Occasional Contributor

DG834Gv4 Can't schedule Internet block access times

Hi there,
I must be a block-head, Smiley Wink as I can't figure out how to schedule my DG834Gv4 router to block ALL internet traffic thru the night. Have searched the forums, I understand about checking the correct time. Also that my router might not like going over midnight (DGN1000 wi-fi schedule-http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=76264&highlight=schedule+internet+block+times).
I'm running W7. I'm a single home user, and I just wanna shut the thing down from say, 0:05, to 6:00 each night
I believe I need to do something in Content filtering > Block Sites > Per Schedule, click Apply, then Content Filtering > Schedule, and put in the times, click apply.
I've search here and Google for answers and can't find a solution, or work out what I'm doing wrong.

Please don't no-one suggest I pull the plug out, I already figured out how to do that myself, duh! :mad:

Many thanks in advance, Chig :confused: :rolleyes:
Regular Contributor

Re: DG834Gv4 Can't schedule Internet block access times

Time can not go over military 24hrs so on standard time zone you are in , it will not work

Back off the time zone to trick the router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

I did actually attempt to make clear that I understand about the time limitations. I quoted another thread where you already make this clear.

Also, I indicate that I want Internet access blocked from after midnight until early morn, so the router blocking will only occur in any given day. I decided this specifically to by-pass that technical issue, or did I miss something?

Okay, so let's say I want Internet access blocked from 0:30 until 6:30, that surely fall's within the abilities of the router.

I've double checked that my time settings are correct.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that shows me how its done. I just can't figure it out (I told you, I'm a block-head) Smiley Very Happy
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, just remembered to mention:

On the Content Filtering > Block Sites page, there is the entry to Block Sites Containing these Keywords or Domain Names, it also offers Keyword Blocking

But I don't see a radio button or similar just to simply block all access. Am I looking in the wrong place? Can I only block keywords or domains, rather than some other way?

Many thanks in advance, Chig.
Regular Contributor

Okay, so let's say I want Internet access blocked from 0:30 until 6:30, that surely fall's within the abilities of the router.

That should work ....

You will better to use openDNS on blocking domains
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Occasional Contributor

jmizoguchi wrote:
That should work ....

Thanks, but it doesn't work, that's why I'm here! Smiley Sad

jmizoguchi wrote:
You will better to use openDNS on blocking domains

Thanks, I already use openDNS, that's not what I asked about.

I'm trying to find out HOW to set up the scheduler. As I asked before...

"Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that shows me how its done"

Don't want to sound rude Mr Jmizoguchi, but your replies are totally missing my points, plus you're offering me answers where I've already made clear I'm aware of. I'm on the Netgear forum for guidance on how to set up the schedule, is there anyone out there who can explain the steps to me, I've tried to be as clear as I can on what my problem is:

"I want to schedule my Netgear DG834Gv4 to block all internet traffic at certain times, can someone explain how to do this?"

Many many thanks in advance, Chig. Smiley Tongue
Regular Contributor

I don't work for Netgear so I can comment more what setting that looks good and should work

Contact support to complain thing that do not work

Use portal at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Esteemed Contributor

Chigwells wrote:
Hi there,
I must be a block-head, Smiley Wink as I can't figure out how to schedule my DG834Gv4 router to block ALL internet traffic thru the night.

I believe what you want to do is block Block Keywords and Sites as set out on pages 3.3 to 3.4 of the manual.

To block all Internet traffic use a . (i.e. a period or dot) as the keyword.

Use the Per schedule radio button and set the time (which you already know about) during which the blocking take effect.
Occasional Contributor

Joe_ wrote:
I believe what you want to do is block Block Keywords and Sites as set out on pages 3.3 to 3.4 of the manual.

To block all Internet traffic use a . (i.e. a period or dot) as the keyword.

Use the Per schedule radio button and set the time (which you already know about) during which the blocking take effect.

Unbelieveable! Such a simple thing, can't believe it. After all the forum and Internet searches, it turns out to be the humble 'dot'

I had looked through the manual but didn't see that. Thanks a lot, tested and works as required.

A dialogue window popped up warning me 'Most web sites use this character and will be blocked'

Many thanks guys for your support! Chig
Discussion Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Top Contributors