× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 WNR3500Lv2 Fast LAN, Slow WiFi - with a twist

Needleroozer
Aspirant

N300 WNR3500Lv2 Fast LAN, Slow WiFi - with a twist

N300 router with latest firmware, Arris SB6141 cable modem. Modem dies, replaced with an SB6183. But the N300 couldn't talk to the SB6183, couldn't get an IP address. So at the suggestion of the Comcast tech I reset the router. And that worked! Sort of. I mention this becase the router has already been reset (a common suggestion in "fast/slow" threads). Everything WiFi is now dead slow.

Here's a WiFi speed test from speedtest.net. Yes, that's 0.61 Mbps. Dead crawl!

1.jpg

And here's another WiFi test, from Comcast. Yes, that's 100 times faster.

C1.jpg

And here's a real world example, trying to download a Steam game. 259.4 Kilo bytes per second peak! Peak! I'm paying for 100 Mbps!

steam.jpg

And finally, the firehose I get when I plug directly into the N300:

4.jpg

What's going on here? I understand why WiFi isn't as fast as wired, but less than 1 Mbps is rediculous. Why is WiFi so slow for everything except a Comcast speed test? The Comcast test proves the N300 can do reasonable WiFi speeds, so what's going wrong the rest of the time? Or right for the Comcast tests? Help!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Needleroozer
Aspirant

Re: N300 WNR3500Lv2 Fast LAN, Slow WiFi - with a twist

Well, I solved my problem. I switched to a D-Link router and now everything's fine.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Needleroozer
Aspirant

Ah ha! A clue! Comcast speed test lets you choose IPv4 or IPv6. IPv4 is fast, IPv6 is as slow as the speedtest.net tests. So, how am I _supposed_ to configure IPv6, because clearly the router reset defaults aren't working.
Message 2 of 5

Find out which type of IPv6 Comcast uses and see if you can set your WNR3500Lv2 to that.

There is a manual for the WNR3500Lv2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> WNR3500Lv2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 91.

Message 3 of 5
Needleroozer
Aspirant

After trying the entire list, the last setting - "Auto Config" - worked for Comcast's speed test. It's now 50-60 Mbps for either IPv4 or IPv6.

speedtest.net is still below 1 Mbps, and the internet in general feels slow, so it's more than just speedtest.net. But, again, why is some WiFi fast and other WiFi dead slow?

Message 4 of 5
Needleroozer
Aspirant

Well, I solved my problem. I switched to a D-Link router and now everything's fine.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7