× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection!

djordje007
Aspirant

Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection!

I work in the office where LAN network and internet access are used through LAN cable. The LAN adapter settings are following in order for network and internet to work:
IPv4:
IP adress: 192.168.157.50
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.157.80
DNS:8.8.8.8
Alternative DNS: 8.8.4.4

Now I add a router Netgear N300 inbetween and set it to use the same paramers on router (router address 192.168.199.1), and set computer to obtain IP and DNS automatically. So now I have a computer and WiFi working but comuter cant "see" other computers on network (computers are shown in network section of File Explorer). I have tried all the solutions offered here but with no luck.

If someone can please help me with this problem, I just cant figure out and I tried everything. Please, if that could be step by step.
My configuration is basicaly like this:
Network/Internet ------> router--------> PC (with internet - no network computers)
Can it be done at all?

Model: JWNR2010v3|N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Router does not show windows network computers but has internet connection!

@djordje007 wrote:

Please if someone can help with this problem.

• Turn JWNR2010v3 into access point (see manual)
  • Plug JWNR2010v3 into router
  • Plug PC into JWNR2010v3

Or

• Get small ethernet switch (four ports is probably smallest you can get)
  • Turn JWNR2010v3 into access point
  • Plug JWNR2010v3 into switch
  • Plug PC into switch

The network's router, whatever that is, will handle all the addressing, JWNR2010v3, PC and anything that connects to the wifi.

@djordje007 wrote:

In my opinion it has to do with Router giving the right IP adress to PC (so PC can use IP settings that work).

Not really. You already have a router at the other end of your LAN cable that is handling IP addresses. It is unwise to have two routers trying to do that.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
djordje007
Aspirant

Fotgot to mention: router gives PC following IP adress: 192.168.199.2.
Message 2 of 8

@djordje007 wrote:

Now I add a router Netgear N300 inbetween

What N300 is this? That's a wifi speed indicator – for a very old piece of equipment – not a netgear model number.

@djordje007 wrote:

and set it to use the same paramers on router (router address 192.168.199.1), and set computer to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

Without knowing what the device is, it is hard to tell what is going on, but what are you trying to achieve with this extra box? And why did you use those settings?

JWNR2010v3 | N300 WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 8
djordje007
Aspirant

I want to install WiFi in my office but not lose connection with LAN network computers. I realize the router is old, but there should be a way for PC to see other LAN network computers through Netgear router. I listed the adapter parameters that my network accepts, router also accepts, but with losing LAN network connectivity.
Message 4 of 8

@djordje007 wrote:
I want to install WiFi in my office but not lose connection with LAN network computers.

Once again, not knowing what this N300 device is that you want to add, it is anyone's guess as to how you do it.

If it is the JWNR2010v3, then we need to know what the router is that you want it to talk to.

The way to achieve what you want is probably to use the N300, whatever it is, as a wireless access point. In that way the unnamed router picks up the task of handing IP addresses. You shouldn't need to do anything with the "N300" on that front.

The JWNR2010v3 is old and does not seem to have a manual of its own, but it is a generic box that may well have the same settings as others in the same range.

>>>> JNR1010v2 | N150 Wireless Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Check the section Wireless Distribution System. Look at the bit Wireless base station.

Message 5 of 8
djordje007
Aspirant

Router modem is JWNR2010v3.

I draw a diagram what is the situation to make it simple.

I tried experimenting with dhcp server, with chaging IP settings on PC, static routes but nothing worked. As mentioned internet works both WiFi and PC but PC can't see other computers on the network from LAN cable.

Please if someone can help with this problem. In my opinion it has to do with Router giving the right IP adress to PC (so PC can use IP settings that work).

Message 6 of 8

@djordje007 wrote:

Please if someone can help with this problem.

• Turn JWNR2010v3 into access point (see manual)
  • Plug JWNR2010v3 into router
  • Plug PC into JWNR2010v3

Or

• Get small ethernet switch (four ports is probably smallest you can get)
  • Turn JWNR2010v3 into access point
  • Plug JWNR2010v3 into switch
  • Plug PC into switch

The network's router, whatever that is, will handle all the addressing, JWNR2010v3, PC and anything that connects to the wifi.

@djordje007 wrote:

In my opinion it has to do with Router giving the right IP adress to PC (so PC can use IP settings that work).

Not really. You already have a router at the other end of your LAN cable that is handling IP addresses. It is unwise to have two routers trying to do that.

Message 7 of 8
djordje007
Aspirant

Thank you for reply. 

First option - the PC doesnt see other computers but have internet - that was a problem.

Second - it is a very elegant solution - i will do that!

Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7