Occasional Contributor

My laptop causes internet connection loss

Hello,

I think I've narrowed this down a bit now.

Whenever I turn on my laptop our router disconnects from the internet (I think) shortly after. Sometimes I can access the internet for about a minute then nothing.

All the other wired/wireless devices can turn off and on, go to sleep, access the net all day and no problems. Sooo....here's a bit of the router log I think might help.

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, November 10,2011 23:06:51
[Internet connected] IP address: 68.4.171.119, Thursday, November 10,2011 23:06:45
[Internet disconnected] Thursday, November 10,2011 23:06:34
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.3 Thursday, November 10,2011 23:02:14
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.3 Thursday, November 10,2011 22:59:28

And yes I found out where that IP address goes.:eek: I'm guessing my laptop has a virus/trojan. AVG antivirus has found nothing wrong so far.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks,
Tony
Regular Contributor

Re: My laptop causes internet connection loss

uPnP works when computer request for need of ports. Some thing with computer ends with Ip .3 has requested to router to open it

Nor sure disconnection directly connected to its computer but very possible this computer with still malware etc
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Esteemed Contributor

MtnBikeGeek wrote:
[Internet disconnected] Thursday, November 10,2011 23:06:34
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.3 Thursday, November 10,2011 23:02:14
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.3 Thursday, November 10,2011 22:59:28

Those log entries are indeed suspicious. UPnP is required by some software (e.g. games) but it can also be used by malware that has gotten installed on your laptop to wreck havoc.
I'm guessing my laptop has a virus/trojan.

That's very possible. At the same time it is somewhat contrary as most malware would prefer to open an internet connection.
AVG antivirus has found nothing wrong so far.

The immediate and more pressing concern is to seek help for a possible infection. There are many sites on the web that offer help, but 2 of the more prominant and reputable ones are:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php

Ensure you read and follow the respective forum rules and guidelines when you join the forums to seek help.

Once you have cleaned your PC, here is some other food for thought:

Do you ensure you update AVG's malware definitions database everyday, or is it set to do so automatically? Even so, it is still possible to get infected because no single program detects everything. This is the reason why some people have a real-time anti-malware but still run regular scans with other anti-malware programs.

Having more than one anti-malware program installed on your PC can be problematic if they are incompatible. I personally have 3 but they don't conflict.

Another approach is to to use "cloud-based" scanners, but you must be connected to the internet when using them. A notable tool is David Lipman’s Multi-Scanning Tool. This CLS is an interface that combines what looks like internet shortcuts to 4 or 5 scanners of repute. I've been meaning to try it but never got around to it, so can't say how effective it is. Users have praised it highly though.

A third option is to use an anti-malware program that incorporates HIPS. What this does is detect malware behaviour rather than rely on a database. This is the more effective way to deal with "zero-day" exploits. However it requires the input of a more knowledgeable user to "train" the program and to identify threats. One school of thought is that behaviour-monitoring will eventually replace database-dependent anti-malware programs.

Whichever of these methods you choose as appropriate for you, may not suit another. Also, the type of internet activity (mainly) that you engage in has a lot to do with how much risks you take. The more risky the sites you visit, the greater the measures that must be taken for protection. IMHO, P2P activity, torrent downloads and online gaming are quite risky.

Hopefully, you would have found my input useful, and good luck! Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

The log does deffo look odd...Course, the upnp rule doesnt seem to be followed by a report of remote access. So it's opening something, and it's not getting used. I dont think the upnp used in this router allows modification of the routing tables in a way that this should happen.

If you run a scan of trend micro's hijackthis and send me the logs I can gleam over it (Send logs via private msg, wrap them in the #code# tag.

A 4 min delay is a long one too. Perhaps it's not spyware/malware, perhaps the modem is just falling over for some reason. Log into the modem if you can and view it's logs to see what it says.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I'll do that. Not sure how to log into cable modem but I'll look into it.

Tony
Occasional Contributor

Used windows network trouble shooter tonight and got a DNS server not responding message...??!!

None of our other computers get this.

Do ya think reloading windows would help?

Tony
Regular Contributor

Is this the device end with .3 ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Esteemed Contributor

@MtnBikeGeek,

As per jmizoguchi, you need to locate which of your computers or devices has been assigned the IP address of 192.168.1.3. That is the machine shown on the log entries.

Have you sent a HijackThis log to jlewter from that machine as requested?

Used windows network trouble shooter tonight and got a DNS server not responding message...??!!

That may or may not be related. Instead of jumping all over the place, why don't you take up jlewter's offer...??!!
Esteemed Contributor

He did..

There's a lot of common "Junk" running on the system, but nothing sticks out to me at all in terms of causing issues...

The only thing I dont have experience with is the icloud services, I don't see how that could make the router connection get bumped, but between that and bonjour running I dont find the dns error odd.

I suggested disabling the icloud bit to see if the problem goes away, if it does then its up to netgear to fix the fault. I also suggested he change his routers login password, on the off chance that something scripted is telling the router to renew ip. Course, his log didnt show a remote connection so I doubt it's that.

To me, it looks like his modem or isp is resetting the connection, but I am basing that on the few lines in the log file ;P.
Regular Contributor

Should run wireshark and capture some log.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Discussion Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Top Contributors