BWoods
Aspirant

will this router support docsis 3

I was told by the cable company that I had to get one of there docsis 3 wireless cable modems because this router is not supported could not handle the speed of docsis 3. I download at 50 MBPS and upload 5 MBPS. The cable modem is a motorola SBG6580. on the wireless setting on the modem it says n rate of 130 MBPS. They said because the routers can't handle docsis 3 speeds needed the wireless. I always thought that 300 MBPS was the netgear wireless n speed. Just posting to conform or see if being lied to.
this is what the website says that they approve for modems
Currently Serviceable DOCSIS 3.0 Modems

Currently Serviceable DOCSIS 2.0/DOCSIS 3.0 Modems
Brand Model # Aliases
Ambit U10C018

U10C019*

U10C035**

Arris WBM750A**

Cisco DPC3010**

DPC3825***

Linksys CM100
Motorola SBG940*

SB5101

SB5101U

SB6120**

SBG6580***
GI5101

SMC SMCD3GN***
Ubee DDW2600*

U10C035**

DDM3500**

DDW3600***

* Indicates a DOCSIS 2.0 wireless modem
** Indicates a DOCSIS 3.0 modem
*** Indicates a DOCSIS 3.0 wireless modem
Message 1 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: will this router support docsis 3

3700 is NOT cable modem built-in..
so answer is NO and looking at wrong thing.

you will need purchase DOCISC 3 capable that you listed already

or
http://www.netgear.com/products/service-providers/routers-and-gateways/cable-modems/default.aspx
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 22
ShadowFalls
Aspirant

As mentioned, Docsis standards are for cable modems. This router does not have a cable modem built-in. You can either buy your own Docsis 3 capable modem or use the one the cable company provides. There is also nothing keeping you from hooking up your router to their cable modem/router and setting theirs in bridge mode. Either you are mistaken on everything they said to you or they either lied or didn't know what they were talking about. Cable companies reps seem to know very little these days so I find that to be more likely.
Message 3 of 22
jlewter
Guide

As jmizoguchi says.. This is a "Router" and not a "Modem"..

This "Router" Should work fine up to about a 300-400 meg internet connection via ETHERNET.

The SBG6580 is a Modem&Router combination device...

You do not need the WNDR3700 but it should work fine in your network.
If you want to use the modem in bridge mode (as a modem only) you can find instructions Here.

You could also use the wndr3700 as an "Access Point" and place it somewhere else in your home (where there's a weak wireless signal).

One thing that's important here is to know that your wireless speed means you will never be able to download near that 50 meg max that your isp provides. Your just throwing that 90 bucks a month down the drain (assuming MidcoNet). So if your wanting to use your 50 meg download at it's max, then use WIRED computers. If your going to use a lot of wireless devices then I would keep the 3700 as it should have more throughput. The 130(N) modem/router combo will probably max out at 25 meg or so with a single device meaning the ISP will love you Smiley Happy.
Message 4 of 22
NatRay
Tutor

You sure know how to make a fella feel luved jlewter . . . Smiley Very Happy
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 5 of 22
BWoods
Aspirant

yes I was aware that it was just a router. I know it performs better output than the cable modem wireless. So if I can bridge the networks how would I hook the router up with the motorola.
Message 6 of 22
BWoods
Aspirant

So I just need to put in bridge mode. Then hook up the router just like I did on the docsis 2 modem?
Message 7 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you buy cable modem with router then you will need to make bridge

if you just but a simple modem ONLY, hook up router and done.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 22
jlewter
Guide

The modem you have sounds pretty good to be honest.

Either option should work well.

Bridge mode will disable the wireless and probably all lan ports other than LAN1 on the SBG6580. You would then connect the WAN port of the 3700 to the LAN1 port on the SBG6580.

If you want to use the 3700 in another part of the house and your willing to run an ethernet cable then Leave the modem configured as a modem&router combo.. Run the ethernet cable from a<->b and connect the devices lan/lan. Disable DHCP on the 3700 and your sorted out.

I would likely opt to use the 3700 as an AP unless you find that the surfboard has issues.
Message 9 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

first... PICK the cable modem model that you are interested buy then we can tell what to do.

we can go back and forth on this.....
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 22
Husky71
Aspirant

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can still get some help as I have the same cable modem listed - the Motorola SBG6580.

TimeWarner supplied this modem as part of their Roadrunner Extreme package and initially I was not able to get my FVS318G router to connect through it.

Eventually I was able to place the SBG6580 into bridge mode and all the hosts behind my FVS318G now can see the Internet.

My problem is that I'm not seeing the advertised speed when my host is connected through the router. If I connect the host directly to the cable modem I see speed of 30/5 Mbit/s down/up.

If I connect the host through the router I see download speeds in the 14 - 18 Mbit/s range and upload speeds of 5 Mbit/s.

When I set the port speed on the router to 100 BaseT Half Duplex I see speeds of 18 - 22 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up.

Any ideas as to why I'm not able to see the full WAN speed through the LAN ports?

I've set the FVS318G to factory defaults and disconnect all other hosts besides this one computer to make sure there wasn't any other traffic causing problems, but no joy.

Thanks,
Message 11 of 22
Husky71
Aspirant

May have found part of the answer on another thread. A reference to the spec sheet for the 318G shows that the max LAN to WAN throughput is 25 Mbit/s.

Still curious though why speed is lower using autodetect on the WAN interface than Half duplex 100BaseT. You'd think a 1000BaseT interface would run faster.
Message 12 of 22
markymark896
Aspirant

Husky71 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can still get some help as I have the same cable modem listed - the Motorola SBG6580.

TimeWarner supplied this modem as part of their Roadrunner Extreme package and initially I was not able to get my FVS318G router to connect through it.

Eventually I was able to place the SBG6580 into bridge mode and all the hosts behind my FVS318G now can see the Internet.

My problem is that I'm not seeing the advertised speed when my host is connected through the router. If I connect the host directly to the cable modem I see speed of 30/5 Mbit/s down/up.

If I connect the host through the router I see download speeds in the 14 - 18 Mbit/s range and upload speeds of 5 Mbit/s.

When I set the port speed on the router to 100 BaseT Half Duplex I see speeds of 18 - 22 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up.

Any ideas as to why I'm not able to see the full WAN speed through the LAN ports?

I've set the FVS318G to factory defaults and disconnect all other hosts besides this one computer to make sure there wasn't any other traffic causing problems, but no joy.

Thanks,

I'd like to wake this thread up as well to see if anyone could answer Husky71's question. I have the same modem as Husky (supplied by TWC for their 30/5 Mbps Extreme) and am having the same problems with slower speeds through my router (wndr3700v2). I've tried everything I can think of. I have the modem in bridge mode and connected to the router. Speeds are slower from the router regardless of wired or wireless. Get full speeds connecting directly to modem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
Message 13 of 22
Simon0
Novice

A router such as the wndr3700 connected to your docsis3 modem versus a computer connected to the docsis3 modem should make no difference. A router is just a small computer and a PC can also be a router as well.

It is usually a setup or the port on router cannot initiate past 10mbps. The wndr3700 is quite picky with the type of cables. Try new cat6/5e cables and verify link speeds from the webui of both router and modem. Pay attention to tx/rx error rates and link speeds.
Message 14 of 22
markymark896
Aspirant

The wan port is showing 1000M/Full. So it looks like my cable should be ok there. Still only getting 2/3 the full speed of my direct connect to the modem.
Message 15 of 22
markymark896
Aspirant

After looking at the port speeds, I noticed that port 1 and port 2 wouldn't get faster than 10M no matter what I plug into it. I plugged my PC into port 3 and it registered as a 1000M connection. I am getting full speed from port 3 on the router. So that means the modem is passing the full speed into the router through the wan port. Wireless connections are still only 2/3 of full speed though.
Message 16 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

seems devices on port 1/2 is only negotiated and 10Mbps so if these are gigabit nic, one chooses are if this is pc then force to 100base-t or 10000base-t to see if works better
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 22
markymark896
Aspirant

Thanks jmizoguchi. How do I force the port to a faster speed? Ports 1 and 2 seem to only get 10M regardless of what's connected. I had my pc with a 1G nic attached to ports 1 and 2 and it only got to 10M. When I connected the pc to port 3 it recognized it as 1G. Same cable.

Thanks,
Mark
Message 18 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

now just to confirm. if you take SAME gigabit capable on port 1 to port 3 goes to fully gigabit?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 22
markymark896
Aspirant

Yep. The same cable/PC/NIC combo gets 10M on port 1 and 1000M on port 3. BTW, I figured out my wireless speed problem. Had to change my wireless security from TKIP to AES in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Now I'm getting full speed on my wireless networks... 30Mbps/5Mbps.

Still don't know what's up with ports 1 and 2 though.

Thanks,
Mark
Message 20 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

The same cable/PC/NIC combo gets 10M on port 1 and 1000M on port 3.

probably a faulty unit. possible capacitor burnout inside the circuit or some thing else. if the unit is still under warranty, I would request for RMA exchange
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 22
Simon0
Novice

markymark896 wrote:
After looking at the port speeds, I noticed that port 1 and port 2 wouldn't get faster than 10M no matter what I plug into it. I plugged my PC into port 3 and it registered as a 1000M connection. I am getting full speed from port 3 on the router. So that means the modem is passing the full speed into the router through the wan port. Wireless connections are still only 2/3 of full speed though.

Sometimes the wires on the port is twisted. Using a small flashlight examine the Ethernet wiring. If it is crossing another set of wires, use a tweezer to carefully fix it. If it's a faulty unit, then returning/RMA it is your only option. Good luck.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements