Aspirant

Can't print web pages?

I did the firmware update for my wndr4500 over the weekend and now none of the computers on the router can print web pages. They print the title of rthe page and usually just the url at the bottom of the second page. so far I can';t find anything int he settings but will continue that search. All was fine before the firmware update as far as I know.

Anygone else have this or know what to do about it?
Luminary

Re: Can't print web pages?

hard reset the router after flashing the firmware.

back the router setting from the router GUI and restore it after hard reset
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I had just used the router function for updating the firmware which it appeared to do automatically but the Internet printint thing appeared. I unplugged the power for a while, restarted it and went back to factory settings, redid the name and all and Now it appears to be printing random things from the computer I print from!

Now I am really in trouble!
Apprentice

Please perform a hard reset of the router as was asked, as you have not done this yet. Once done, power cycle the router and reconfigure it back from scratch.
Aspirant

OK, I guess I don;t know what hard reset is. I thought that was unplugging it. do you mean holding the papercliup in the hole in the back? sorry, I'm 65 and taught myself enough about conmputers and stuff to get me in trouble. I guess.
Apprentice

The instructions are in June M's sig.

http://vpncasestudy.com/reset.html
Aspirant

I did the hard rest, held that until the light flashed. Went back to the router loging and it brought up the genie. I went into the router stuff, reset everything from the factory settings and while everything seems to work fine, the printing issue remains.
Is there a way to revert back to the old firmware when my world was an easy place? I can't find anything on the support site and what I can see is cut off on one side of thier frames!
Luminary

Go to support.netgear.com and look.

Sometime initial firmware may not listed if so you have contact support to get initial firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Apprentice

I suggest you remove the printer totally and re install it.
Aspirant

I spent quite a bit of time on the nettgear support site and finally found an older firmware version, downloaded that and installed it as described, same thing. I have taken the printer out entirely a few times now, still happens.
I am going to put one of the computers onto the modem dirfectly this morning (not an easy task here) to eliminate the router from the loop entirely. If it is able to print from the internet then I think we look at Lynksys or sometnhing. Netgear support wants nothing to do with it because it is over a year old. Maybe we shojld just buy a new router every year?
Luminary

Likely printer issues

Alway buy NETWORK READY printer and you will never have this issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

The printer has been network ready and printed anything just fine up until the firmware update. I routinely printed a page from the internet at least once per day (proofing a site) and that printer worked perfectly until this last weekend. Like I said, we will elliminate the router entirely today just to see.
Apprentice

Have you de installed the printer from your computer and re installed the drivers? This issue has been fixed many times by doing this.
Aspirant

Uninstalled it competely, dowloaded the new drivers, reinstalled the printer, printer recognized the router right off, re selectied the printer on each of the computers, the same thing across 5 computers. Everything works exactly as you would expect until you tryto print a web page. Anything else, PDF, Word, Notepad, Photoshop, everything prints perfectly.
Aspirant

This sounds more like a printer driver / html issue and less like the router. If you can print across your LAN then it probably is not the router.

You have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for your printer. Good. Now try deleting cookies and temp files. CCleaner does a nice job and is free. Also, try different web browsers. Some browsers work better than others viewing and printing a web page. Using Print Preview in your browser may help determine a printing issue before you send the job to the printer.
Highlighted
Luminary

Unless you can prove to print with USB directly to the printer but still network ready should work the same way and router would only do send thte data from PC to printer so it seems printer more issues to me.

Seems browser issues not able to print interfacing with printer drivers
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Discussion Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Top Contributors