wndr 3400v2 connection issue

thatginger
Aspirant

wndr 3400v2 connection issue

my wndr 3400v2 will not connect to the internet and i have tryied many different options. the only way i find it to work is by ethernet cable straight from my modem to the ethernet port, but its right next to it. my house is networked so i tryied to hook it up in another room and wont connect. It know its not the line cause i can hook a ethernet line to computer and it works. the netgear genie cant do anything cause it says there is no internet when my isp modem shows its connected

i have tryied a lot of options and im running out of options i can think of. i just dont understand how it worked right next to a isp modem connected by ethernet cable, but not in another room still connected to isp modem.

Message 1 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: wndr 3400v2 connection issue

Hi @thatginger,

Welcome to the community!

The router needs reconfiguration to work with your modem. See which link is applicable to you in order to configure the router.

Cable ISP Connection

DSL ISP Connection

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

dsl way dont work it just says in the genie that there is nothing plugged in the interent port when clearly it is.

cable way where you powercycle all of your internet and step by step turn them on dont work either.

im pretty sure mine is the dsl because of the green line marked on modem says dsl.

what happens from here? i tryied factory reset, autodetect, and still nothing 

Message 3 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

also i cant get on the routerlogin.net.

what is goin on i tryied two computers and plugged it straight to the modem?

Message 4 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Can you try these steps if it will allow you to access the admin page of the router? If it does, proceed with DSL configuration.

By the way, who is your ISP and the brand of your modem?

Let us know what happens.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

gateway is blank and it is wired straight to the router

Message 6 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger What's the IP address that you're getting? Is it 169.x.x.x or a different IP? Make sure your computer is not on static IP address. Somehow you should be getting 192.168.1.x range of IP in order to get into the admin page. Try to push the reset button on the router for 20 seconds and see if it will give you the appropriate IP to get into the admin page. After resetting and you don't get the 192 range, try to use a different LAN port on the router. Also, make sure that the front LED port on the router where you plug the cable should be lit.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

i got the genie to pop up, but it still shows there is no internet at the port/ detected. i cant do the dsl steps cause that is one of them. my modem is communicating with the router. so the issue is still with the router somehow.

Message 8 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Is the default gateway still blank? What step you're having difficulty to follow?

Can you try to uninstall the Genie and follow the DSL configuration steps?

Keep us udpated.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

gateway isnt blank anymore. one of the steps i do where i go on the genie and manually enter the internet info like PPPoE. I can do all that but still get no internet at port when i go to connect it manually through genie. already uninstalled genie and reinstalled it still nothin. i tryied to see if it would do the setup on its own and says no internet at port. the dsl steps ive done but with no resolution and powercycling the router does nothing

Message 10 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Is that how you configure your router previously? Using PPPoE?

Try these steps. If it didn't help, you may need to call your ISP and have them set your modem in bridge mode.

Once they have configured it as bridge, PPPoE connection should work.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

no i havent i just tryied to do that to see if it would work. my isp company told me to try it and my modem is llc bridged,if that means anything to you. i never had this issue before. when it worked all i did was plug it in and run the genie. step 6 is the issue im having cause it cant detect the internet

Message 12 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Have you tried the new link I had given? Do you have Internet light on the router? Can you verify with your ISP if it's a full bridge. If it's full bridge, you should be using the DSL steps.

If you can get online through the modem right now, the previous link will be the configuration you need.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

i have it working now but its not in the place i want it and im afraid of messing it up since i got it to work. my isp told me my modem shouldnt have to be in bridge mode for this to work. Also if i did put it in bridge mode i would have to have static ip addresses which i dont have and my cause some issues. i will try to move it where i want and see what happens

Message 14 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

well i moved it from where it was working to where i wanted and now it dont work. i dont understand why it works in one room directly hooked up to modem and i move it, no internet light. now im back to square one. The netgear isnt detecting the internet in the room i want it in, but i can hook it right next to modem and its fine. my house is networked so ethernet cable runs from modem to the cat5 jack which i plug yellow wire to router. nothing wrong with cat5 jack cause i can hook computer up and works fine.

My question is how can it work in one room hooked exactly the same way as it is in the other room and not work in another room? only change is room. cant find out issue with router.  

Message 15 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger What's the brand and model of the modem that you have?

When you had this working previously, was the router connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable?

The way you describe your setup seems to the right one to have. Your router should be connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable unless, there was a setting previously that lets the router and modem talk to each other wirelessly.

How do you connect the cable to the Netgear router from the modem in the room where you want the router? You run a long cable? If yes, you are using the same cable when you connect your computer directly to the modem?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

it works its just not in the room i want but it works right next to modem no problem. my house is net worked so i dont have to run long cable. i have a cat6 ethernet cable from netgear router to my computer and yellow ethernet cable hooks up to the cat5 jack which is connected directly to modem by cat5 ethernet cable from isp. its not a cable issue cause it has worked before in the past and nothing has changed. 

one way it works is by connectiong the router yellow ethernet directly to the isp modem and connecting the wire that goes to the cat5 jack in other room. Also connecting cat6 ethernet cable to cat5 wall jack (that runs to the modem i connected) and i have internet through netgear router. No issues plug in and works

The other room i plug in properly and i get not internet lightonly difference is instead of router hooked directly to modem, router is connected to cat5 jack then to modem(all ethernet cables)  

Message 17 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Just to double check the physical setup, your modem should be connected to the WAN/Internet port on the NETGEAR Router.

All computers should be connected to one of the 4 LAN ports, like the diagram below.

physical.png

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 18 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

it is all correctly done cause i can plug then netgear router from the room it doesnt work into the room it does all wired the same way. i havent changed any way of installing wires only location. thats the thing im not getting. How can it work fine next to modem hooked up ,but when i hook up the same way as when it was working in the other room no internet. im not understanding this. why one room but not the other?  

Message 19 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

ISP is replacing the modem due to recent troubles so problem maybe fixed when i get it set up

Message 20 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thatginger Thanks for the update. Let us know if you need help setting up the NETGEAR router after the replacement.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 21 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

new modem is in and now the netgear router shows internet light but netgear genie cant detect it

Message 22 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly, check your inbox.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 23 of 25
thatginger
Aspirant

thank you for trying but i am no longer using anything from netgear since the way they make there customers pay for warranty items. 

Message 24 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Allow me to escalate your RMA concern to our Customer Service department.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements