Aspirant

Chromecast not working reliably - any suggestions?

I have had the chromecast working on a variety of networks.

It does not appear to be working well with the Netgear router. I have to reboot to allow it to be discovered. It will work for a few hours then stop. All hte devices are on the same guest network. The chromecast is 2 feet from the router.
Aspirant

Re: Chromecast not working reliably - any suggestions?

Can anybody out there help? I have same problem only worse, the network won't recognize the Chromecast. I've tried all the settings on the router, down to just using one 2.4 unsecured signal to no avail. Any suggestions?
Tutor

Router firmware?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

Netgear WNDR3800 firmware V1.0.0.44, supposed to be the latest.
Tutor

Latest, but not greatest. According to many a better version to use is v1.0.0.38. Read the "WNDR3800 Firmware Update v1.0.0.44" sticky at the top and the "WNDR3800 Firmware Update v1.0.0.40" thread still floating near the top, for more. If you need instructions for changing the router's firmware, see link in signature, step four. Although written for the WNDR3700, with a little preplanning you should be fine.

Having said that, I can't say with any certainty this will fix the Chromecast issue, but it is a place to start.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

Installed old version of firmware (V1.0.0.38) and still no Chromecast recognition by the router. I've concluded WNDR3800 is simply NOT compatible with Chromecast and will be purchasing another brand wifi router.
Tutor

Well, from reading Chromecast reviews, just changing router brands is no guarantee that it will work. Depending on the router I've seen solutions to connections issues ranging from "Enable ipv6" to "Disable WPS". It could be something as simple as "MAC Filtering". But, since you've decided to give up, so will I.

Good luck.
_____
Aspirant

I just recently purchased the WNDR3800 and discovered the same issue with the Chromecast device. From my testing and research I discovered that the Chromecast absolutely does like the 5ghz band. I believe I read this on a Google Chromecast support page.

The solution, at least in my case, was to disable the 5ghz band completely and then go through the Chromecast setup again. It is certainly not ideal, I kind of wanted the benefits of having a dual band router, but it is the only thing that keeps the Chromecast dongle chugging along.
Tutor

pettabytes wrote:
...From my testing and research I discovered that the Chromecast absolutely does like the 5ghz band. ...

Did you mean "does not like the 5ghz band"?
Making sure there is no confusion here.
Aspirant

kramerjm wrote:
I have had the chromecast working on a variety of networks.

It does not appear to be working well with the Netgear router. I have to reboot to allow it to be discovered. It will work for a few hours then stop. All hte devices are on the same guest network. The chromecast is 2 feet from the router.

I had the same problem with my Netgear router. I logged in as the administer and found that, for some reason, the 2.5g channel had been disconnected. I reconnected the 2.5g channel and Chromecast has been working non-stop for hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, that, was the problem.
Aspirant

I am using a wgr614v10 with firmware V1.0.2.54_60.0.82NA and the chrome-cast app does not even see the device. I am hesitant to make changes as my android phone, 2 iPhone, an ipad, a laptop, and an hp printer are really happy. Could this be a chromecast issue and not netgear? :confused:
Aspirant

Never mind. It looks like it was just a fluke. The connectivity problems have resumed. I cannot tell what the problem is. I do notice that whenever I lose connection with the router and Chromecast that my device is frantically searching for a new network. The device attempts to log into several available wifi networks and displays the message, "obtaining IP address" but it will not successfully connect to any of them. Normally, I have the option of waiting for the devices to reconnect to the router on their own which can take several minutes; or I can reset the router which is slightly faster. Either way, I can rarely watch an entire movie uninterrupted. Time Warner Cable is my service provider and my main wifi router is a WNDR3400 which connects to a WN2500rp extender. My Chromecast can connect to both routers but the signal is strongest with the WN2500. I've tried to run the Chromecast on both routers neither one stays connected consistently. The problem is sporadic though, so I'm wondering if it is something with Time Warner, as the problem most often happens during peak hours. I don't know very much about this stuff though, so hopefully a smart person can rescue me. :-)
Aspirant

Did you ever resolve this? I'm running into a similar situation with an R7000 router running as an access point.
Aspirant

I selected a specific channel rather than Auto

I've been having issues with my Chromecast as well. I've used two for almost a year and just recently they've stopped connecting to my network. I have a Netgear R7000 router and Comcast cable internet.

Today, on a whim, I looked through Netgear genie and decided to change my wifi channel option from auto to one specific channel. I reset the Chromecast attached to the tv I was watching and the Chromecast app on my iphone was able to detect the dongle again. I was going to repeat the reset procedure on the bedroom tv but when I checked on it the connection was good again. I watched Netflix for about an hour and several Youtube videos thru the Chromecast on the first tv and had no further issues so far.

Dunno if this will help anyone else.
Aspirant

I have a WNDRMACv2. I tried a few configuration changes suggested by the many blog posts, but disabling UPnP seemed to be the answer. Login to your wireless router (http://routerlogin.net). In Netgear genie (router web interface), go to Advanced tab, Advanced Setup, UPnP settings, and de-check the box for Turn UPnP On (mine was checked by default)...retest Chromecast setup...mine worked (and then started a 30 minute download of the latest software. Best of luck!
Aspirant

The Chromecast requires a 2.4Ghz network. 

I have had it working on Netgear and it works 100% reliable. If you try and connect to a 5Ghz network it wont. It should see your 2.4Ghz network in the setup configuration. You need to make sure that you network is on and running and that 2.4Ghz is enable and open to connect to. It will connect to secured as long as you have a key which you will need. If it doesn't work or see the network turn off (pull the power plug) the Chromecast, make sure your wifi is running correctly first, make sure the chrome cast is plugged into an HDMI port and that the cast device (TV) is turned on. ONLY then power up the Chromecast, run up the device following the on screen options. Once it is installed you do not see the set up options any longer. 

If using Chrome browser from a PC it works wellespecially casting Youtube but it will cast anything a Chrome Browser can go to. Excellent device that costs very little. Have it working with a squillion devices (hand helds) both at home and in our sailing club. Highly recommended piece of kit for not much money.

Discussion Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors