× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update email

fourdoor2041
Aspirant

Firmware update email

I received an email to update my firmware.  When I went into the Admin section of my Netgear Genie to check for new firmware there was no firmware available.  I would suggest to anyone who use the Netgear WNR2000 (and most likely other routers) to check manually for an update within your genie.  That's the safest and most reliable method in my opinion (novice user).  Bob

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware update email

All firmware updates can also be seen and downloaded from our support site

Once you have selected your exact model number then click on "Downloads", scroll a little bit to look at the "Firmware and Software Downloads list".

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All firmware updates can also be seen and downloaded from our support site

Once you have selected your exact model number then click on "Downloads", scroll a little bit to look at the "Firmware and Software Downloads list".

Message 2 of 16
StanLenci
Aspirant

ElaineM.

Just curious. Same situation for my R6700 AC1750 Nighthawk, received email notification of new firmware but when I login to my router and click Advanced/Admin/Update to have my router check for the update, it says no update exists. Can download and update but not update via the router update feature. Why?

Message 3 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the firmware version installed on your router?

In some cases this happens, because engineers needed to update the linked firmware from the download page and sometimes linking the new firmware may take some time to get updated. 

In other words, you may also want to verify the firmware from the support site. 

Message 4 of 16
StanLenci
Aspirant

Hi Elaine

My current firmware is V1.0.1.20_10.0.32.  The new update is V1.0.1.22.

I would think a better protocol would be to have updates immediately available for the firmware to auto recognize that an update exists rather than email notification. But then, that's something for Netgear to decide.

Message 5 of 16
StanLenci
Aspirant

As an FYI update to my concern, my router's internal auto update feature did "sense" the availability of an updated firmware yesterday.  I didn't have to download the firmware myself.  Now all is well in the world of Netgear!

Message 6 of 16
William10a
Master

I can understand the importance of  keeping the routers firmware up to date but the community seems to come alive with questions about the e-mails some of which if I received them with their links I would not even try to use or download.

I trust the Netgear support web site but others from what I have seen posted about changes and wanting to sale services I just not sure it is working the way Netgear may have wanted.

Message 7 of 16
TheEther
Guru

It's probably scammers using the opportunity to phish.  It's best to avoid clicking on links in emails.

Message 8 of 16
William10a
Master

That's why I like to use a virtual box to limit any damage to the main os of the computer that the virtual box is running in and you can redo it on a usb flash drive.

Message 9 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Sure, that may limit damage to your computer but it won't help if you are tricked into installing hacked firmware onto your router.

Message 10 of 16
fourdoor2041
Aspirant

Thanks everyone.  I do still have this firmware: V1.0.0.66.  I will wait and continue to utilize the update within the Genie and wait on the download option that the Netgear community moderator recommended.  I will need to study the exact steps in using the download approach through the Netgear download option.

Message 11 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@fourdoor2041 Feel free to let us know if you need further help. 

Have a great day!

Message 12 of 16
tlto
Aspirant

I tried to follow the directions for this firmware upgrade but ran into an issue when asked "the server....is asking for your user name and password".  I don't know what password they are referring to and there is no "forgot password" option.  Can't move forward with the upgrade.  Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Message 13 of 16
William10a
Master

You are not doing anything wrong it is Netgear issue they were having try now it should be fixed by now.

Message 14 of 16
tlto
Aspirant

Thanks for your response William10A.  Unfortunately, the issue is still there.  Will try again tomorrow,

Message 15 of 16
William10a
Master

If you have firefox internet explore it may work I get on to netgear's with firefox when microsoft internet explore fail to work.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7