Visitor

Router not 450 + 450 Mbps

When I use inSSIDer, I see my 2.4 GHz network with a theoretical max of 216 Mbps, not the 450 Mbps that is advertised. It correctly lists my 5 GHz network as 450 Mbps. When I check my setup via Genie (Advanced>Wireless Setup>Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)), I have set:
Channel = Auto
Mode = Up to 450 Mbps

Is there a setting that I am not configuring correctly?

Using inSSIDer, it says the router has set my 2.4GHz network to Channel=9 with a max rate of 216Mbps. The router has set my 5GHz network to Channel=157+161 with a max rate of 450Mbps. With my old WNDR3700, the router set my 2.4GHz network to two channels with a max of 300 as it did my 5GHz network. Does the WNDR4500 assigning only 1 channel to the 2.4GHz decrease its advertised speed? If so, how do I get it to assign 2 channels to my 2.4 GHz network?
Regular Contributor

Re: Router not 450 + 450 Mbps

make sure you wifi adapter support 450Mbps
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Newcomer

z3540 wrote:
When I use inSSIDer, I see my 2.4 GHz network with a theoretical max of 216 Mbps, not the 450 Mbps that is advertised. It correctly lists my 5 GHz network as 450 Mbps. When I check my setup via Genie (Advanced>Wireless Setup>Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)), I have set:
Channel = Auto
Mode = Up to 450 Mbps

Is there a setting that I am not configuring correctly?

Using inSSIDer, it says the router has set my 2.4GHz network to Channel=9 with a max rate of 216Mbps. The router has set my 5GHz network to Channel=157+161 with a max rate of 450Mbps. With my old WNDR3700, the router set my 2.4GHz network to two channels with a max of 300 as it did my 5GHz network. Does the WNDR4500 assigning only 1 channel to the 2.4GHz decrease its advertised speed? If so, how do I get it to assign 2 channels to my 2.4 GHz network?

I have exactly the same problem! I had an old WNDR 3500L which reached 300 without problems using two channels on 2.4Ghz but the WNDR 4500 does not use two channels. You can see from both inSSIDer and the "status" of the router, where you can see that on the 5Ghz band it uses 2 channels and only one on 2.4 (in both cases, on auto or by setting your own channels).

The adapter has nothing to do with the signal that the router is sending out. I have two adapters on my laptop, they are both 2.4Ghz (no 5) but one is capable of dual channel (i.e. up to 300 mbps) and the other is not. No matter what adapter I use, InSSIDer shows that my WNDR 4500 uses only one channel (216 mbps) and my WNDR3500L uses two channels (300mbps).

At first I thought that there was a "good neighbor" policity activated on my 4500, but then even if change to 450mbps it still uses one channel (@216).

If the problem was my adapter, I might not be able to see the 450mbps speed on InSSIDER, but in the status of the router I should be able to see two channels anyway, in fact my adapter is not capable to use 5Ghz, but I can see from the status of the router that the 4500 is bonding two channels on 5GHZ.
Regular Contributor

I had an old WNDR 3500L which reached 300 without problems using two channels on 2.4Ghz but the WNDR 4500 does not use two channels.

dual channel are used over 150Mbps speed and 145Mbps below will be single channel.

I wound contact support about your findings at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Newcomer

jmizoguchi wrote:
dual channel are used over 150Mbps speed and 145Mbps below will be single channel.

I wound contact support about your findings at my.netgear.com

I did contact them and been told that they are looking into a possible solution.
Regular Contributor

inSSIDer measure does NOT measure speed but merely report the theoretical maximum as reported by the router.

inSSIDer correctly reports my WNDR4500 2.4GHz band at 450 but the lil laptop I ran this on, a five year old Acer Aspire with a Atheros AR50007EG wireless card only links at 54 -- which is all the AR5007EG is physically capable of.

It would be nice if inSSIDer could make this lil PC run at 450, though! Smiley Wink

-- Chuck
Newcomer

Chuck_s wrote:
inSSIDer measure does NOT measure speed but merely report the theoretical maximum as reported by the router.

inSSIDer correctly reports my WNDR4500 2.4GHz band at 450 but the lil laptop I ran this on, a five year old Acer Aspire with a Atheros AR50007EG wireless card only links at 54 -- which is all the AR5007EG is physically capable of.

It would be nice if inSSIDer could make this lil PC run at 450, though! Smiley Wink

-- Chuck

I dont think so. I think InSSIDer tells you the theoretical link speed at which you would be able to connect to the router (should you have the right adapter), which is different that the "maximum speed as reported by the router". That is why InSSIDer tells me that the maximum speed at which I could connect to my router is 216, although the router is set to (and "reports") 450mbps.

By the way, according to InSSIDer how many 2.4Ghz channels is your 4500 using?
Regular Contributor

That's what I (thought) I said. Smiley Happy

inSSIDer can only read a data signal and the max speed of the router has gotta be imbedded there somewhere, just like the modem's name is. On a PC hardware is only capable of 54M connect speeds the 450M really means nothing.

I don't think inSSIDer is measuring anything, just reading data.

-- Chuck
Newcomer

Chuck_s wrote:
That's what I (thought) I said. Smiley Happy

inSSIDer can only read a data signal and the max speed of the router has gotta be imbedded there somewhere, just like the modem's name is. On a PC hardware is only capable of 54M connect speeds the 450M really means nothing.

I don't think inSSIDer is measuring anything, just reading data.

-- Chuck

Well then we're probably saying the same thing. My point is simply that if InSSIDer says that there is a 450M connection available -- and you have an adapter that is capable to connect to that speed -- then you should be able to connect to that speed (which is kinda obvious). To the contrary, IMO if your router is set to "up to 450M" but inSSIDer reads only a 216M signal, then you won't be able to connect to more than 216M.
Regular Contributor

First, what NIC adapter cards are you using?

Second, inSSIDer is not precision software. Complicating this is your NIC adapter card, which affects the performance of inSSIDer.

I have an Intel 5300 3 antenna, 3 radio NIC Adapter card. The 4500 is set to 450 Mbps on the 5 GHz band. Running inSSIDer just now, what I saw reporting for the 5 GHz band changed based on distance from the router. In my remote location, inSSIDer reported 150 Mbps and either a single or bonded channel based on orientation of the notebook client in the room. Moving to the same room as the router, inSSIDer continued to report 150 Mbps but consistent bonded channel. I then opened the firmware on a hardwired desktop and re-initialized (saved) the same settings without making any changes but no changes to the inSSIDer reporting - still 150 Mbps.

I then closed inSSIDer and opened Wireless Network Connection Status in Windows and it reported the Link Rate of 450 Mbps properly. I restarted inSSIDer and it now shows 450 Mbps and the proper bonded channels for the 5 GHz band. I did not test the 2.4 GHz band but I assume it displays similar idiosyncrasies.

There are several key points here.

1) inSSIDer is not perfect. It may be the software is weak and/or the NIC and/or router is/are the reason(s) for the discrepancies seen. inSSIDer is a tool with limitations and is not the end all, be all to determing performance of your LAN.

2) The Mbps Link Rate reported by inSSIDer is the static programmed value of what is chosen by the user in the firmware, in this case the Mode. It oftentimes is not what the static link rate reported by you NIC adapter card via something like Wireless Network Connection Status in Windows. While the Wireless Network Connection Status in Windows may report the static programmed Link Rate initially on connecting to your router, you will see the Link Rate decrease (based on distance from the router and interference from other signal). Even that lower Link Rate is not a measurement of actual throughput speed. For instance, my Link rate will increase during data transfer and then drop down after transmission is completed.

Use Wireless Network Connection Status in Windows to see how the Link Rate changes all the above points in time mentioned about.

3) The static Link Rate is not the critical measurement. The transfer speed of data during transmission (throughput) is critical. To determine throughput you will need to have two computers shared on your LAN and then run something like iperf or LAN Speed Test.

If the ability of your NIC adapter card, the Mode setting on the router, and the results of throughput testing - with or without corroboration from Wireless Network Connection Status in Windows or similar application (but NOT inSSIDer) - do not make sense, then it could be something else creating an issue, including the router or interference to your signal.

The key points are don't live and die by inSSIDer and test thoughputs if you want data of value.
Discussion Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Top Contributors