Aspirant

Need setup help with my WNDR3700v2 N600 router

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a 2Wire 3600HGV modem/router provide by AT&T U-Verse. I have one desktop connected via LAN port and all my other devices are connected wirelessly. I just purchased a Netgear WNDR3700v2 N600 router and I'd like to make it my primary router since it's dual band with wireless N versus the 2Wire that is only wireless b/g.

Here is my current setup:
The 2Wire is upstairs. I have one desktop connected to a LAN port. I have a Tivo, Slingbox and Roku player connected with a strong wireless connection. Downstairs, I have another Tivo that averages 75-80% signal strength. My Xbox 360 is in another room and I get one out of four bars of signal strength.

My goal:
Ideally, I'd like to have the Netgear router be the primary and be connected to the 2Wire router wirelessly. This way, I can place the Netgear downstairs to get a stronger signal for my Tivo and Xbox. I saw in the web interface that you can enable the wireless repeater function. Would this accomplish my goal? If yes, how would I configure it?

I've read so many setup options that it's hard to tell which one is right for me. Some say you need to connect the Netgear and 2Wire via LAN port to LAN port, make the Netgear router an access point, create static IPs, change the range of the DHCP (192.168.xxx), while others say to configure the Netgear router to be the primary and add a wireless extender downstairs.

If someone can tell me the best setup for my goal and how to configure it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren
Luminary

Re: Need setup help with my WNDR3700v2 N600 router

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

you need 2wire in bridge mode
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

you need 2wire in bridge mode

Once I place my 2Wire in bridge mode, can I disconnect the Netgear router and place it downstairs or does it still have to be connected via WAN port to LAN port?
Luminary

ethernet cable out of LAN port from 2wire and connect "internet port" of netgear router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
ethernet cable out of LAN port from 2wire and connect "internet port" of netgear router

If both routers have to be physically connected to each other via ethernet cable, the Netgear will be the primary router, correct?

Since I won't be able to place the Netgear router downstairs and I have no plans on running a 100 foot ethernet cable from upstairs, is using a wireless extender the best option to increase my signal strength to my Xbox and Tivo?
Luminary

if you looking to use 3700 as extender I would probably use

wn2000rpt, wn3000rp that simple going the extender to main wireless router . if not you may limits the security down to WEP with 2wire.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

If that's the case, then it seems I would remove the Netgear router from my setup and wirelessly connect a wireless extender to the 2Wire? I'd prefer to keep the Netgear as the primary router because of the dual band and wireless N capabilities.

Since the 2Wire is wireless b/g, does the extender have to be the same or can I get a wireless N extender?
Luminary

2wire in bridge mode and connect 3700 behind the 2wired

THEN

purchase extender model I suggested and place in remote section you needy to have wireless connected.

so you will need

2wire +3700 ON SAME FLOOR
buy addition extender for other room
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick responses. I'll get one of the extenders you suggested and try this setup when I get home from work.

Thanks again!
Luminary

Your welcome..Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Your welcome..Smiley Happy

I was able to access routerlogin.com and access the Netgear web interface. I was able to place my 2Wire router into bridge mode and make the Netgear the primary. The WAN port of the Netgear is connected to a LAN port on the 2Wire. I have a desktop and Slingbox connected to the Netgear via LAN ports. I have 2 laptops, 2 Tivos, 2 phones and 1 tablet connected wirelessly as well.

I bought a Netgear wireless extender and placed it downstairs. I get great reception now for my Xbox and Roku player.

Thanks for all your help!
Discussion Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Top Contributors