× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Tivo units to Frontier 7550 router

NMystic
Aspirant

Connecting Tivo units to Frontier 7550 router

I have a Frontier issued Netgear 7550 wireless router. It has four ethernet ports, but they appear to be configured for two separate LANs (one private and one public). The technicians manual says the two LANs cannot communicate with each other. I recently bought a Tivo DVR system that has a base unit and two remote units (called minis). All three units connect to the router with ethernet cables. However, since there are only two ports that can communicate with each other in each LAN I cannot get the minis to reach the main DVR unit. Can I just install a switch and plug it into one of the ports and then run all three units ethernet cables to the switch and get them to work? Or does anyone know if there is a way to change some settings on this router to reconfigure it so the two sets of ports can start communicating with each other? I've talked to Frontier tech support and it seems to be beyond their expertise..

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
NMystic
Aspirant

Re: Connecting Tivo units to Frontier Netgear 7550 router

My Netgear switch arrived yesterday and the two new TiVo mini units arrived today. I connected the switch to one of the router ports and then connected all three TiVo ethernet cables to the switch and everything is working fine.  I have my PC plugged into the same switch and I'm a bit surprised to find that it seems to be loading webpages somewhat faster than it did going straight through the router. I don't understand much about how routers and switches work, so I don't know if a switch could speed up a PC over a straight connection to the router, so it could just be my imagination. I only have a 5MB DSL broadband service from Frontier Communications.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting Tivo units to Frontier 7550 router

Welcome to the community, @NMystic

Since this unit is provided by your ISP, it's best to verify with them if you can just simply purchase a switch in order to have multiple LAN ports. 

Message 2 of 4
NMystic
Aspirant

My Netgear switch arrived yesterday and the two new TiVo mini units arrived today. I connected the switch to one of the router ports and then connected all three TiVo ethernet cables to the switch and everything is working fine.  I have my PC plugged into the same switch and I'm a bit surprised to find that it seems to be loading webpages somewhat faster than it did going straight through the router. I don't understand much about how routers and switches work, so I don't know if a switch could speed up a PC over a straight connection to the router, so it could just be my imagination. I only have a 5MB DSL broadband service from Frontier Communications.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NMystic Thank you for the update. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements