Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: wndr3700v2 1.0.0.32????

Yeah my latest response from support was a link to the previous firmware. I humoured them and tried but it won't take. And now I have noticed my hard wired NAS is sometimes not showing up in the media server section on my hard wired smart tv. Grrrrrrr! A power cycle of the NAS makes it reappear but this never happened pre firmware 1.0.0.32. It's a total shambles from netgear who have crippled our routers! So upset with them. Why did I ever download it, am normally the sort of person who has a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude but one little mouse click has caused a whole load of hassle.
Message 26 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Scottyboy99 wrote:
Why did I ever download it, am normally the sort of person who has a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude but one little mouse click has caused a whole load of hassle.

At least the new interface gives us the option of saving our router settings before downloading new firmware. I always did that in the past (on a different company's router) for just such a situation as this one. The only reason I didn't do it this time was because I had the blasted thing set up to check for firmwares upgrades automatically upon sign-in. Totally forgot to save settings before clicking on the upgrade.

That will *never* happen again. Though, in truth, manufacturers should prompt us to save settings before upgrades anyway. Just good business practice. Now they've created a lot of bad blood which many of us will remember for a long time the next time we go shopping for a router.

This also suggests to me none of the people who worked on the upgrade use this router themselves. Or else they'd be experiencing the same difficulties.
Message 27 of 142
Highlighted
Apprentice

Kind of a moot point as after all firmware upgrades you are to hard reset the router and reconfigure it back manually, not to use any backup file. The backup files are to be used on the same exact firmware, not an upgrade.
Message 28 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just started a new thread, but thought I'd put it in here for those who subscribe...There is an option for some sort of pin "Enable Router's PIN" that is checked by default in the firmware .32. Unchecking this option solved my problem.
Message 29 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

A solution (of sorts):

Tonight I installed the Gargoyle (OpenWRT) firmware over top of the 1.0.0.32 Netgear firmware and it has almost made me glad this whole mess happened. I would even go so far as to say that the Gargoyle firmware is more polished than the Netgear firmware (especially considering this latest snafu).

I was unable to upgrade through the web interface because the Gargoyle firmware was rejected with the same message many of us have seen if you try to downgrade to the 1.0.0.12 Netgear firmware from 1.0.0.32. I used the procedure titled "OEM installation using the TFTP method (recommended)" from along with the tftp client commands from slightly further down. I was a bit nervous, but in fact it...this page for both version 1.4.7 and 1.5.8. You just have to decide if you want to go stable or unstable. Both seem fine to me and I view this as my permanent solution to this problem regardless of what Netgear decides to do (eventually). I never tried it, but I wonder if this TFTP method could be used to flash the 1.0.0.12 firmware for those that just want to downgrade?

Like many of you, I wasted a lot of time on this issue. It's frustrating that Netgear seems not to even realize this is a major issue judging by the fact that they still haven't removed the 1.0.0.32 firmware from the support site. I'll monitor this forum for the next few days and would be more than happy to answer any questions regarding my experience of flashing Gargoyle in case others decide to go that route. For one thing WiFi is disabled by default in Gargoyle.

Cheers.

Jeff
Message 30 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unfortunately doing a config/settings backup is not going to get your firmware back. Neither does a factory reset. If it did great, would happily start over and take a bit of time re configuring. The firmware just cannot be downgraded. It's a shambolic situation. I don't want to spend £££ but I think if it doesn't get sorted by netgear ASAP going to have to think about buying a different dual band router and never go near netgear again.
Message 31 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Jeff

Nice work. Personally still want Netgear to fix as my only worry is they wouldn't support a non Netgear firmware (not that they supported as much anyway!)

I just wondered on the Gargoyle firmware, is the wifi range same as before or showing any improvements, presume you still get the full 300 mbs speed under 5ghz. Do your devices (if you have apple products for homeshare, remote etc) communicate ok on the same SSID? Are the guest channels still available for both 2.4 and 5 ghz and broadcasting ok? Presume you can still set WPA2/AES encryptions?

I use readyshare quite a bit. Does that still have the full functionality in as much as you can still have the FTP and also it still has the Media Server function (media server is a bit hit and miss before when scanning but I still like the feature).

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,
Wayne
Message 32 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

I looked at the links re: Gargoyle. Am not at home to try but unfortunately it seems to be really complicated. I can't follow what to do with regards all the bootloader stuff, really out of my comfort zone. I think as I still have internet functionality and cannot risk messing things up I will have to wait on Netgear.

Thanks,
Wayne
Message 33 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi all again,

Sorry this is very similar to Jeff's post. Netgear have emailed me precise instructions on how to roll back firmware. I looked at the Gargoyle site and I just got real confused. If anyone wants to try this and see how it goes as I am unable to test this:-

1. Download firmware from netgear site and save to your computer. I guess 1.0.0.12 is preferable.

2. Download TFTP2.exe software from http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadowgameworld/downloads

3. Make a physical ethernet connection from your computer to the router and temporarily assign a static IP to it ie. 192.168.1.20

4. Now run the TFTP2.exe file downloaded earlier

5. In the server field enter the default router IP, usually 192.168.1.1

6. In password field enter the default router password. Usually 'password' (no need for user name apparently)

7. In the field 'file' browse for and locate the firmware file downloaded earlier

8. Unplug all port connections from router apart from the PC you are using to upload

9. Turn router off for 10-20 seconds and turn it back on

10. Whilst router is still in boot phase .ie. power light is still amber click on 'upgrade' and wait for process to finish.

11. Reconfigure router once finished as I presume you will lose your settings

12. Reboot router one more time to ensure everything is ok and then start testing

13. Hope and pray everything is back to normal

If anyone has the courage to take the plunge let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Wayne
Message 34 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey Wayne,

Yeah, these instructions look familiar. I did the following to install Gargoyle and it would seem the same would work to install 1.0.0.12:

1. Cabled ethernet from PC (Mac in my case) to LAN port 1 of router (WAN port does not work).
2. Set static IP address for this connection to 192.168.1.2 (anything on 192.168.1.x really). Probably best to disable any other network connections on the PC just to avoid any possible address conflict.
3. Copy the .img file you plan to flash to firmware.img just to give it a shorter filename.
4. Power on the router and immediately hold down the reset button with a Bobby pin or what have you.
5. The power LED starts off flashing orange, but eventually turns to green and then flashing green. This takes quite a while. You can let go of the reset button only once you get flashing green. (You're not going to wreck anything if you don't wait long enough, the router just won't be in a state to take the TFTP update so you'll have to power cycle and start again).
6. Open Terminal and type the following:
$ tftp 192.168.1.1
> mode binary
> put firmware.img
> quit
Note: At least Mac OS Lion comes with a tftp client. Other versions or other platforms may need to get a third party TFTP client. Also note that TFTP is a totally different protocol from FTP so you probably can't use your regular FTP client.
7. After the put above you should have received a message about the file being transferred. Now you just need patience. The power LED goes blank for a while then all sorts of crazy flashing goes on. Just wait. This is probably the only part you could screw up, but only if you don't wait long enough. Do not power cycle the router.
8. Eventually you will be able to bring up the web page from the same PC on 192.168.1.1. Again, you won't mess things up by trying to access the web page too early so you can use this to know when the flashing is done. Once you see the web page you're finished. Probably want to change the manual address you set in step 2 back to DHCP.

Regarding Gargoyle:
* Speed, range seems about the same as I had before.
* Using WPA2 encryption.
* Gargoyle does NOT support guest SSIDs. I never used them, but others may view this as a limiation. Gargoyle is just a web interface to OpenWRT though and you can do about anything with OpenWRT (including guest networks) if you want to dig in under the web interface.
* All my connectivity is back up. This includes two laptops on 5 GHz, printer on 2.4 GHz, wireless Time Machine backups to a Mac Mini on 5 GHz, screen sharing, Apple file sharing, two phones on 2.4 GHz... Nothing is not working.
* I don't use ReadyShare, but I believe Gargoyle has USB sharing features. Sorry, I don't even know what the Media Server function is... Never used the USB port on the router at all.

Note that the Netgear software is based on OpenWRT. The excellent support in OpenWRT was one of the reasons I actually bought the WNDR3700v2 so I'm glad to be taking advantage of that now!

Good luck!

Jeff
Message 35 of 142
Highlighted
Guide

Those instructions will hit one of the recovery mode timers and force the firmware on it.

You can hold the reset button in on the 3700 until the unit is REGULARLY flashing amber and that will mean it is stuck in the recovery position. It can take a while to get to this stage. The Recovery mode they are wanting you to hit will just keep probing the unit and shove it through if it can hit the window (It doesnt do that every time, so you may need to reboot the router and restart the TFTP transfer more than once)...

You'll know that it didnt take if the 3700 fully starts up (blue and green led's all around).
Message 36 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you to everyone. I joined the forum just to say that!

I bought my WNDR3700v2 with the understanding that I could flash another firmware if the manufactures proved inadequate. Amazingly, I found the original firmware suited my needs just fine...until now. The latest update kept kicking my attached devices list making printing mostly impossible without rebooting the router. No problem right? I'll just go back to the most stable firmware...NOPE. No problem right? I'll just flash an alternative firmware...NOPE. This pissed me off a great deal. I have an open ticket with tech support but it really isn't going anywhere. Why, oh why, remove the ability to downgrade? Anyway, rant over.

Using some instructions I found here (thanks to jho1979 and scottyboy99) this is what I did to get Gargoyle on with my WNDR3700v2 with a Win7x64 machine.

1. I downloaded the latest stable Gargoyle release, gargoyle_1.4.7-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img, from here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php

2. I downloaded TFTP2.exe software from http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadowgameworld/downloads

3. Before you disconnect from the internet, you may want to look up setting static IP addresses for windows 7. I had forgotten but thankfully had my smartphone. There is a setting in the network and sharing center but I wont detail it here. I unhooked my router from everything and brought it to my main PC.

4. Made an Ethernet connection form my PC to router, using port 1, it was the only connection. I then went into the network and sharing center and gave it a static ip of 192.168.1.20

5. Renamed the gargoyle file to firmware.img (this may or may not be necessary, I was using steps from several people.) Then moved both the img and TFTP2.exe to my desktop.

6. Ran TFT2.exe as administrator (may or may not be necessary.)

7. In the server field I entered the default browser IP, 192.168.1.1 In password field I entered the default router password. Usually 'password'

8. In the field 'file' browse for and pointed it to my firmware.img

9. Using a paperclip, held in the reset button until it the light was flashing. Took about 30 seconds or so.

10. Clicked upgrade. Waited for process to finish.

11. Don't touch the router. The light alternated from flashing amber/green, to a bunch of stuff. This took about 2 minutes or so. Probably best to just walk a way for a bit.

12. Loaded up the default address for Gargoyle, 192.168.1.1, success. Reboot router. Went back in and enabled wifi (disabled by default.)

Hopefully this cures my problems. Even if it doesn't I should be able to downgrade to the stable firmware easily now. Just pissed they removed the option to. Thanks again to all.
Message 37 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Kind of a moot point as after all firmware upgrades you are to hard reset the router and reconfigure it back manually, not to use any backup file. The backup files are to be used on the same exact firmware, not an upgrade.

My point was that sometimes the firmware is faulty. As we have seen, sometimes after an upgrade the router doesn't allow us to revert back to the previous firmware. The backup would. When the new firmware doesn't work the backup file allows us to revert back to the firmware that actually worked. I've done this in the past. Unfortunately, I didn't do it this time and now I'm stuck with a router that doesn't work properly because the firmware upgrade is faulty and it doesn't allow me revert back to the firmware that worked perfectly fine.

I've hard reset the router and it still doesn't work properly. And why would a firmware upgrade require so much additional work? If it needs this much attention from the user, it shouldn't be an automatic upgrade. There should be a warning: "Before you click on the upgrade, do X, Y & Z first, then do A, B & C afterwards."
Message 38 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was having the same issue so here is what I did. I went to a dd-wrt forum.
Downloaded this ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe. I was able to restore my firmware from 1.0.0.32 to firmware version 1.0.0.12. It was really simple . The forum was here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=281413&sid=b759de7359e6d5cde7711aba1e4d94f5. If you look a little further down the conversation it tells you how to use it. I'm up and running again!!!!! Hope that helps.
Message 39 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is all great news. Bit of a faff getting it to go in as struggled to time the tgtp2 upgrade right but got there in end. Back on 1.0.0.12 and all seems good again. Cheers to jeff for getting ball rolling and all contributors with step bu step methods. Most of us happy again but netgear had really let us down.

Cheers
Wayne
Message 40 of 142
Highlighted
Luminary

blkbbtop wrote:
...now I'm stuck with a router that doesn't work properly because the firmware upgrade is faulty and it doesn't allow me revert back to the firmware that worked perfectly fine.

Others have said basically the same thing. What I don't understand is, if the previous firmware worked perfectly, why take the risk of updating the firmware? For example, I have a WNDR3700v1 and I'm using the older v1.0.7.98NA firmware. At the present time the router has an uptime of around 556 days and works perfectly for my needs. Updating the firmware in my router isn't going to improve anything. The router's firmware should only be updated when there is a strong chance that it might address an issue or at the risk of a, can't live without, new feature. Otherwise, updating should be avoided like the plague.

blkbbtop wrote:
And why would a firmware upgrade require so much additional work? If it needs this much attention from the user, it shouldn't be an automatic upgrade. There should be a warning: "Before you click on the upgrade, do X, Y & Z first, then do A, B & C afterwards."

Because sometimes when it comes to software, hardware manufacturers are their own worse enemy. The reverse is also true. So, it's not that far of a stretch to understand why Netgear wouldn't include such warnings. Yet, Netgear is far from being alone in these matters. For example, many people update the motherboard BIOS in an unsafe manor. Why? Because they choose to use the hardware manufacturer's included BIOS update software with the OS. It's provided by the hardware manufacturer, right? Should be safe. Well, it's not.

Likewise, there is a proper way to update the router's firmware and the way the router does it on it's own, isn't the proper way. That's why I wrote the "How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware" guide (see sticky at the top of this forum or the link in my signature), which includes one proper way to update the router's firmware. Sure the guide requires a little more effort on the users part, but in the end it's safer.

And, as sabretooth mentioned earlier and to make sure his point wasn't missed, the configuration backup inside the router is for the current firmware only and shouldn't be used to revert settings on a different firmware version.

Having said that, it's frustrating to read that Netgear again released new firmware without properly beta testing on a wider sample. I'm not trying to throw salt, and should it appear that way I apologize in advance. I wish all of you luck with your router issues.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 41 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
Others have said basically the same thing. What I don't understand is, if the previous firmware worked perfectly, why take the risk of updating the firmware? For example, I have a WNDR3700v1 and I'm using the older v1.0.7.98NA firmware. At the present time the router has an uptime of around 556 days and works perfectly for my needs. Updating the firmware in my router isn't going to improve anything. The router's firmware should only be updated when there is a strong chance that it might address an issue or at the risk of a, can't live without, new feature. Otherwise, updating should be avoided like the plague.

If that works for you, great. Hopefully they haven't patched any security issues since your firmware was released. The only real issue here is that they removed the ability to downgrade, which is a pretty bad lack of foresight.
Message 42 of 142
Highlighted
Luminary

In my opinion, blindly updating the router or any other device for that matter, for the sake of updating, is never a good strategy. This thread is a good example of what can go wrong and what's then required to overcome accepting that risk. Trust must be earned. Do you believe Netgear has earned your trust?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 43 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm sorry but when you log into your router and are told there is a new firmware upgrade, which happens once in a blue moon, I expect as a customer for it work in most cases. When I update my windows I dont expect it to blue screen with every update do I! So I think your statement is just wrong. I expect all updates to firmware to be fully tested amongst all your devices!
Message 44 of 142
Highlighted
Apprentice

I fully agree with everything Devor has said here.

Sure, Netgear should thoroughly test any firmware before releasing it, and I'm not defending that one bit. But as one person said "If it ain't 'broke why fix it?"

If you scour these forums there are too many stories of firmware upgrades going awry.

Personally, I've turned off the automatic check for updates and haven't updated the firmware in my router in almost 2 years. I don't miss it and, I never regretted doing that Smiley Very Happy.

The choice is always yours to make.
Message 45 of 142
Highlighted
Luminary

Tristar1986 wrote:
I expect all updates to firmware to be fully tested amongst all your devices!

That's naive talk or you're pulling my leg. There isn't even 100 percent compatibility between all routers and modems. Further, it's not practical for Netgear to test every possible device combination before release. If you are basing this on the amount of time between releases, to me it indicates that Netgear believes the router is mostly complete. That, resources can be better used on more important and/or current models, and not because they spent all that time having the RC tested.

As to the release itself, a better strategy would be for you to take 10 minutes to research the new firmware before updating. For example, if you had first read this thread about the issues experienced by others, would you have gone ahead anyway with the firmware update? Unless you enjoy misery, no, you wouldn't have and you'd be glad you spent those 10 minutes doing the research first.

I believe it's Netgear's responsibility to release responsibly tested and not Gamma tested firmware. If the release shows signs of having major issues, it is also their responsibility to pull it from the server to stop spreading a faulty release until such time they can bring in Diagnostics.

Yet, at the same time that doesn't negate the end user's responsibility for taking an uneducated gamble. Whether due to laziness, blind optimism or some other reason -- updating firmware includes risks and sometimes those risks have very negative consequences. The user needs to take responsibility for their actions and mitigate those risks, since things don't always go according to Hoyle.
_____
Message 46 of 142
Highlighted
Luminary

thatguychuck wrote:
Hopefully they haven't patched any security issues since your firmware was released.

According to the release notes for the v1.0.16.98NA firmware:

From what I understand, they removed the ability to easily downgrade the firmware. It's still possible.
_____
Message 47 of 142
Highlighted
Guide

As a tech user (Like a lot of us who do use these forums regularly) we would know better than to take every upgrade as it comes. The idea that ever patch should work however is not something I would dismiss as dreaming or some consumer being naive. There are more than enough of us who have these units, have asked for betas in the past, and there are no doubt existing beta testers of the hardware who they could attempt contacting first.

Perhaps there was internal testing and it passed all of the QA checks, the end users who upgrade because a new version is there will suffer because the unit is faulty, and that is a shame - but it is not the users fault.

WiFi standards change, or even WiFi drivers in the unit itself can be changed but not appear in the release notes, Has the WPA key bug been fixed yet (I dont think so!).

Remember too that our view of "firmware" is not really the same as what it was 15 years ago, at one time "firmware" was something you only updated when it was a must, but now so much of the OS itself can be in firmware that you end up with some type of hybrid mix. To that I would say that in my view the biggest no-no when updating things like "routers" is when your updating the bootloader (that part that I would consider the firmware of 15 year ago).

Lets not push this off on users doing what they didnt need to do, the focus here should sit squarely on NG.
Message 48 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

I can see both sides of the argument. However, until some poor sod actually upgrades to the firmware no-one will know the consequences. Someone has to be the guinea pig and then even if one posts problems most assume it will be an isolated issue. It's only when a number of us, such us in this thread, start communicating it becomes clear that Netgear has dropped the ball. The inability to do an easy downgrade again made things pretty horrific. Fortunately we have all helped eachother and learned how to force the downgrade now with clear, easy to follow steps. I had never heard of TFTP2 before, no inclination to really learn but have had to and been guided by other helpful posters.

What I do find inexcusable is Netgear's lack of action to either release a prompt fix. Even worse is they still have the firmware available for download. It should be pulled. They have been contacted by numerous people (I have been very forceful with their support guys over email and phone) and every time they act as if this is the first they heard of it. They don't seem to care that their firmware has crippled things for many people. Their testing process must of been very flawed as checking devices can actually communicate over an SSID band is a fundamental router function. Even hard wired devices exhibited some small problems for me which I won't go into now.

Most people won't understand or have the time/know-how to attempt the firmware downgrade via TFTP2. It is daunting and for the average user they will have caused many problems. There will be many poor sods out there suddenly wondering why their devices (printers, iphones, ipads etc) are no longer communicating probably sitting there blindly trying to uninstall things like iTunes etc in a futile exercise to restore functionality. Netgear have made a massive hash of things.

Yes I agree, if all was working ok then I shouldn't of done the firmware upgrade. I have been burned! Luckily all ok now. However, when devices do not work or there is a network related issue the first thing anyone ever gets told to do is ensure firmware is upto date. You can get stuck between a rock and hard place.

Cheers
Wayne
Message 49 of 142
Highlighted
Aspirant

I joined this forum specifically to say thank you to those that helped with my issue. I'm appalled that a thread looking for solutions turned into a "it's your fault for updating in the first place." I won't be back.

Good day to all.
Message 50 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements