drnrg
Aspirant

wndr4500 corrupted firmware - twice

At least twice in the past 3 months my wndr4500 has self-corrupted the firmware for not apparent reason. I've been able to restore via tftp twice now but it really is inconvenient. My old linksys wrt54gl lasted 5+ years without a reboot, is this a common issue? what have other users done to resolve this?
Message 1 of 4

Re: wndr4500 corrupted firmware - twice

Greetings, This is not common based on what I've read. When the "corruption" occurs, what gets affected? You cannot login, router dies and won't function. Settings won't save? One or more of the configuration pages does not display? The only things I imagine might cause something like this are severe power flucuations or bad flash memory. Maybe someone else has other ideas?
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 4
drnrg
Aspirant

shadowsports wrote:
Greetings,
This is not common based on what I've read. When the "corruption" occurs, what gets affected? You cannot login, router dies and won't function. Settings won't save? One or more of the configuration pages does not display?

The only things I imagine might cause something like this are severe power flucuations or bad flash memory.

Maybe someone else has other ideas?

hi there, router doesn't function at all and you cant login via admin screen (flashing orange light from memory). Definitely no severe power fluctuations here, so does that mean it has poor flash memory?
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure you place the router under APC Back-up UPS or similar

Power fluctuation do happen even power it all working for your home light etc. voltage can change constantly at small amounts.

In order to isolate issues I would place in backup ups and also it will help to prolong the units
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation