Aspirant

Access Point?

I just received this option, and here's what I'm trying to do:
1) I have FIOS with the ActionTec router
2) I have to keep the ActionTec router because the program guide comes through the ActionTec, plus it supports MOCA which is quite handy.
3) So I've used WiFi routers before in what I've called "Transparent Bridge" mode.
4) I saw no such option, but I clicked "Access Point", which seemed to do make it work as a transparent bridge
5) The reason why is I'd like to have the ActionTec hand out the IP addresses so everything is on the same network.
6) But I'd like to take advantage of all the other network features of the WNDR4500, but as soon as I clicked "Access Point", I could no longer access the WNDR4500, it was truely invisible on the network.

Can this be done?
Luminary

Re: Access Point?

you need to some how allow actiontec to pass public IP or use DMZ on actiontec and use 4500 as an router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
you need to some how allow actiontec to pass public IP or use DMZ on actiontec and use 4500 as an router

So what does "Access Point" do on the router, and how do I get out of "Access Point" mode, since I can no longer access the modem?
Luminary

reset the unit will the easiest way to cure the issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Its in access point mode, IE, all routing disabled.

It will have an IP provided by your network so to access the netgear just look at DHCP from other device and see what address it assigned it.

Or you can always factory reset.

In AP mode its basically a basic Access Point and still gives the ability to use the USB ports but thats about it.
Aspirant

Cybercare wrote:
Its in access point mode, IE, all routing disabled.

It will have an IP provided by your network so to access the netgear just look at DHCP from other device and see what address it assigned it.

Or you can always factory reset.

In AP mode its basically a basic Access Point and still gives the ability to use the USB ports but thats about it.

Thanks, it is as I suspected.

If I set my Actiontec to be WPA2 and use "Wireless Repeating, what does this get me?
Aspirant

Oh, also, does the USB port not support an NTFS formatted USB drive?
Luminary

you can NOT use WPA2 repeat so I would say that is out of your choices

WEP will be used.

if you want extend then look at wn2000rpt, wn300rp which WILL work with WPA2(joins the existing network and not repeating) Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Luminary

tkrotchko wrote:
Oh, also, does the USB port not support an NTFS formatted USB drive?

it uses linux base partition
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
you can NOT use WPA2 repeat so I would say that is out of your choices

WEP will be used.

So now I'm really confused. Why would the 4500 have the option of repeating, and WEP would be used if the 4500 doesn't support WEP?
Luminary

I heard new model has dropped WEP
You can try If works. 50/50 Chance otherwise I would use extender
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Its possible AP mode will still do what you want. I am in similar boat in that I must use another device for DHCP, routing etc which is why I use AP mode.

What is it you want the WNDR4500 to do?

Have you tried having it in AP mode and accessing it to see if it has options you are after? You can turn on AP mode and give it a static IP on your same network (of course make sure its not a address something else has) and than when you hit save you will know what addy to go to.
Aspirant

Cybercare wrote:
Its possible AP mode will still do what you want. I am in similar boat in that I must use another device for DHCP, routing etc which is why I use AP mode.

What is it you want the WNDR4500 to do?

Have you tried having it in AP mode and accessing it to see if it has options you are after? You can turn on AP mode and give it a static IP on your same network (of course make sure its not a address something else has) and than when you hit save you will know what addy to go to.

In AP mode, the local address on the network disappeared, which is what had me baffled.

Here's what I'd like to do:

My actiontec router is in the basement where the demarc is, and where my network closet is. The actiontec router is fine, although it doesn't have "N", it does have MOCA that I use extensively in addition to Gigabit Ethernet in the house.

The problem is on the 1st and 2nd floor the signal is so weak when I installed some wireless cameras, they drop out.

I had an old Linksys router that I flashed with some newer open firmware to give me transparent bridging. The theory was sound, but the WRT54G antenna design is so ancient that I was not getting a good signal as close as 20 feet away.

So I decided on the 4500, which had everything I was looking for, including the ability to make content available on the network. The problem is that of course, if you put it as a standard WiFi router, its already on a 192 network, the 4500 to its credit realizes what's going on (sorta), and puts everything on a 10's network.

Which means that doing things like SMB, FTP, and multimedia sharing is not available to anything on the "other side" of the 4500.

This could all work if I could do (a) transparent bridging (b) eliminate the firewall, and still get access to the router for multimedia sharing, but it seems I can't do it with this router.

I just got it last night, so perhaps I need to tinker more, but I'd sure like more access to the thing so I could shut down the firewall, have it ARP itself as the router to the 10's network.

Its all possible, the tools are just too crude to do it Smiley Wink
Luminary

Do you have able to use ethanet cable ? If so simple AP like wn604 would give you wireless

Plus FTP ,etc access on 4500 use on Internet port so that is out of question when you setup as AP

When 4500 connoting LAN to LAN ports you will have limitation for AP setup
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

It sounds like you should want AP mode than, you want to use file share feature of 4500 with USB and the wireless N, but want to use your other device as the router itself?

Just factory reset the 4500 while its NOT plugged into your network, connect to it via Wireless from a laptop, go into the settings and turn on AP mode and when you check AP mode it should give you boxes to uncheck that will allow you to manually assign it an IP address. Give it an address not in use by something else but on the same network as your other router, hit save, plug it into your network and you should be able to access it now with the static IP you used, and still use network share feature and it be in simple AP mode, not doing firewall or anything else. That also keeps it from making a new network on the 10.x.x.x which happens because it sees another device on your network is doing DHCP. When you put it in AP mode it disables all that on its own but thus why you want to set all these before hooking into your network
Aspirant

Here's something I found online at http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/fios-with-a-secondary-router-266649.html :

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I have an 802.11n router, the D-Link DI-615, and it's connected to the Actiontec router supplied by Verizon. It works fine at full 802.11n speeds, that's not the issue.

I used the following configuration.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers)."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Luminary

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Same thing we suggest to router is set ip in AP connecting with ethernet cable
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Same thing we suggest to router is set ip in AP connecting with ethernet cable

I really appreciate all the help.

Right now, what's not clear to me is how to get to the Netgear's management screen and whether or not I can connect printers & USB devices.

If I can get those two things to work, I'll be happy.
Luminary

Within giving URL setup, you can still able to access the readshare ( USB) but you will NOT able to use FTP, http to access the ready share.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I'm using the WNDR4500 as an Access Point. It basically turns the router into a 4 port switch, along with wireless access. The IP address given to items plugged into the WNDR4500 will reflect the IP of the master router. I found using the yellow WAN port gave me issues. I plugged the Ethernet cable from my router downstairs into the WAN port of the WNDR4500. My VoIP phones would not work! Plugging the router Ethernet cable into one of the 4 LAN ports resolved all of that. I believe the WNDR4500 firewall kicks in when using the WAN port, even when in AP mode. So I've got nothing plugged into the yellow WAN port while in AP Mode.
Aspirant

Darkev wrote:
I'm using the WNDR4500 as an Access Point. It basically turns the router into a 4 port switch, along with wireless access. The IP address given to items plugged into the WNDR4500 will reflect the IP of the master router. I found using the yellow WAN port gave me issues. I plugged the Ethernet cable from my router downstairs into the WAN port of the WNDR4500. My VoIP phones would not work! Plugging the router Ethernet cable into one of the 4 LAN ports resolved all of that. I believe the WNDR4500 firewall kicks in when using the WAN port, even when in AP mode. So I've got nothing plugged into the yellow WAN port while in AP Mode.

You're right, and I figured that out yesterday.

For the Readyshare service, the application on the iPad shows two virtual IP addresses that do not announce themselves with any sort of DNS or NetBIOS names. I'd like to get that working.

Currently, my wife is struggling getting her VPN working with this setup and I'm puzzled since this setup looks rock rock solid.

Incidentally, I'm very impressed with the speed and flexibility of the radios on this access point. You can effectively set up 4 completely separate WiFi Networks (2x5ghz, 2x2.4ghz) and each can work at extremely high speed.

I like it a lot.
Discussion Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Top Contributors