× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable Access Point Mode

bob_m10
Aspirant

Enable Access Point Mode

Hi All, 

I have the R6050 and confused as to the purpose of the Enable Access point mode?  In my case I beleive I am already using the R6050 as an AP but not using this option.  I  connect one of LAN ports on the R6050 back to my ISP Gateway's LAN  port. DHCP comes from the ISP's Gateway, I have disabled DHCP on the R6050. All wired and wireless devices on the LAN share the same IP space,  192.168.1.x.  So what is the purpose of Access point mode and why would you want to use it?  Thanks  

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Enable Access Point Mode

The Access Point mode would be a quick cut to reconfigure everything, sometimes even the WAN/Internet port (some newer routers allow using all Ethernet ports in AP mode - but not sure about yours), disabling the DHCP server, disabling the routing/Internet, ... and get a DHCP client active so the device does get an IP address assigned by your other DHCP server.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The Access Point mode would be a quick cut to reconfigure everything, sometimes even the WAN/Internet port (some newer routers allow using all Ethernet ports in AP mode - but not sure about yours), disabling the DHCP server, disabling the routing/Internet, ... and get a DHCP client active so the device does get an IP address assigned by your other DHCP server.

Message 2 of 6
bob_m10
Aspirant

So basically the same thing I did manually it would do automatically?  thanks

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@bob_m10 wrote:

Don't know how you reconfigure the router on the LAN to be a DHCP client, but yes.

Message 4 of 6
bob_m10
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@bob_m10 wrote:

Don't know how you reconfigure the router on the LAN to be a DHCP client, but yes.

In my case I assigned a static IP address to the AP (R6050), but all wired and wireless devices connecting through the AP recieve DHCP from  the ISP's gateway.  Thanks 

Message 5 of 6

There is support for the R6050 at the end of this link:

>>>R6050 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support<<<

See the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point

Probably easier than home-rolled settings.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7