× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wnr3500lv2 wireless keeps dropping after ISP problem

lterri
Tutor

wnr3500lv2 wireless keeps dropping after ISP problem

Since my ISP restored network access after it went down during a storm (it uses point-to-point technology, which is problematic in bad weather), I only have wired access with my wnr3500lv2 router. Wireless keeps coming on and off, lasting for a few seconds at most.

I have tried the following, all to no avail:
- Reboot (via the Netgear interface)
- Hard factory reset
- Turning off/on wifi button on back panel

The Netgear interface reflects the same intermittent wireless activity in the following dialogs:
- Basic: Wireless goes on and off (mostly)
- Advanced: wireless settings on (green), most times off (red x)
- Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings: Enable Wireless Router Radio sometimes checked, other times not. Even if I manually check and save it, it will be off again, either immediately or a few seconds later.

From my device, I have only been able to have wireless access via my iphone once, for a second or so, before losing it. Most times it won't connect at all, or give me the misleading error message that the password is incorrect (even though I hadn't changed it). I have no better luck if I turn off security altogether.

My question is:
- is there something else I should try ?
- or should I replace my router (could the storm have damaged it somehow?)
I just want to make sure a new router won't run into the same issue.

It has the latest firmware Version V1.2.0.56_50.0.96

Thank you for any advice!

Model: WNR3500Lv2|N300 Wireless Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: wnr3500lv2 wireless keeps dropping after ISP problem

Hi @lterri, let us know how the new router goes.

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Storms are good at wrecking electronics.  It sounds like you've tried most of the things i'd recommend. Here's the only 2 I could think of trying.

1. reload the firmware. Factory reset just erases the settings. if the firmware was corrupt, restoring doesn't help. You'd need to reload it. So redo it over a hardwired connection and factory reset it afterward.

2. Check the power supply. Occasionally these go bad or the storm caused to go bad. I wouldn't buy one but if you have a one around with the same voltage and at least the same amperage, it'll work to try out. 

Reason I wouldn't buy a new power supply to test is the fact that this router was made it 2011. As much as I don't like throwing away good electronics, the $ would be better put towards upgrading the router. Its a single band wireless N300. A half decent gigabit dual band router can be bought for relatively cheap and have much more capabilities. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNR3500Lv2.aspx

Message 2 of 5
lterri
Tutor

Thank you for your suggestions - I tried reinstalling the firmware, but to no avail.

I didn't attempt anything regarding the power supply, other than unplugging it and plugging it back on again; I figure it must work well enough if the wired connection works.

So I gave up and ordered another, hopefully better and faster Netgear router 🙂

Model: WNR3500Lv2|N300 Wireless Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @lterri, let us know how the new router goes.

Dexter

Message 4 of 5
lterri
Tutor

hi

My new AC1200 works great! so much faster, esp the wifi, so I ended up being glad the old one died.

Next time there's a severe thunderstorm though, I think I will shut down the router 😉

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7