Re: wndr4500 and IPV6 capable?

ron351
Novice

wndr4500 and IPV6 capable?

My service provider sent a message saying the service will be going to the IPV6 in the future.
Will the wndr4500 be able to work or a firmware available for the transition to IPV6 in the future?
They say the entire internet will be IPV6 eventually.
I hope the wndr4500 will be able to work with this, I hate buying buying buying everytime there are changes.
Ron
Message 1 of 7
paspro
Aspirant

The current firmware of WNDR4500 supports IPv6 but that does not mean that it will be compatible with the IPv6 service provided by your ISP. For example, it is not compatible with my ISP which provides IPv6 through DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation although the router is supposed to support this protocol. I have a support ticket open for this issue.
Message 2 of 7
NLK21
Aspirant

See Page 108 of the latest available WNDR4500 User Guide for IPV6 compatibility:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4500/WNDR4500_UM_08Jul12.pdf

Cheers!!!
Message 3 of 7
cpe111
Novice

WNDR4500 will work on comcast's service but support is limited. Whereas it will support IPV6 connectivity there is no IPV6 firewall support. If you want to allow inbound access to any devices you are stuck with IPv4 port forwarding.

I did speak to netgear support concerning this and furute support of IPV6 firewaling but found them to be generally ignorant of IPv6 and really got nowhere.

The Linksys product provides IPv6 and IPv6 firewall support.
Message 4 of 7
ron351
Novice

paspro wrote:
The current firmware of WNDR4500 supports IPv6 but that does not mean that it will be compatible with the IPv6 service provided by your ISP. For example, it is not compatible with my ISP which provides IPv6 through DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation although the router is supposed to support this protocol. I have a support ticket open for this issue.
Appreciate it paspro, I hope my ISP will be a little better with the IPv6 time will tell. I just wanted to be ready ahead of time. Thanks again. Ron
Message 5 of 7
ron351
Novice

cpe111 wrote:
WNDR4500 will work on comcast's service but support is limited. Whereas it will support IPV6 connectivity there is no IPV6 firewall support. If you want to allow inbound access to any devices you are stuck with IPv4 port forwarding. I did speak to netgear support concerning this and furute support of IPV6 firewaling but found them to be generally ignorant of IPv6 and really got nowhere. The Linksys product provides IPv6 and IPv6 firewall support.
Thanks for the info cpe111.
Message 6 of 7
ron351
Novice

NLK21 wrote:
See Page 108 of the latest available WNDR4500 User Guide for IPV6 compatibility: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4500/WNDR4500_UM_08Jul12.pdf Cheers!!!
Thanks nlk21 saved the pdf and see the IPv6 section. Didn't notice it there before, but recall now. Thanks again, Ron
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E