Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

wnr2000v3 connection drops intermittently

I have a Netgear wnr2000v3. I've found that after a given amount of time(1 to 4 hours), the router will lose connection with my Lexmark Pro 901 Wi-Fi printer and sometimes my laptop as well while wirelessly connected to the network.

I've found the work around for this is to login to the router, go into wireless
settings and click apply. The router will reset and the printer will print.

What I don't know is why the router loses connection in the first place.

Both the printer and the router are WPS capable, but they won't set up that way and just give a connection error. Very rarely, the laptop will lose connection with the router and I have to use the desktop which is connected by cat5 to login to the router.

Same temp work around still works.

None of this tells me what the trouble is.

Have tried restarting the router, which works but is more labor intensive than the work around. Restarting the printer has no effect.

The Printer is only 5 feet from the router so not a distance issue. Yes, I could buy a cable and connect the 2, but why buy the wi-fi in the first place then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: wnr2000v3 connection drops intermittently

I have been having connection issues as well where my laptop just loses the Wifi connection. The cable modem seems to always work. I can reestablish the connection if I disconnect from the Wifi and then reconnect, but this is very annoying as sometimes I have to do it every 2 minutes. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Message 2 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nope, not a clue. This is apparently so common or so rare or something (maybe I haven't given enough info) I just don't know.
Message 3 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I am having the same problem. Wireless connection drops a couple times a day and you cannot reconnect unless you restart the router or do the less-disruptive workaround noted above. I am hoping to navigate the support site and get an answer from Netgear, but maybe someone here has already happened upon a solution.
Message 4 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for posting a band-aid fix to the router issue.

I recently purchased this router this past Sunday after retiring my Linksys WRT54G and was hoping this router would satisfy my wifi needs. However these disconnects are getting extremely annoying.

I've also found that after playing World of Warcraft after X amount of hours, the exact same scenario happens above. It doesn't seem to happen with other games or applications.
Message 5 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I get the same problem and it is very annoying. I was not doing this before at all.... any solution yet?
Message 6 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

Any thoughts on whether this model WNR2000 is more or less suceptible to drops than other models? I just bought one, but am tempted to return it unopened and get a WNDR3400 which I've had a good experience with so far. Are the newer models more robust?

Reading internet reviews can drive you crazy, "best router I ever owned...", "no problems connecting...", "piece of trash....". !!!
Message 7 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the exact same behavior here. Workaround is the same. Problem is only with wireless.

Any fixes appreciated.
Message 8 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, after further research, found:

Sticky: NETGEAR Product compatibility for Microsoft Windows 7
jmizoguchi

Following the posted link and a bit more research one finds:

System Requirements Microsoft Windows ME, 2000, XP or Vista; Mac OS; UNIX; Linux; Internet Explorer 5.0; built-in draft-N (802.11n) or 802.11b/g wireless networking or draft-N (802.11n) or 802.11b/g network adapter; broadband cable or DSL network with Ethernet connection

Notice the lack of Win7 compatibility. This sucks.
Message 9 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been dealing with the same problem, and I haven't figured out how to fix, other than restarting the router. Curious to know if anyone finds a solution. I thought it was just the wireless connection, but now it is happening even with a wired connection.
Message 10 of 31
Highlighted

THIS IS NOT A THREADJACK. IT'S MORE INFO ON A SIMILAR NETGEAR ROUTER AND SOME STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO TRY AND RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

I have a WNR1000 v3. The wifi cuts out/dies multiple times a day on the thing, enough to make me strongly consider getting a WRT54G off of ebay (G-only but the wireless I guarantee you will NEVER die.) I'd rather have stable G than N at this point; I can't make a 16kbps VOIP call reliably without losing half the conversation.

OK, first of all, things that I have tried, and that you should try too, in order to see if they resolve your issue (these didn't resolve mine but this isn't my first time round the block with a router so these are pretty standardSmiley Happy

1) Set the router to channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11, whichever it isn't on. These are the only three channels (in G mode, but anyway) that do not "overlap" into other channels. It may be that there's tons of routers nearby that are on 6; going to channel 1 or 11 would resolve that issue.

2) I know I know don't kill me for this, but make sure you haven't got a 2.4GHz cordless phone, or some other device that transmits at 2.4GHz. If you have a microwave, can you cause it by running the microwave? Baby monitors are also known to use 2.4GHz frequencies... Bluetooth operates at 2.4GHz... there's LOTS of stuff that does.

3) The router needs to be as up-in-the-air as possible. These things put out mW, or milliwatts of energy, so the slightest impediment to signal, be it something blocking it, or interference, is going to cause either total, or near-total signal loss. Also, it would be rather bad to have it next to, oh say an electrical circuit breaker box, the transmitter for your cordless phone...

4) Set your router to G-only speeds (54Mbps instead of anything above that) to make your router more compatible, albeit slower.

Still not working right yet? That's fine, I'm not done yet. Smiley Wink

5) If you have multiple wireless devices in the house, is the drop occuring on ALL of them or just ONE of them? If it's one, there's a chance that device is the issue, and not the router.

6) Turn off encryption entirely and try testing for a drop without it enabled. (You might want to unplug everything / not wireless connect everything except one "test" device, since you're no longer protected from wireless evesdropping by your encryption.)

7) If you're using MAC Address filtering for Wifi (ie, only allowing certain devices to connect based on their MAC address,) then disable that feature.

8) Reset your router to the default settings, AFTER you back up your settings first so that you can restore them, should this not work.

9) Manually "tell the router" to check for a firmware upgrade.

There are more things that you could do (downgrading to an earlier firmware, for one) that I won't advise on because they're potentially risky.

I have done *all* the above on my WNR1000v3. I just got a new version of the firmware (which isn't even posted on Netgear's support site. WHY?) but I don't hold out hope for that, either.

So, if you haven't done something that I listed, I would suggest trying it out. Yes, I know you shouldn't have to, but if one of these things works, you won't care that you shouldn't have had to. Smiley Happy

Meanwhile, let me take this opportunity to chastise Netgear on this forum for making a router with crappier wireless stability than a router from 2004-2006.

If I don't get mine working, this will be the last Netgear product that I ever purchase, ever again.
Message 11 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same thing. Is there any evidence that Netgear is paying any attention? I got a recent router firmware update that changed the look of the web interface, but it has not changed the intermittent drops.

BTW, I've found that I don't need to completely restart the router -- clicking INTERNET and APPLY or TEST seems to update the router settings and brings the connection back online. Quicker than a full reboot.

Come on, Netgear -- get it together. This is not an isolated problem.
Message 12 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

Having same problem with WNR1000V2, this is ridiculous.

Anyone from Netgear listening and offer to help?
Message 13 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

heckandarn wrote:

Notice the lack of Win7 compatibility. This sucks.

I bought my router ... end of september, or october and the box says Windows 7 on it. My router worked FINE until 2 days ago. Like I said in another post... I was getting 60/8 on wireless at 15ft from the router. I pay for 50/8.

Message 14 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

I purchased a wnr2000v3 this summer (probably July) and it worked perfectly until about 2 or 3 weeks ago when it started dropping all connections intermittently. It was pretty ridiculous; I would unplug and then replug the router and it would get things working again for a maximum of an hour or two.

Given that there didn't appear to be anything physically wrong with the device, I decided to try to upgrade the firmwide. I went to Netgear's product support page for the wnr2000v3 (http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/17023) and followed their instructions to download the latest version of the firmware (1.1.1.58). When I went to install it on the router, I found that I already had this version installed but I thought I might as well reinstall it from what I had just downloaded. Since then, the router seems to be back to normal operation. I've had one laptop connected without interruption until now (probably close to 24 hours). If things change I'll post an update but for the moment it seems that reinstalling the firmware of the Netgear website fixed the problem. Go figure... there might be something that corrupts the software and requires a reinstall of the firmware. I'd be interested in knowing if this helps others as well or if someone finds a different (confirmed) solution...
Message 15 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

having said that i just read the other thread with the security and performance issues with the latest version of the firmware so I may go back to an older version... But it seems that reinstalling the firmware did (at least for now) fix the connectivity issue...
Message 16 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Lost connectivity again today so it wasn't fixed by upgrading / reinstalling the firmware...
Message 17 of 31
Highlighted
Aspirant

thanks for that update Youssa. Glad I didn't bother d/l the update from the website yet. lol.

I am still using the v2 that I bought last month and hooked up because of the disconnect problems with the v3. Haven't had a disconnect in 2 days.

I, too started getting disconnect problems w/ the v3 except I hadn't upgraded yet. That's what prompted me to upgrade, because I ASSUMED, like an iphone app, it doesn't work properly if it needs an update. SMH. Last time I assume THAT! Smiley Wink

If you don't downgrade and you are worried about the lack of log in credentials needed for the router, I guess you could hide the network. That's what I am going to do should I get the router working again.
Message 18 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I've had a wnr1000v3 for a while working fine with several wireless devices until I made the mistake of updating the firmware. I updated from the shipped version, possibly v1.0.2.18 to v1.0.2.42 and am now having the same intermittent wireless issues mentioned. Is there anyway of downgrading the firmware? I have tried downloading an older version and installing it but it doesn't complete. I tried the recovery disc software but it knows it's not corrupt so doesn't do anything. I wondered about intentionally corrupting the firmware by re-installing the current version and cutting the power during update but I guess that's pretty likely to brick it. Any suggestions?
Message 19 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I bought the WNR2000v3 a week ago or so and have had the same problem with my connection dropping, but it doesn't just drop on one device, it drops on all of them, which about 4 or 5. I upgraded to the new firmware right after I got everything set up, so I don't know if the old one would of worked better or not.

This is ridiculous. Obviously this is a major fault on Netgears side with design. If I can't find a fix tonight then I'm taking it back tomorrow for a Cisco wireless router. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Netgear products.
Message 20 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

Obiwan23 wrote:
I've had a wnr1000v3 for a while working fine with several wireless devices until I made the mistake of updating the firmware. I updated from the shipped version, possibly v1.0.2.18 to v1.0.2.42 and am now having the same intermittent wireless issues mentioned. Is there anyway of downgrading the firmware? I have tried downloading an older version and installing it but it doesn't complete. I tried the recovery disc software but it knows it's not corrupt so doesn't do anything. I wondered about intentionally corrupting the firmware by re-installing the current version and cutting the power during update but I guess that's pretty likely to brick it. Any suggestions?

Managed to get the downgrade to work. I had it connected via a switch and whilst the upgrade didn't mind not having a direct connection for some reason the downgrade needed a direct connection. I also used the IP address instead of www.routerlogin.net not sure if this also made a difference.
Message 21 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I have been experiencing the same problems. I retired my Linksys thinking that this would be better and faster, but every time I take my PC out of sleep mode I have to reset the router. Sometimes I am constantly resetting it for 10 minutes at a clip (no joke). Also, when my Lexmark Printer 901 series goes into sleep mode I cannot print from it until I unplug it and plug it again. At least my printer can reset itself, I wish my PC would or the router itself. The purpose of a wireless router in regards to a printer that has wifi on it, is to click "print" once so the document can print out, but I'm finding myself constantly getting up to reset everything.

I have to reset my router AT LEAST 6 times a day. NOT COOL! I don't know what to do. I've repeatedly reset my router and just recently I signed into some account that upgraded my NetGear and that only seemed to make it worse. It does not effect my smart phone or my Desk Top. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP, I'm very frustrated!!:confused:
Message 22 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I have the WNR2000v3, just updated it to the latest firmware today. But I've been having the same intermittent but frequent dropouts for weeks now. Problem persists with the new firmware today. I am probably going to go buy a competitor's product today, and stay away from Netgear from now on. My old Linksys WRT54G worked like a champ for several years. Eventually it gave up the ghost and I had to replace it a few months ago. The Netgear looked like a good product. I think I was wrong. I've seen a lot of people posting here with the same problem, and have not seen any indication from Netgear reps that they acknowledge the flaw or have any suggestions that will actually help.
Message 23 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I found a setting I was wondering about and did some digging...

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=46515&page=7

rsngt wrote:
I have a suggestion for some of you having connectivity issues. I think I have resolved my issue today.

Since getting my WNDR3700 I have had IP-level drops every couple of hours. While my laptop (MAcBook Pro) reports full strength Wifi connection at speeds of up to 300mbps, at the same time I can't surf the Internet, sync email or even ping machines on the local network. This would happen every couple of hours, and if I left it alone, would come right some time between 3 and 5 minutes later. In the meantime all my network connections to NAS box etc had dropped.

This only happened on the 5GHz band, 2.4GHz would stay connected with no issues. Interestingly, the connection would stay up all night (presumably when there was little or no traffic), but would fail within a hour or so in the morning once I started to use it. I know this because I wrote a simple script to continually ping my NAS box so I could trawl through the output to see if the connection dropped.

Remember, it was only the "IP-level" that dropped, my "radio level" (Wifi) connection stayed.

I gradually worked through a number of things to try and resolve based on items on this and other forums (changing security mode, power, channels, max speed on 802.11g mode etc) and eventually got to changing the Fragmentation Length and CTS/RTS Threshold settings on the 5GHz band. Defaults are 2346 and 2347 respectively. I have changed these to 2306 and 2307 respectively. (note I changed of the previous setting changes back after trying it, so as to find the "one thing" that was causing my issue).

It's now been 6 hours and not one drop.

Fingers crossed, and I hope this helps someone else.

As this user suggested, I've tried changing my Fragmentation Length to 2306 and my CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307. And likewise, my dropouts have ceased for now. But as a result of this troubleshooting, I also installed InSSIDer and as far as I can tell this WNR2000v3 broadcasts a feeble signal. My wifi computers are no more than 25 feet away from the router, separated by nothing worse than drywall and 2x4s... and the signal strength is no better than -60dB. I'm going to go buy another router and test the signal strength.
Message 24 of 31
Highlighted
Novice

I spoke too soon. It just dropped out again. On my way to (ugh) Best Buy. Thanks Netgear.
Message 25 of 31