Highlighted
Aspirant

wps and passphrase question

i just switched form a wndr 3700 to wndr 4500v2 I dont use the security key or wups push. I disabled router pin in wps as i use pass phrase and wpa2. I had to uncheck enable router pin to disable it.

I1)s this a good idear or should reactivate as i dont use it and by deactivating pin am i loosing security or am i overacting.

2) I used the passphrase and router network name that came with 4500. Tthe passphraseis 15 characters. How secure is the passphrase that comes with the router and it this unique to this router oe is the same passphrase used in the other routers
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: wps and passphrase question

martyr wrote:
I1)s this a good idear or should reactivate as i dont use it and by deactivating pin am i loosing security or am i overacting.

The WPS PIN should be secure nowadays, but it has been a known security bug in all routers (of all brands) a couple of years ago. I suggest simply disabling the PIN, you can still use WPS. Netgear posted an article on this last year;
How do NETGEAR Home routers defend WiFi Protected Setup PIN against brute force vulnerability? - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19824

martyr wrote:

2) I used the passphrase and router network name that came with 4500. Tthe passphraseis 15 characters. How secure is the passphrase that comes with the router and it this unique to this router oe is the same passphrase used in the other routers

The passphrase is unique for Your router. What's good about that preconfigured wireless network is that the name and passphrase both are printed on the back of the router. Smiley Happy
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You already disable the WPS already so that is a good move.

Most new router do come with preconfigured passphrase for WPA2. Your questions is how strong is it? Been the mixed letter and number it is maybe strong enough but WPA2 can use more character than reconfigured passphrase is.

WPA2 in general are very long process to hack over old WEP which are hack in few min or less.

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

You will able to see how long you can generate to use so if you are in very saturated area and /or freak about it change to longer passphrase.

*. SSID and Passphrase is preconfigured differently and I have not seen same one yet
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

thanks i disabled the pin ty taking check mark off box to enable pin. My wps litht still blinks on and off is that normal
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Power cycle to stop it from blinking.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements