Novice

Not Showing Attached Devices

My first post, so pardon if this has been asked and answered...I couldn't find anything on a search.

The router works great and I've had no problem with it. But when I go into the router manager software, Maintenance section, Attached Devices, nothing ever is shown. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

-- gr8whyt
Novice

Re: Not Showing Attached Devices

gr8whyt wrote:
My first post, so pardon if this has been asked and answered...I couldn't find anything on a search.

The router works great and I've had no problem with it. But when I go into the router manager software, Maintenance section, Attached Devices, nothing ever is shown. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

-- gr8whyt

I guess I should add this is a WNDR3700v2 with the latest updates.

-- gr8whyt
Novice

I got my WNDR3700v2 2 days ago, its much faster than my old DLINK but I have this issue as well. It showed all connected clients on the first day but not anymore.
Novice

I wonder if it's because I'm running the admin wirelessly. It's a bit of a PITA to connect by wire. If that's the reason, why?

-- gr8whyt
Aspirant

Hello, Several of us have experienced an ongoing problem with attached devices. I have not seen a fix for the problem. But you can possibly see the devices if you right click on the empty attached devices chart and choose to view frame source...it will show the mac address of devices which are currently attached (at least it worked for me).
Aspirant

This is pretty annoying. It makes doing DHCP reservations a little bit of a pain.
Prodigy

Reboot the device you want to do a reservation on - it will probably show immediately and continue to do so for several minutes.

I'm assuming that this router behaves as many of the others do - devices not shown in the attached devices listing has been an issue, and is caused by the method used to extract the information - Netgear seems to use the router's arp cache, and that only shows devices which are currently active - if the device is attached and inactive, the cache entry will be purged at some point.

There are other ways to extract this information, but none of them are 100% reliable.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
Reboot the device you want to do a reservation on - it will probably show immediately and continue to do so for several minutes. I'm assuming that this router behaves as many of the others do - devices not shown in the attached devices listing has been an issue, and is caused by the method used to extract the information - Netgear seems to use the router's arp cache, and that only shows devices which are currently active - if the device is attached and inactive, the cache entry will be purged at some point. There are other ways to extract this information, but none of them are 100% reliable.
Does Netgear have a formal way of reporting issues like this? While I generally like the performance of this router, I don't think we should have to resort to workarounds for things like this.
Novice

I'm pretty sure my devices showed up prior to the V1.0.7.98 firmware update...I'm thinking of going backwards with the firmware as I could see no real benefit of the updated version as I don't use the guest account or the USB either.
Novice

Ok an update on my last post a few minutes ago. It's definately firmware thats causing the roblem.

I have just re-installed V1.0.4.68 and I can see all attached devices.

So if you really need to see the attached devices I suggest you do the same.
Prodigy

ABalthazor wrote:
Does Netgear have a formal way of reporting issues like this? While I generally like the performance of this router, I don't think we should have to resort to workarounds for things like this.

my.netgear.com

Prodigy

davejo wrote:
Ok an update on my last post a few minutes ago. It's definately firmware thats causing the roblem.

I have just re-installed V1.0.4.68 and I can see all attached devices.

So if you really need to see the attached devices I suggest you do the same.

How long do they stay "visible" for - and - when you "detach" a device does it disappear?

Novice

fordem wrote:
How long do they stay "visible" for - and - when you "detach" a device does it disappear?

They do disappear but not sure of the time factors
Novice

OK I have just enabled my android phone and then disconnected it.

The phone showed up within 1 min of being connected. I then disconnected and refreshed after 30 seconds and it was gone
Novice

fordem wrote:
Reboot the device you want to do a reservation on - it will probably show immediately and continue to do so for several minutes.

I'm assuming that this router behaves as many of the others do - devices not shown in the attached devices listing has been an issue, and is caused by the method used to extract the information - Netgear seems to use the router's arp cache, and that only shows devices which are currently active - if the device is attached and inactive, the cache entry will be purged at some point.

There are other ways to extract this information, but none of them are 100% reliable.

This makes no sense to me. If I am running the admin software, this device is obviously "active". Nothing!

It seems like a major fault that the admin software cannot tell what devices are connected. Lame!

-- gr8whyt
Aspirant

This seems to be the latest thread on this issue so I'll add my issues here. This has been an issue with my WNDR3700 for almost a year since I purchased the router. I'll add that this is my only real issue with this router.

Here is what I have (copied from the Router Status page)
Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

After a power on the Attached Devices works exactly as I would expect. Several days later all devices, wired and wireless are gone. The Attached Devices list is empty. Another power cycle and all is well again for a few days.

I don't have a timeline as I don't check this every day. I have almost a dozen devices in the Reservation List that come and go, some wired and some wireless. Maybe I'll try building a log to see if anything pops out.

I have not been able to find a "Reboot Router" button so I don't know if that would resolve the issue or not. Only a hard power cycle seems to restore the Attached Devices list, for a time.

Still waiting for a fix,
Robert Forkner
Aspirant

I just set up my WNDR3700v2 Dual Band Wireless Router and it works great. Soon after, I logged into the admin function and upgraded the firmware from V1.0.0.6 to V1.0.0.8. Since that upgrade I have experienced the same problem with Attached Devices panel not showing any devices (although clearly the router was working for several). I downloaded from netgear.com V1.0.0.6 and downgraded the firmware and the problem is resolved. I hope Netgear addresses this in the next firmware update for the N600.
Aspirant

Yea, I'm having the same problem with my brand new Netgear WNDR3700v2 router. I wouldn't care, except that as soon as that list empties, all my devices (2 printers, an xBox 360, a NAS, my Android Phone, two PC's, and a few other devices) eventually stop talking to each other. I reset the router, and then everything works....For about 20 minutes.

This problem is almost enough to make me hook back up my old router (an old D-Link DNS-655 revision A2). I upgraded simply because that router doesn't support dual band operation (or IPv6, thought I'm not worried about that at this point). There are so many wireless network's interfering with each other in this building that I couldn't get a stable connection.... but I have discovered that no one is running on the 5ghz frequencies - doing the upgrade eliminated all my interference problems.

Wait a second, I could always disable everything (but the wireless) on the Netgear and use it as a wireless access point only with the old D-link doing everything but wireless...
Novice

I'm running V1.0.7.98NA and my router has this problem also. The attached devices show up after a reboot, but they go away.
Aspirant

Have the same problem. Just started yesterday after 9 months of operation. Where di you find the V1.04.68 firmware? I only see the latest V1.0.7.98NA on the website and have not been saving previous versions.
Aspirant

Why is it so hard for Netgear to fix this? Every single router I have ever used (Dlink, Linksys, etc) for the last 10 years always had the ability to see what devices were attached and never disappeared. There have been how many firmware releases and it's still not fixed??? Someone enlighten me on this.
Aspirant

I have to agree with evawkcohs. I rebooted yesterday afternoon and see that today the attached device list is still good.

However, I know it is just a matter of time until it goes away. It lasts anywhere from an hour to a few days.

BIG SIGH

Bob
Retired_Member

I had 3 of these and none of them were worth a nickel when it came to attached devices.
Aspirant

It looks like after upgrading to the newest .10 firmware, the attached devices is now showing correctly. I'll check it in a few more days to make sure it doesn't go away.
Aspirant

Same issue here - WNDR3700 - n600 - V1.0.7.98NA - been weeks/months since last reboot - nothing in attached devices - wired or wireless.
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors