Aspirant

[HELP] Can't connect to routerlogin.net

Hello,

I'm unable to connect to routerlogin.net.

Yesterday I wanted to change my setup to make my WNDR3700 a repeater.

The setup before was: Wireless Modem (Thomson TWG870u) ===> Homeplug ===> WNDR3700 ===> PC

That worked, but I didn't think it was very efficient.

So yesterday I resetted my WNDR3700 to default factory settings (don't know why I did that). And ever since I haven't been able to go to routerlogin.net.

So afterwards I figured, maybe I need to reinstall my WNDR3700 with the disc. But that didn't work either, because during the setup it couldn't detect a router.

Can someone please help me out? I thought you didn't even need an internet connection to enter your router's configuration page.

Yours,

liQuorice
Tutor

Re: [HELP] Can't connect to routerlogin.net

Try logging into the routers LAN IP as it works better in most cases.

http://192.168.1.1/index.htm
Aspirant

Hi KevTech,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately that didn't work.

I'm still confused. Does it have something to with that I resetted it to default factory settings?

If so, I already tried to reinstall the router. I tried it with the disc, but then it won't find a router. And I can't do the no-disc installation because I can't enter the router configuration page.

Please help me!

Yours,

liQuorice
Tutor

is the homeplug connected via the WAN port?
Aspirant

Hi jlewter, The router WAS indeed connected to the router via the WAN port.
Tutor

How is it connected now?...

When you use it as an AP (nothing wrong with doing that) then you need to disable DHCP, since DHCP is disabled then the 3700 will no longer act as a gateway, and all traffic (flowing across it's lan, or wifi) will not be intercepted at all. DNS traffic passing over the LAN()WAN link will have specific stuff intercepted. That's why routerlogin.net (a valid web address) works for going to your router.
Aspirant

So what I need to do now, is disable the DHCP of the 3700? How do I do that? I'm a bit of a newbie. Thank you.
Tutor

You only need to disable DHCP if you are indeed using it as an AP. If your using it as a router then you dont want to disable DHCP.

You need to know the IP of the router, as both of your routers are connected lan to lan, and the TWG870 is providing DHCP, you should log into it and look for a list of attached devices, it should (hopefully) list the 3700 as a connected device. If it doesnt then it may mean that the 3700 is in a different ip range, or that it's broadcast are just not seen.

To set up the 3700 you could also disconnect it from the TWG870 and hook something up directly to the 3700, if DHCP is still on then the device would get a IP from it and that would allow you to configure the router before reconnecting it to your existing network.

You want to make sure the LAN ip is in the same ip range/subnet, else it will be difficult to manage the router after it's reconnected.
Luminary

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/how_to_access_point.pdf

this wil help you setup 3700 as an access point
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Hi jlewter,

To set up the 3700 you could also disconnect it from the TWG870 and hook something up directly to the 3700, if DHCP is still on then the device would get a IP from it and that would allow you to configure the router before reconnecting it to your existing network.

I already tried this. I directly connected my computer and laptop to the 3700, but I just cannot connect to routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com or the other one you had suggested a few posts earlier.

Before I try anything with the DHCP, isn't it weird that I can't connect to routerlogin.net whilst directly connected to the 3700?
Luminary

Makes sure pc is properly getting the IP with correct LAN subnet
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Hi jmizoguchi,

I don't know what you mean. Could you please explain to me what I should do?

Thank you.
Luminary

Check with ipconfig from the command line and proper IP is getting and you can ping the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Tutor

If the computers are not set to get an IP via DHCP you will experience this.
If the router has DHCP disabled you too will experience this.

He just means that you must match your IP range for the router and pc, but that's hard for a novice to understand sometimes. If your computer cant get an IP from the router then it really only boils down to the above two problems.
Aspirant

I am having this same problem currently and have been going back and forth with netgear all day about this and have no resolution yet. I understand all of what you all said. How do I match the ip range thing that you were talking about? I did the ipconfig with netgear and stuff but don't know technically what those numbers mean because they didn't explain it to me. I'm pretty smart and can pick up things quickly and was wondering if you all could help me with this as well.

:confused:
Tutor

Please do your setup diagram again.

Include (for the 3700) what port is connected to the TWG870u.

If your using the 3700 as an AP (that is, NOT USING WAN PORT) then routerlogin.net will NOT WORK. This isnt a fault, It's just how it is.
Novice

I hope it's OK to bump this thread, but I'm a new Netgear customer having exactly the same problem as the original poster. I cannot, whatever I try, access the router's setup page. I also can't determine what IP is assigned to the router, despite having scanned a large range of 10.0.*.* and 192.168.*.* IPs and finding nothing there. So as things stand the new router I took out of it's box just 3 days ago is effectively dead as a dodo. I have obviously performed a hard reset among many other measures to correct the problem, having searched extensively for an answer.

Did the OP ever find a resolution to this problem? If so, what what it please?
And why does a reset not appear to really go back to factory settings? If it did, then surely the problem would go away, because on first usage it worked fine.

Thanks.
Luminary

_SteveB_ wrote:
I hope it's OK to bump this thread, but I'm a new Netgear customer having exactly the same problem as the original poster. I cannot, whatever I try, access the router's setup page. I also can't determine what IP is assigned to the router, despite having scanned a large range of 10.0.*.* and 192.168.*.* IPs and finding nothing there. So as things stand the new router I took out of it's box just 3 days ago is effectively dead as a dodo. I have obviously performed a hard reset among many other measures to correct the problem, having searched extensively for an answer.

Did the OP ever find a resolution to this problem? If so, what what it please?
And why does a reset not appear to really go back to factory settings? If it did, then surely the problem would go away, because on first usage it worked fine.

Thanks.

regardless of 10. or 192 IP, router still should have basic function as to access to setup the router.

you may have defective unit
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Tutor

The factory default is 192.168.1.1. Do you perhaps have another computer on your LAN which is using that address? Is the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0 on your LAN?
Tutor

After doing a reset, the DHCP server will turn back on..

If you have an IP conflict (dual nat where the first nat layer is also on 192.168.1.x) then the unit will reset to 10.x.x.x

Disconnect WAN, hold down reset button on unit until it restarts, give it a few mins to restart and then turn on the pc connected to it.
If the pc is set to get an IP via DHCP then it should get an IP. If you have given the computer a fixed IP then of course this isnt going to work at all.
Discussion Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Top Contributors