Novice

NEW Firmware 1.0.1.6

New firmware version 1.0.1.6 available on NetGear WNDR4500 support website. I flashed it a bit ago and have not found anything non-functional yet. Will continue to beat it up, but so far DDNS, Port Forwarding, etc. appear well. The issues addressed in this update is available on the site.
Speeds OK so far.
Novice

Re: NEW Firmware 1.0.1.6

I think that it's more new beta version
Aspirant

That's what my router believes too since it didn't pick it up automatically. Now we'll see if my disconnects from both WAN and LAN have been cured. They were unchanged initially with the last beta but somehow on their own they became less frequent.
Novice

It has been up here with no notable problems so far. I have been seeing 65-70 meg down on my Charter 100 mb connection. This is the best I have seen since 1.0.0.70. My VPN to work stayed up for over 30 hours until I decided to disconnect. I will continue to keep track and see if this one is stable. As reported before, DDNS, Port Forwarding, WPA2 Personal /AES, and I am maintaining a 300 mbs connection, two rooms and 40 feet from the router. It also appears that the wired switch is pushing files at a faster rate across the gigabit network here. I will validate that. It is encouraging to see NetGear continuing to improve this firmware.
Aspirant

It would be great if anyone has information about the USB speed.
Novice

I can't help with USB, I have two D-Link DNS-323s on the network. They have gigabit connections with dual terabyte 7200 rpm drives and those are flying. But, I only have about a five year old Western Digital USB drive that belongs to my wife....don't even know if this router supports it. I see there is a list of supported drives on the website, I will take a look.
Tutor

As mentioned before, if the 4500 is anything like the 3700, for faster USB transfers you'll want to use FAT32 or Ext2/3 and as a last resort, NTFS.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

Thanks I am going to try it this weekend.

Is there an explenation why the speed has to be so bad (7 Megabytes/s filetransfer, 4 MB/s sabnzb)?

I was thinking about buying an NAS (synologic) but in a forum they mention that you have to pay a lot to get a good download speed (sabnzb @ 15 megabytes/s).
Tutor

The USB seems about the same as in the last beta - about 12 MB/s in my case.

This was a USB 1 TB WD drive 2.0 device.

R
Tutor

mauricetgol wrote:
Is there an explenation why the speed has to be so bad (7 Megabytes/s filetransfer, 4 MB/s sabnzb)?

If you are referring to poor NTFS speeds, it's my understanding that in order for the router to obtain faster speeds using the NTFS File System, Netgear would have to buy a license. What Netgear uses is basically the free, unoptimized, version.

mauricetgol wrote:
I was thinking about buying an NAS (synologic) but in a forum they mention that you have to pay a lot to get a good download speed (sabnzb @ 15 megabytes/s).

I'm also considering purchasing my first NAS, a Synology DS411+II or similar. Right now the project is on hold as I'm waiting for hard drive prices to return to pre-flood levels. As for speed of the NAS, there are a lot of factors involved, price is definitely one of them.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

mauricetgol wrote:
Thanks I am going to try it this weekend.

I have a Synology DS211 (2 bay) and I like it. Download speed is up to 105 mb/s and upload up to 57 mb/s on my gigabit wired network.
Router Netgear WNDR4500

Laptop Asus with Intel Ultimate-N 6300 450Mbps wireless card
Aspirant

This firmware messed up my router pretty good. After setting everything up and rebooting I cannot get into the web interface anymore. After entering the username and password it just sits there loading...forever. And eventually the browser will say it cannot even find 192.168.1.1. If I reboot the router I can at least get back to the endless loading. Yay? I installed the firmware from within the router interface. I then, using the tiny button on the back, reset to defaults and re-entered all settings. I always do it this way to avoid problems. Now I can't get into the menus. Just endless loading and eventual cannot find 192.168.1.1.

Try again Netgear.
Novice

Just making sure...
1. you're hardwired in
2. You have manually assigned the IP address on your computer in the same scheme.
3. I can't remember is default netgear IP 192.168.0.1? or ..1.1? you might try ..0.1 after changing your computer to match the scheme.
I know some of these may sound silly - but they are DOH! moments.
Wherewolf
Aspirant

Nope.

I think I narrowed it down. After messing with options and logging out and back in I believe the problem to lie in the Guest Network tab. When I first thought it was that I defaulted the router and set up just the values in the guest networking page and within a few minutes, problem was back. I then defaulted the router (the only way once the bug starts to get back into the web interface) and set up all my usual values except the Guest Networking values. Problem has yet to come back. Something it borked in the Guest Networking options.

I couldn't pin down what value or combination of values did it. I will say that I use 63 character keys of random letters and numbers. Also the behavior for the password entry box is weird in this release. If a password is entered and you click the box it vanishes rather than lets you edit it. I suspect they broke something on this page.

Granted I only use it to broadcast annoying messages at my neighbors so leaving the whole page at default isn't a problem. Just less fun. Smiley Tongue Hopefully next firmware will fix this and get back to telling my neighbors to shut their dog up or how to vote. *sigh*
Aspirant

if you connect to 4500 via guest network, it won't allow you to access router (default:192.168.1.1).
but if you access from main wifi or wire, it should be OK.
Aspirant

I know how guest networking works. This is NOT that. I am talking about accessing the router from a wired PC and having the web interface not respond and eventually become unfindable by browsers when certain values are changed within the guest networking tab. This has nothing to do with what you said. I am not accessing the routers web interface wirelessly. It does not apply.
Aspirant

Guys

I dont believe its beta any more, it was pushed out to my router automatically.

Either way here is the details of the new firmware

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20066
Guide

Zapper_Weisman wrote:
I know how guest networking works. This is NOT that. I am talking about accessing the router from a wired PC and having the web interface not respond and eventually become unfindable by browsers when certain values are changed within the guest networking tab. This has nothing to do with what you said. I am not accessing the routers web interface wirelessly. It does not apply.

I've seen the same thing happen when changing IPv6 settings in rapid succession.
It seems some setting changes cause the router to do a refresh, but without the typical "please wait" progress bar.

Next time this happens note your computers LAN icon and see if during the hiccup it gets a red X or yellow bang sign. = router needs a moment to reconnect to your network.

Might also be a good idea to try a different browser.
I have had good luck with Chrome (Beta Channel)
Aspirant

Again...this is not the problem. I can change the settings in guests, logout of the router and leave it for a few minutes, go to login (plenty of time to "refresh"), enter the password and then it shows the menus on the left and in the right portion where the actual settings would be there is just that little loading star. After about 5-10 minutes the browser can no longer find 192.168.1.1 at all until I hard reset defaults on the router. When I reset to defaults and changed just the guest tab options this occurred every time. When I changed everything else and left the guest network options completely unchanged the problem has not come back. I can reproduce this perfectly every time.

Changing the guest network settings causes the web interface to become inaccessible. Leaving them alone causes the problem not to occur in the first place. Either I am not explaining this correctly or no one is actually reading what I say.
Aspirant

Zapper_Weisman wrote:
Again...this is not the problem. I can change the settings in guests, logout of the router and leave it for a few minutes, go to login (plenty of time to "refresh"), enter the password and then it shows the menus on the left and in the right portion where the actual settings would be there is just that little loading star. After about 5-10 minutes the browser can no longer find 192.168.1.1 at all until I hard reset defaults on the router. When I reset to defaults and changed just the guest tab options this occurred every time. When I changed everything else and left the guest network options completely unchanged the problem has not come back. I can reproduce this perfectly every time.

Changing the guest network settings causes the web interface to become inaccessible. Leaving them alone causes the problem not to occur in the first place. Either I am not explaining this correctly or no one is actually reading what I say.

I can tell, not only changing the GUEST network can make my router inaccessable - I had the same effect through trying to install DynDNS - or other features... http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75162 gives a bad feeling...
Aspirant

I had a question if their is the wrong place let me know.

I updated to the new firmware and now I can no longer use the ReadySHARE printer function on my MacBook Air 10.7.3. The USB control panel is no longer working, I can see the printer and click it to connect but get the error message that the connection failed.

If any one else has a mac connected this way and it is still working please let me know so I can try to find out what I need to fix this error.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
Aspirant

not sure if this is 4500 bug or control center utility bug.
perhaps you can downgrade to the old 4500 FW and check if readyshare printe can work or not.
Aspirant

revbell wrote:
I had a question if their is the wrong place let me know.

I updated to the new firmware and now I can no longer use the ReadySHARE printer function on my MacBook Air 10.7.3. The USB control panel is no longer working, I can see the printer and click it to connect but get the error message that the connection failed.

If any one else has a mac connected this way and it is still working please let me know so I can try to find out what I need to fix this error.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi Revbell!

I discovered, that sometimes reinstalling would help - so remove the printer and discover the network for new ones. Might be that the Bonjour ID changed through update.

Hope I could help.

Greetz,
lucky_way
Aspirant

Hi all,

I updated to this firmware (1.0.1.16) when I happened to visit the admin page, the promise of faster usb readyshare speeds was primary reason ...

Unfortunately, the firmware seems to have some DNS related bug(s).
I was not having this issue earlier and has come up immediately after the firmware update.

To detail my setup, I connect the wndr4500 to a switch to which the dsl modem is connected - and all wireless devices connect via the n900.

The behavior I observe is, after "some" time of use, all DNS resolution requests fail - though internet connectivity itself does not fail since ping by ip (for example) continues to work, while nslookup/etc fail to resolve (via comp connected to wndr4500 ethernet).
Unplugging the comp's ethernet cable from wndr4500 and plugging to dsl modem/switch causes the problems to go away (re-connecting to wndr4500 causes the issue to come back - so it is not a transient issue with comp or dsl, but with wndr4500 itself).

I have tried these, but to no avail.
a) Static IP, gateway and dns on wndr4500.
Tried pointing DNS to the dsl modem (which has dhcp and dns) and to opendns - both fails.

b) Use of DHCP to obtain IP/gateway/DNS.

In desperation, I went back to the previous firmware (I think it was V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 though I am not sure anymore !) and yet it does not seem to resolve the issue anymore :-(

Any hints, suggestions, RTFM or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mridul
Aspirant

Hi all,

I updated to this firmware (1.0.1.16) when I happened to visit the admin page, the promise of faster usb readyshare speeds was primary reason ...

Unfortunately, the firmware seems to have some DNS related bug(s).
I was not having this issue earlier and has come up immediately after the firmware update.

To detail my setup, I connect the wndr4500 to a switch to which the dsl modem is connected - and all wireless devices connect via the n900.

The behavior I observe is, after "some" time of use, all DNS resolution requests fail - though internet connectivity itself does not fail since ping by ip (for example) continues to work, while nslookup/etc fail to resolve (via comp connected to wndr4500 ethernet).
Unplugging the comp's ethernet cable from wndr4500 and plugging to dsl modem/switch causes the problems to go away (re-connecting to wndr4500 causes the issue to come back - so it is not a transient issue with comp or dsl, but with wndr4500 itself).

I have tried these, but to no avail.
a) Static IP, gateway and dns on wndr4500.
Tried pointing DNS to the dsl modem (which has dhcp and dns) and to opendns - both fails.

b) Use of DHCP to obtain IP/gateway/DNS.

In desperation, I went back to the previous firmware (I think it was V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 though I am not sure anymore !) and yet it does not seem to resolve the issue anymore :-(

Any hints, suggestions, RTFM or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mridul
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors