Re: will not power up.

67flyer
Aspirant

will not power up.

Had the wndr3700 for a month, bought it while at training 1200 miles away from home. Got home plugged in and i only get a orange flash of light for a second under the internet symbol. called tech support and they said where it was under 30 days to return to the location i bought it. tried to tell them that it was 1200 miles away and no military base to exchange it at and it was not worth driving back 1200 miles just to exchange. The connection was really bad. don't know if they understood or not. I couldn't understand them half the time. they said i would have to wait 90 days to RMA the system. Is that true? if so its not looking very good for my recommondation for future netgear products to my customers. Its now been 36 days since I bought it and 8 days since it died. I had my old router that was still working and i am running on that. I would like to use the new one that i spent 100 on.

I have done the reset steps per the convertation with tech support. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
jlewter
Guide

Go through my.netgear.com and ask for a RMA. They should issue you one from the day of purchase until the warranty expires.

You could also try contacting the company you purchased it from and see if they would let you deal with it through the postal system.

Personally speaking, I would want my money back so I could buy something else or a new one, sending it to netgear will result in you getting a refurb or yours repaired.
Message 2 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

they said where it was under 30 days to return to the location i bought it.

This is quite normal response the by support. Not all vendor has 30days return, I say most are 2weeks or so but I have been in that situation very long time ago

they said i would have to wait 90 days to RMA the system. Is that true?

This is common answer you get too. I think if you explain and work with them you should get RMA

try calling support on Eastern time zone in the morning if you get better support.

usually you get overseas in late day. I had some good luck calling around 9am in EST time
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 7
madhatter
Apprentice

67flyer wrote:
Had the wndr3700 for a month, bought it while at training 1200 miles away from home. Got home plugged in and i only get a orange flash of light for a second under the internet symbol. called tech support and they said where it was under 30 days to return to the location i bought it. tried to tell them that it was 1200 miles away and no military base to exchange it at and it was not worth driving back 1200 miles just to exchange. The connection was really bad. don't know if they understood or not. I couldn't understand them half the time. they said i would have to wait 90 days to RMA the system. Is that true? if so its not looking very good for my recommondation for future netgear products to my customers. Its now been 36 days since I bought it and 8 days since it died. I had my old router that was still working and i am running on that. I would like to use the new one that i spent 100 on.

I have done the reset steps per the convertation with tech support. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

What were the steps you followed, per tech support?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 4 of 7
67flyer
Aspirant

hold the rest button in for 30 seconds with unit powered on. then switch off for 5 sec then power on. (of course the power on was the on off button pushed in, there was no indication of power.) another try was hold reset in and then power on the unit. still the single orange light under the internet icon.
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

does the power light stays on? if not unit is defective
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 7
jlewter
Guide

The unit sounds like it has bad firmware or bad hardware. Did you try to submit a rma via my.netgear.com ?

You could try to force flash the unit with a recovery firmware. I personally would be unhappy forever if I had to do this to a peice of kit to get it working.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700_CDv2.0_230-10613-02.zip is the wndr3700 install CD, it contains a recovery function. Try it first.

If not then...
I do not think the router will load far enough for the 2nt layer recovery listener to kick in.. But lets try.
Turn the unit on, let it settle.
Now, Your going to PUSH AND HOLD IN the reset button and wait until the power light is blinking GREEN...

When you press it in (dont let go!) It should reboot within a few seconds, power LED should go off, It should then return and perhaps flash. After some things loads and test run it should then enter recovery mode. Once the POWER LED is flashing GREEN It's stuck in recovery mode.

If that works then you can TFTP the new firmware to it. It's default IP will be 192.168.1.1 Any firmware version will work but please make sure you get the hardware version correct.

If it will NOT go to the green blinkign light then that means the firmware isnt loading that far..

If Neither of thos work then....
There is a early TFTP cycle that hits and if nothing attaches to it then the router will keep booting. This is generally around the time that the power LED is bllinking Orange. Set a fixed IP in your pc (192.168.1.2 would work) and then connect it to the 3700. In a dos command prompt type something like "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" and then start the 3700. Watch in the command prompt and see if the router ever replys to that ping. If it does then the TFTP window should also be there. It will be hit and miss, but generally what you'll want to do is have a tftp client ready to send (in another dos window) and the ping window running. When you see the first ping reply then you try to send the file via TFTP (you must be quick) and if it locks on then it'll send. I have read about this but never tried it, and what I have read about it shows that most people can never hit this window in a reliable fashion if at all Smiley Tongue...

I will say it again tho, This unit should probably be returned and you should get a new one or something different!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements