× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wndr3700v3 guest network allows access to my private network

vernonls
Star

wndr3700v3 guest network allows access to my private network

I have a netgear N600 WNDR3700v3 updated to the latest firmware update.  I have connected the WAN to my home network and set it to obtain an IP automatically.  So my home network is 192.168.1.x and so the router nicely picks  up 192.168.1.23 and I have set the DHCP server to make the LAN side of the router 10.0.0.x and that is working nicely so when I connect wirelessly or wired to the WAN, it picks up something like 10.0.0.101.  I have enabled a wireless network, call it NETWORKA and NETWORKG  and that works fine.  I also created a guest network call it GUESTA and GUESTB.  I thought that this would prevent guests from seeing my home network. 

Alas this is not so.  While logged onto the guest network from my laptop with a wireless connection I get an IP of 10.0.101, but I can both ping my desktop computer at 192.168.1.12 and if I map a network drive from the laptop using \\192.168.1.12\temp it connects.  Seems to me like guest neworking is not giving me the isolation that I need from the guests I give the guest network password to.

Do I misunderstand?  Shouldn't a guest network isolate the guest from my internal home network?  Am I missing something?

Looking forward to help on this issues.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
vernonls
Star

OK, well I tried using the wndr3700v3 as a repeater for my exisisting Netgear N300 Model C2000 and it was pretty much of a bust.  The manual that shipped with the wndr3700 was useless as it did not have anything about using it as a repeater.  When I googled how to do it, I saw that it would limit me to only WEP encryption, so I decided that I would just live with the range limitations of having the main router in my office.  And I could never get the repeater to work at all.

I think if I ever get serious about it, I will buy a pair of Orbi routers (master,slave), disable the wireless function of the router in my office.  Then I could put the master Orbi and the slave in my living room so I could then have a really private LAN and wireless access for my guests.  For now the guests will just have to do with less than perfect wireless in the living room.

vern

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

As this is a router, does the modem come into the picture somewhere?

Might be a conflict between the two.

Message 2 of 5
TheEther
Guru

The guest network isolation won't work the way you have it set up.  As far as the WNDR3700v3 is concerned, all of the devices on the WAN side are on the Internet and, therefore, freely accessible by guest devices.  For the guest network to work, you either need to put all devices, such as your desktop, on the LAN side of the WNDR3700v3.  You should also disable the main router or else you will have double NAT.

If your main router supports VLANs, then this can be used to segregate the WNDR3700v3 from the rest of the network.  VLAN support, however, is not that common in consumer routers.

Message 3 of 5
vernonls
Star

OK, well I thank you for your contribution.  I had an older Linksys router WRT55AGver2 that allowed me to set up a rule to send all traffic for a defined IP range to null.  The Netgear router does not have that feature.

So, what I think I will do is set my newer Netgear Cable Router N300 C3000 with a guest network.  And see if that will isolate my private network from the guest network devices.  If it does, I will set my model wndr3700v3 as a repeater just to get a bit better signal in the living room/kitchen, upstairs, etc.  I will post here after I have tried that. 

Thanks again for confirming what I had pretty much determined via my own testing.

Vern

Message 4 of 5
vernonls
Star

OK, well I tried using the wndr3700v3 as a repeater for my exisisting Netgear N300 Model C2000 and it was pretty much of a bust.  The manual that shipped with the wndr3700 was useless as it did not have anything about using it as a repeater.  When I googled how to do it, I saw that it would limit me to only WEP encryption, so I decided that I would just live with the range limitations of having the main router in my office.  And I could never get the repeater to work at all.

I think if I ever get serious about it, I will buy a pair of Orbi routers (master,slave), disable the wireless function of the router in my office.  Then I could put the master Orbi and the slave in my living room so I could then have a really private LAN and wireless access for my guests.  For now the guests will just have to do with less than perfect wireless in the living room.

vern

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7