Highlighted
Aspirant

wnr2000 v3 - Cannot Connect to Wireless Network

I have a wnr2000v3 with the latest firmware (V1.1.2.10). I use an external modem for my Charter cable Internet. I've had the router a little over a year and this is the third time I've had this problem. Suddenly, none of my devices can connect to the router for several hours even though the router says everything is working fine. I can connect over LAN with no issues and the Internet is fine. Resetting the router and modem doesn't change anything. The first time it happened I even reset the router to factory settings but I still couldn't connect to the router wirelessly. Then, after several hours (4-6) it just started working again.

The first time it happened was three days after the free support expired and the rep on the phone spent about 10 minutes diagnosing the problem before assuring me it was easily fixed and then telling me he couldn't give me the solution and starting a hard sell of their universal tech support plans. I understand the last part is not particularly relevant but he promised the router was working fine.

I'm sure if I just wait a few hours I'll be able to connect normally again like nothing ever happened but there has to be a way to fix this. In case it's helpful to know, the wireless network is secured with WPA2-PSK [AES] and I don't broadcast the SSID.
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: wnr2000 v3 - Cannot Connect to Wireless Network

Check for any channel interference issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Check for any channel interference issues

I have tried this but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm using channel 9 right now. With inSSIDer the only other consistent networks besides mine are channels 1-4. There is a weak signal on channel 6, 7 and 11 occasionally but I hardly ever see them.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, it's all working again. I didn't do anything. About 5 hours this time. Doesn't make any sense to me. If I can't figure this out I'm just going to get a different router or get one through Charter so they'll give me support. The router works like it should most of the time and it may be in perfect working condition but I'm not going to put up with these episodes when I never had a problem like this with other routers in the same configuration. Input is still appreciated, though. Thanks for the response, jmizoguchi.
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Virtuoso

1,6.11 for US and 13 for Europe

These channel is what you want you se Channel 9 will overlap with other channels
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

I switched to 11 but I know I've tried that channel in the past and it didn't fix the issue. Hopefully it will give me better overall connection quality, though. Thanks again.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements