× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cordless phone interference with D6300 Netgear Modem Router

AntMan1007
Tutor

Cordless phone interference with D6300 Netgear Modem Router

I have a vtech 17550 cordless phone that operates at 1.88-1.9GHz. This phone actually claims to be WI-FI friendly as it states on the box. I just bought this phone from Harvey Norman so it's a fairly newish model.

I also have a Netgear D6300 modem router which is a dual band modem that operates at 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz. I must operate at these two frequencies as my laptop can't detect the 5GHz WI-FI connection.

My problem is that I am getting really bad inteference on my cordless phone in the form of constant static noise.

What I have tried:
- Moving the cordless phone base to another room (about 8 metres away from the modem separated by 2 walls) – didn't help.
- Plugging in our corded phone in the phone socket used by my cordless phone to eliminate potential issues with the phone line or phone itself – no issues here.
- Disabling the 2.4GHz signal on my modem router so only the 5GHz was accessable – didn't help.
- Tried using a different ADSL filter to eliminate problems with the filter – didn't help.
- Tried using a new phone line cable to eliminate problems with the cable – didn't help.
- Tried switching channels on my modem router to reduce interference – didn't help.

I don't know what else to do. If I switch off my modem, there is no interference but I need my modem.

I suspect that my issue lies with either the filter/splitter or the D6300 modem/router.

Can anyone help solve this annoying problem once and for all?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
AntMan1007
Tutor

Hi. I have resolved this query. The culprit responsible for causing interference with my cordless phone was actually a filter that my CORDED phone was plugged into. It was an old ADSL wall mounted filter so I switched it over for a wall mounted ADSL2 filter. I no longer receive any interference. There is nothing wrong with my Netgear modem/router or the cordless phone.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
AntMan1007
Tutor

I don't think I will be buying another phone until I have isolated the issue to the phone being faulty. The cordless phone I am using I only just bought recently and doesn't result in interference when the WI-FI is turned and/or ADSL phone lead unplugged from the filter.

Message 2 of 7
AntMan1007
Tutor

The test here was to see if the fault lied in the phone line by:

1. unplugging the cordless phone

2. plugging in the corded phone instead

Result = the corded phone didn't have any interference so the phone line is fine.

Can you tell me the wireless channels suitable for Australia? My modem is dual band so one is running at 2.4GHz and the other at 5GHz.

Thank you

Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> - Tried using a different ADSL filter to eliminate problems with the
> filter - didn't help.

It might be nice to know exactly how the DSL filters are connected.

> I don't know what else to do. If I switch off my modem, there is no
> interference but I need my modem.

That suggests that the D6300 is source of the noise.  The next
question would be how the noise is traveling from the router to the
phone.  Unplug the (DSL) phone line from the D6300.  If the noise
persists, then that would point to a wireless-network radio as the
source.

If, on the other hand, the (DSL) phone line is carrying the noise,
then I'd suspect that the filters are bad or connected incorrectly (and
a bad filter is very rare).

The D6300 DSL port is the only thing which should go directly to the
real phone line.  You should have a DSL filter between every other
device and the real phone line.  Omitting a filter, especially with a
modern phone, will let the high-frequency DSL signal reach the phone,
which may cause audible noise there.  It may also degrade the DSL
signal for the modem(+router).

Message 4 of 7
AntMan1007
Tutor

Thank you for your response!

This is the kind of filter I am using:

https://www.iprimus.com.au/media/2619/148730631750223.png?width=400&height=320

My ADSL phone line runs from my modem --> to the ADSL port in the filter/splitter --> Filter plugs into phone socket in wall

My cordless phone line runs from the phone base --> to Phone port in filter/splitter

The interference will stop if I unplug the ADSL phone line from either the modem or the other end (the filter). Likewise, if I cut off the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless signals the interference will also stop as it's stopping the modem from connecting to the internet (i.e. ceasing the signal from traveling through the phone line.

Message 5 of 7
AntMan1007
Tutor

The region is set to Australia and also set the channels to Auto but it did not resolve the interference.

I'm going to try unplug each ethernet cable from the modem to see if any of my devices are causing interference.

All signs so far point to either internal wiring, the Netgear modem router or one of its devices connected to it. After trying many difference types of filters, I no longer believe that it is a filter problem.

Message 6 of 7
AntMan1007
Tutor

Hi. I have resolved this query. The culprit responsible for causing interference with my cordless phone was actually a filter that my CORDED phone was plugged into. It was an old ADSL wall mounted filter so I switched it over for a wall mounted ADSL2 filter. I no longer receive any interference. There is nothing wrong with my Netgear modem/router or the cordless phone.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7