× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect pc via ethernet

Zapu
Aspirant

Connect pc via ethernet

Trying to add ethernet connection from pc to modem/router. Says connected but no internet access (wifi access works)

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Zapu
Aspirant

Re: Connect pc via ethernet

Reconnected and ran trouble shooter. All fixed. Thanks a lot for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

Is this a Windows PC?

Do you have the right drivers for the on-board LAN?

Message 2 of 8
Zapu
Aspirant

Thanks. It's a W10 pc but my technical ability does not include knowing about relevant drivers

Message 3 of 8

Have you run the network troubleshooter in Windows 10?

Unfortunately, my experience is that Windows 10 arrives with generic drivers. These are the bits of software that sit between the hardware and the PC. I had to get the right drivers for the LAN bit of the PC. This can involve getting the drivers from the PC maker.

First, is the PC's LAN socket connected to the right socket in the router?

Which router are we talking about? You may have given the forum this information, but it has not passed it on to the rest of us.

Message 4 of 8
Zapu
Aspirant

Yes I ran the trouble shooter but not much help. The cable is in the right hand socket (coloured red) and the Router is 6400 (Netgear55). Says I'm connected but no internet access. Wifi is strong (and I have a Google Wifi connected too and that seems OK). I was really only wanting an ethernet connection for extra stability.

Message 5 of 8

@Zapu wrote:

The cable is in the right hand socket (coloured red) and the Router is 6400 (Netgear55).

The red socket is the one you use to connect your router to the Internet via a modem..

If this is the D6400 modem/router (rather than the R6400 router), plug the PC into a yellow socket.

Read the Quick Start guide.

>>>> D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 6 of 8
Zapu
Aspirant

Oh my ignorance! Thanks for the tip; I'll try it when I get home. Meantime feeling really embarrassed. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8
Zapu
Aspirant

Reconnected and ran trouble shooter. All fixed. Thanks a lot for your help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7