× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wndr4300 READYSHARE

brian_j
Aspirant

wndr4300 READYSHARE

Having trouble setting up usb drive on my whdr4300 router ...

Under Create Network Folder, it lists my USB drive,

But "Browse" button for folder does not display any of the directories on the drive.

Is a permissions problem?

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
brian_j
Aspirant

Re: wndr4300 READYSHARE

Added several thousand media files and everything seemed fine.  Was listening to audio tracks. Half an hour later, the server started going was up and down.

It came backup, but many of my media files were not available.  

I tried to rescan the media files and it didn't do anything.  I tried deleting the contents in the .ReadDLNA file, but it would not let me rebuild.  The log said something about the art cache ( appeared to be an error, I don't recall ).

I had to repair the drive, then completely delete the .ReadyDLNA directory, then the scan started to work ( according the the minidlna.log ).

Lesson: Delete the entire .ReadyDLNA directory ( including the directory ) to force a media rescan.

So far, the ReadyDLNA, ReadyShare, and ReadyNasRemote is working as it should.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 22

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @brian_j

Is this working before?

What's the brand of the USB drive you're using?

Did you try unplugging and replugging the USB drive?

Also, have you tried using a different web browser?

Message 2 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I tried again a couple days later and it was working!  I did absolutely nothing.  Crazy!

Today, I hit the "rescan media files" button under Advanced->Ready SHARE->Media Server and the ReadyDLNA has not come back.   Is it taking a long time to rebuild?  Where is the log file to see what is happening?

I unplugged and reconnected the USB drive from the router, now I can't see any of the folders under the ReadyShare menu ( in genie ).

This product is frustrating!

Message 3 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

After deleting and readding the USB drive in the Advanced Settings/USB Setttings, My drive is now visible in the ReadyShare Basic Settings.  However, using Creater Network Folder's Folder Browse does not display any of the folders on the drive.  This is what happened to me the first time. Once I tried again several days later, the directories were visible and everything worked correctly.  When operational the UPnP, remote access, etc worked perfectly.

Guess, I'll have to wait until the router fixes itself ...

Message 4 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

... It's back!  Not touching anything else!

Message 5 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it mean that it's working as it should?

Message 6 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

Everything is working fine except the DLNA server disappeared.   I can access the \\READYSHARE\SHARES and can access them from the NasReady App.

I can also access the files fine using smb:.  But the UpnP/DLNA server is not visible.

In Genie, ReadyShare Media Server is Enabled.

Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How do you access the DLNA files?

Message 8 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I meant to type UpnP Server ( UpnpPlay, BubbleUpnP player, etc )

Message 9 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the firmware version installed on your router?

Have you tried using a different DLNA server?

How about unchecking the "Enable Media Server" then hit apply.

After that, recheck the option and save again the settings.

See if this helps.

Message 10 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

firmware version: V1.0.2.80

I've tried restarting (rechecking) the media server and can't see the windr4300:ReadyDLNA server

Message 11 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I have the UPnP turned on, but the server does not appear on the network.

Message 12 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps this is the answer to the question.

However, can you try to use a smaller USB capacity and see if the problem still persists.

Message 13 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I have upgraded the firmware to the version that you suggested.

And I completely deleted and rebuilt the .ReadyDLNA folder .... And everything is completely working.

I did delete a ton of media files.  Is there a limit to the number of files that can be in on the USB?

Thanks for your help!

Brian.

Message 14 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should be handle at least 10,000 files.

How many files do you have?

Message 15 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I have approximately 4000 files now.  But, I removed many to get it working again.  When reloaded, I'll be around 10,000.

I'm seeing the same media twice in several programs.  I'm suspecting that the .ReadyDLNA/files.db is listing each file twice.

I'm trying to figure out the binary format of this file, so that I can rebuild it myself.

Message 16 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try starting from scratch?

How is it going so far?

Message 17 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

I'm so frustrated!!!!   Yesterday, everthing was fine.  I transfered a kindle document to \\READYSHARE\MY_SHARE and the .flac database got deleted!

I'm trying to rescan and rebuild the USB drive.  Now I can't access the USB drive from Network genie.   When I go into the ReadyShare Basic Settings, Edit, Create Network Share, then Hit Browse ( to select folder ), no directories are displayed.  This happened to me before and it finally came back but I don't know how.

I'm close to throwing away this router and buying better one ( that isn't netgear ).

Message 18 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

This is unbelieveable!   I rebooted the cable modem and the Router and it came back to life!  ( I did this 4 times yesterday, but something was different today )

All is back to normal.   

Will play with adding more media files this weekend.

Message 19 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like it's playing you. 🙂

Anyway, add little by little and see how it goes.

Message 20 of 22
brian_j
Aspirant

Added several thousand media files and everything seemed fine.  Was listening to audio tracks. Half an hour later, the server started going was up and down.

It came backup, but many of my media files were not available.  

I tried to rescan the media files and it didn't do anything.  I tried deleting the contents in the .ReadDLNA file, but it would not let me rebuild.  The log said something about the art cache ( appeared to be an error, I don't recall ).

I had to repair the drive, then completely delete the .ReadyDLNA directory, then the scan started to work ( according the the minidlna.log ).

Lesson: Delete the entire .ReadyDLNA directory ( including the directory ) to force a media rescan.

So far, the ReadyDLNA, ReadyShare, and ReadyNasRemote is working as it should.

Message 21 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@brian_j Thanks for the update! Glad it's working.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7