defaulted everything but flicked it on and boom speed is back.

i swear i could and would kiss you right now, thank you
Message 3 of 6
billshih1975
Aspirant

what's the client card you use? it needs to support 11n, then you can see link rate > 54Mbps.
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

billshih1975 wrote:
what's the client card you use? it needs to support 11n, then you can see link rate > 54Mbps.

you may missed the here

well it seems WMM was off, why it was i dont know as i would havo thought a factory reset would have defaulted everything but flicked it on and boom speed is back.

speed came back after WMM is enabled which are common issues on dropping speed
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 6
billshih1975
Aspirant

Basically, the 802.11n spec requires devices to support 802.11e (Quality of Service [QoS] enhancements for wireless LAN) in order to use High Throughput link rates, i.e. higher than 54 Mbps. (WMM is a subset of 802.11e that was created by the Wi-Fi Alliance as a stop-gap measure while 802.11e made its way slowly through the IEEE review process.) WMM's Traffic Identifier (TID) field is key to aggregation mechanisms, including block acknowledgement (block ACK), that enable 802.11n's high throughput rates.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E