Aspirant

No option to remove the stand

I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on? I'd much prefer to have mine sitting flat on the desk than standing on end, there are feet on the underside of the unit so it must have been considered that it could be used that way.

Have Netgear glued them on to stop them overheating?
Apprentice

Re: No option to remove the stand

I thought that a torx screw driver could be used to remove the stand. The screws are hidden by those rubber feet.

For the record though, I personally would advise against placing the router flat on a surface.

Most modern routers work better on their edges as it aids cooing. They don't have internal fans and the processor's have heat sinks attached. This isn't always enough and the airflow needs a little help.

You could always consider wall mounting the router. With all the 'Red Light' lock up issues happening at present, I would advise against this though as the reset button would be against the wall.
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
I thought that a torx screw driver could be used to remove the stand. The screws are hidden by those rubber feet.

I'm not so sure that's the case, the screws under the feet do not make contact with the part of base that goes into the router. The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.
Apprentice

No problem.
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
For the record though, I personally would advise against placing the router flat on a surface.

Most modern routers work better on their edges as it aids cooing. They don't have internal fans and the processor's have heat sinks attached. This isn't always enough and the airflow needs a little help.

You could always consider wall mounting the router. With all the 'Red Light' lock up issues happening at present, I would advise against this though as the reset button would be against the wall.

What better advice do you want?

Videotrader wrote:
I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on?

Videotrader wrote:
The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.

Just what are you trying to prove? :confused::confused::confused:
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie

What better advice do you want?

answer was standing was better way... for better advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videotrader
I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videotrader
The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.
Just what are you trying to prove?

personal preferences so that router can sit flat , against proper cooling will be router in standing point.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
What better advice do you want? Just what are you trying to prove? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not trying to prove anything, I just wondered if they are all glued in or is it just the two that I've had.

I thought it was interesting that they have wall mounting holes on the back and rubber feet yet it seems the base base has been glued on to stop these options being used.
Apprentice

Have you considered that by removing the stand which was glued-on, it is possible that you may be voiding your warranty?
Novice

It just pulls off, you have to pull hard. It then goes back on no problem.
Aspirant

Videotrader wrote:
I'm not trying to prove anything, I just wondered if they are all glued in or is it just the two that I've had.

I thought it was interesting that they have wall mounting holes on the back and rubber feet yet it seems the base base has been glued on to stop these options being used.

Doubtless it was originally designed with the ability to sit horizontally, or be wall mounted. Then they realised at the last minute that they had designed a lemon that was prone to overheating and unreliable behaviour, so they took those options away as a cheap and dirty "fix". :rolleyes:
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
Have you considered that by removing the stand which was glued-on, it is possible that you may be voiding your warranty?

Maybe, although that unit went back under warranty just fine.

I just had a look in the manual and to be fair it does say that the unit should only be used in the vertical position. The form factor of the unit doesn't really suggest that should be the case, they probably updated the manual and added the glue once they found out that it's prone to overheating.
Luminary

all the router are standing for years... I don't think it was design once to be flat. possible the cheaper way to manufacture and use glue was cost effective.

Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I don't think my router had any problems in down position and my 3300 has had no problems to speak of :footinmouth: . I have vented folder shelves and keep it on top of the rest of my items and the rest on corresponding shelves of the same quality.

Its not server room quality but its not hot to the touch and not cool to the touch.
Luminary

for most who uses router on side will mode to have fan, vent holes on top or usually complains about getting hot.

All in all. all the N adapter was design to be standing and not on flat. Now some models in DGNxx series may came as flat but you also see heat issues but standing up is probably the better way to be. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Apprentice

For anyone interested, check the history of the DGN2000. I bought one of these without knowing about the heat issues. I managed to get it replaced, but the replacement failed as well.

Each lasted several months before failing.

Since then I have always made and effort to keep my routers cool. This has so far meant that they have all been placed on their edges.

As for using a fan, it was pointed out to me that this would likely interfere with the WiFi or ADSL signal, so was not recommended.

In a review of Netgear's latest router (WNDR4500) I noted that the reviewer commented that the stand was not removable.

It is annoying as I believe that some people would like to mount their routers on a wall.

As for my particular DGND3700 though, overheating does not appear to be an issue.With the recent weather in the UK my lounge got very warm and the router continued to work without any major issues (Ok it locked me out of the User Interface, but this happens when it was colder too).
Luminary

I think most of the issues comes from DSL is built-in. DSL are usually gets hotter anyway over standard gateway router in general. I say most heat is build up by that.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Apprentice

I agree with Scubbie that it’s important to be aware that overheating could be an issue and can cause premature failure of internal components. I also agree that standing vertically on "its edge" will provide optimum cooling.

I’ve seen where a fan has been added to provide extra cooling, although I agree that it’s possible to get electro-magnetic interference from it. I’ve seen mention too that the WNDR4500 has a fan, although I haven’t verified that. Personally, I’ll consider drilling a few holes in strategic locations once my warranty has expired. A fan may follow later if I feel it’s necessary.

No mention has been made so far about how the router distributes its signal. As the current design trend seems to be routers that have no external antennas, there is no way to adjust the angle of an antenna as it was possible in the past with external ones. People living in multi-storeyed houses need to have the signal distributed vertically from one floor to the other. They may find placing the router on its side or horizontally produces a better signal to another floor. In such situations, they would be well advised to be innovative (like marauder) and prop the router with 4 electrical outlet protectors to create an airway under the router.
Luminary

ever since the MIMO technology is out the rely on that to have better signal /communication with wifi device but that is not always the case
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Virtuoso

Joe_ wrote:
No mention has been made so far about how the router distributes its signal. As the current design trend seems to be routers that have no external antennas, there is no way to adjust the angle of an antenna as it was possible in the past with external ones.

As June said, 802.11n routers use MIMO, and have multiple antennae some serving different purposes e.g. 2.4GHz only, 5GHz only, and a number used in combination to create a multi-path signal. Some antennae can also be a rather complex optimised PCB pattern that will work better than an external rod antenna. So adding several external antennae will allow the user to adjust the signal paths, and the effects of the adjustment may well be noticeable, but that doesn’t mean that manual adjustment will be any better than the automatic adjustments made by the router chipset where only internal antennae are used. Even if external antennae exist, the user adjustment will be invisibly fighting with the chipset MIMO processes.

As you can see from this link, MIMO processes using several antennae are rather complex, and cannot simply be replaced by manual adjustment. As I have said adding external adjustable antennae will allow the person to see a change in signal strength / quality when they move and antenna, but MIMO will automatically re-adjust as needed, and the end result may not be any better than if just internal antennae are used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-input_multiple-output

MIMO can fail where a good multipath between transmitter and receiver cannot be found e.g. a large wall or other obstacle stands between the two. In that case simply re-positioning the router or changing it’s orientation can help.

The antennae design of the router, and its diverse radiation patterns, may well have been optimised and tested for the router operating on its stand.
Apprentice

Thanks June and Mars for your inputs.

Yes I'm somewhat aware of MIMO antenna technology. My input was mainly aimed at trying to increase the awareness of those persons needing to optimize their signal in a multi-storeyed environment. Netgear themselves have suggested as follows in my own router's User Manual:

Put the router in a vertical position to provide the best side-to-side coverage. Put the router in a horizontal position to provide the best up-and-down coverage.

My other suggestion had to do with providing as much airspace around the router as possible to eliminate any chance of heat issues. Smiley Wink
Discussion Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Top Contributors