Issues with Netgear WNDR4500 Router

I am having issues with my wireless home network.

I have the Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router and a dual band 450Mbps wireless adapter connected to a PC on the other side of my house. The signal strength is pretty average between them (about 3 to 4 bars usually). The problem is that whenever I am trying to transfer large files to this computer, my connection speed drops. I go from 450Mbps to about 81Mbps a few seconds in when I start to transfer files over LAN. The PC I am transferring the files from is connected directly to an ethernet port with gigabit connection speeds.

I have updated the router firmware and have tried turning off my firewalls and any other security. The problem exists both over the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. I have also tried to change channels.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how I could go about solving it?

Re: Issues with Netgear WNDR4500 Router

I would suggest to test by placing closer to the router
VPN Case Study

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-

I have the same issue with this router - PC and router is 5 meters apart with direct line of sight - connecting at 450mbps, but it drops to 164mbps when downloading - I have logged a support ticket but the issue could not be resolved.

Do you have the same problem if both PCs are connected via the router using wired connections? (Appreciate this may be a pain to test!)

When copying files there are a number of points where the bottleneck could occur (e.g. hard drive read/write speed) - need to check that the wireless signal is indeed the 'rate determining step'.

Netperf would come in handy for testing this as it would mostly eliminate any disk bottlenecks.
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors