× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frontier Netgear B90-755044-15 Should the firmware be updated?

gregorylock
Aspirant

Frontier Netgear B90-755044-15 Should the firmware be updated?

Frontier Netgear B90-755044-15

My current firmware version is:  VER:06.05.12

Back when I first got Frontier DSL Internet they only gave me a quick set up guide.  The Frontier Netgear B90-755044-15 BIOS is kinda confusing.  It would of been helpful if they would have provided a full manual on it.  Years ago I did some searches and couldn't find any manual.  I even asked for help online and other people couldn't find a manual. 

I heard that it is wise to update your modem/router for security reasons. 

I don't know much about these modems/routers that ISPs provide.  I have looked for firmware updates before, and came up empty handed.  Today I found this thread:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/firmware-issues-7550/td-p/434336

There has been sometimes where my internet light would turn red.  I just always figured it was because frontier service was down and I just patiently waited until things came back online.  They always do, but sometimes it can take upto an entire day.

On that thread, that I posted a link too, I also found this link:

http://myplace.frontier.com/~firmware/

It's confusing because there is 4 files. 

I was wondering if you guys think I should upgrade my firmware?

* I did download all 4 files and I tried to upload bhr4_stepstone_release_1.2.0.36.98.0_firmwareupgrade.bin.signed.  I thought it looked the most current.  The modem rebooted but the BIOS still reports the same firmware version VER:06.05.12

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
gregorylock
Aspirant

Re: Frontier Netgear B90-755044-15 Should the firmware be updated?

If they did wouldn't they have the files for download on the frontier website somewhere?

Update:  11/24/16 at 5:08PM

I contacted frontier via support chat.  He said that the modem is updated automatically by frontier.  I checked the firmware version I currently have and said that it is correct.  Anyways that is how frontier handles it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @gregorylock

Welcome to the community!

It's always best to update the firmware of the router/modem.

In terms of support, this model number should be supported by your ISP who provided the unit. 

Message 2 of 4
gregorylock
Aspirant

If they did wouldn't they have the files for download on the frontier website somewhere?

Update:  11/24/16 at 5:08PM

I contacted frontier via support chat.  He said that the modem is updated automatically by frontier.  I checked the firmware version I currently have and said that it is correct.  Anyways that is how frontier handles it.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In your case, Frontier has control over your device and as they mentioned it will be provided automatically. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7