Follower

How to configure a WNDR3700 (N600) router on a 2Wire 3600HGV modem

I just posted this over at AT&T and thought it might help someone.

How to use a Netgear WNDR3700 with an AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV VDSL modem
    er to fetch a dynamic IP and DSN.

Now you have the option of plugging into either device. I haven't tried it, but I assume that if you connect a PC to the modem (either ethernet or wireless) it won't be able to "see" any PCs connected to the router, and vice versa.
Tutor

Re: How to configure a WNDR3700 (N600) router on a 2Wire 3600HGV modem

Your post is well laid out and has detailed information.
I applaud you for that.

It doesnt offer the best advice however.

Your best two options are ...
1) Access Point.
That would involve disabiling the DHCP server on the WNDR3700 and letting the 2wire deal with that. You would connect one of the LAN ports on the 3700 to any of the ports on the 2wire. The "LAN" settings on the 3700 would need a IP in the range of what the 2wire announces otherwise you wouldnt be able to log into the 3700 admin page. As the 2wire serves 192.168.1.x (and likely has an IP of 192.168.1.1 but I could be wrong) then you could use an IP of 192.168.1.254 for the 3700. This will prevent the problem you mention in your last statement (No lan connectivity between things connected to the 3700 and the 2wire.)

2) Bridge mode (on the 2wire)
The big problem with this is that (if your unit supports it) it essentially disables the WiFi and all but one lan port. The upshot with this is that it allows the 3700 to be the management device.

Personally, I think option 1 is best.

Your solution also has another problem that is not mentioned. Double NAT..

Double NAT doesn't allow UPnP request to pass from the first nat layer (3700) to the second nat layer (2wire). Because of this things like gaming consoles (xbox, ps3) and pc's using UPnP (required by various games, some p2p, some voip) will not work UNLESS you have the 3700 set up as the DMZ device. Even if the 3700 is set up as the DMZ device there may still be issues.
SIP Packet Data may also suffer because of SIP ALG. Sip ALG, to put it simply, is where packet data is re-written before it gets to your SIP device (SIP based Ip-Phone). This shouldnt be a problem in multi-layer NAT HOWEVER there are usually problems when one SIP ALG is involved, if you started adding in multiple ALG's then I have no doubt a lot of people would suffer.
Aspirant

Hi jlewter,

Sorry to jump on here. Just wanted to check something with you. I have a similar-ish setup in that I have a Draytek router hard wired to the WNDR 3700 acting as an access point so I can get wireless into our back bedroom. I actually have it on the same 2.4 ghz SSID name (different channels) so our mobile devices seamlessly switch to the stronger signal as we roam around.

Anyway, it works great. However, when I set it all up based on reading some website over a year ago I changed the DHCP range on the WNDR 3700 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 instead to 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254. I then disabled the DHCP server on the draytek and gave it an IP of 192.168.1.2. It seems to work absolutely fine. However would you say that is wrong then? The Draytek acting as access point should have an IP between the range of 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254?

Many thanks,
Wayne
Luminary

Operating with the router as an access point is much simpler than the method described in post 1. The problem with the post #1 method is that devices (PCs0 on the different IP segments may not be able to communicate with each other, whereas the access point method will typically run with a single DHCP server.

It should not matter if either the router or access point acts as the DHCP server, it’s also possible to have some other device on the LAN (e.g. a PC Server) operate as the DHCP server, but commonly only one DHCP server should exist on a LAN unless it is carefully planned to have two or more. In fact a LAN can happily operate with no DHCP server at all if static addressing is used throughout. The DHCP server function does not have to be tied to the router / gateway.
Apprentice

Scottyboy99 wrote:
...Anyway, it works great...

Here we go again... Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Nevertheless, according to this article the IP address you assign to the Draytek is suppose to be outside of the range of addresses controlled by the DHCP server. So you do have it correct.
Aspirant

"Here we go again"

I am sorry but I just asked a question. It was only prompted by the first post ...

"The "LAN" settings on the 3700 would need a IP in the range of what the 2wire announces"

Made it sound like having the draytek's IP I had assigned was wrong and it should of been inside the IP range and not outside. But I now know that my existing setup is correct. Thanks for confirming this.

The trouble is many of us pay for the good hardware but are not super experts and do not know all this by second nature. Some of us did have criticism for updating firmware - And yes, I agree if things ain't broke don't fix. It's a lesson learned but I do feel we are within our rights to berate Netgear for that debacle. At the end of the day we are all trying to find solutions and help eachother.

Thanks
Wayne
Luminary

Put 2wire on bridge mode

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Tutor

Scottyboy99 wrote:
Hi jlewter,

DHCP range on the WNDR 3700
to 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254
disabled .. DHCP ...on the draytek and gave it an IP of 192.168.1.2.

It seems to work absolutely fine. However would you say that is wrong then? The Draytek acting as access point should have an IP between the range of 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254?

Deffo not wrong Smiley Wink..
You should assign an IP outside of the DHCP scope, but within the same IP mask.
192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 = 192.168.1.1 <-> 192.168.1.254
so any IP in that set (with that netmask) can talk to any IP in that set with that netmask. But my suggestion of putting it at .254 was just to avoid a conflict with the DHCP server while setting it up.
My network starts at .100, fixed Items go below that (and I dont have 99 items Smiley Tongue)...

As long as you stick to the netmask then it should work, even having a device with a fixed IP on a dhcp network may not matter because when the broadcast goes out "who has this IP" then the fixed unit should reply "It's mine, It's mine"... If your DHCP server ever gets to the end of its scope then there are more issues to worry about than an IP reservation.
Apprentice

Scottyboy99 wrote:
The trouble is many of us pay for the good hardware but are not super experts and do not know all this by second nature. Some of us did have criticism for updating firmware - And yes, I agree if things ain't broke don't fix. It's a lesson learned but I do feel we are within our rights to berate Netgear for that debacle. At the end of the day we are all trying to find solutions and help eachother.

No, none of us were born knowing how routers work just like we weren't born knowing how computers worked. We learn these things in different ways, just like you learned a hard lesson about updating firmware. We may also learn by diligent research and lots of reading, but many people shy away from that because it's too much work. Yes, we would like everything to be "plug-and-play" and intuitive but the reality is it just isn't, or we haven't evolve to that as yet.

That said, I do agree that Netgear needs to be berated for presenting a firmware that causes so much headache.

And yes, that's the beauty of the internet and forums - we can help each other and try to find solutions together. Let's hope that continues to grow in more ways than one. Smiley Happy
Aspirant

I'm posting my details on when I had a 2wire DSL unit. My ISP had a firmware to when the 2Wire detects a PPPoE request on the LAN part, the 2Wire is placed into the "bridge" mode.
Discussion Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Top Contributors