× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router stops working after brief power outage

Jasonrph
Novice

Router stops working after brief power outage

Hello everyone,

My router is actually the RangeMax Duo WNDR3300, but I couldn't see that forum. Sorry.

This has happened twice now. If we lose power briefly, my routers stop working (after the power comes back on of course). I follow all the basic reset process (turn both modem and router off, power on modem, then after it is fine power on the router).

It seems like it just wont accept any information coming from the modem. I actually have an older Netgear router and it will not work either.

This happened about a month ago, and after about 2 days of not having wireless in the house...I hooked it back up, and it worked.

Now I am down again.

Anyone have an idea about what is going on? I truly appreciate the help. I'm a pharmacist...and will gladly reciprocate with prescription knowledge! LOL.

Thanks!

Jason
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Investing in APC backup UPS will help you with power outage and have less issues.

I would remove ALL power supply and network cables and let sit for 30 min, router and broadband.

start with broadband modem ONLY and wait
after all the light is up on modem, hook up the router and see

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Investing in APC backup UPS will help you with power outage and have less issues.

I would remove ALL power supply and network cables and let sit for 30 min, router and broadband.

start with broadband modem ONLY and wait
after all the light is up on modem, hook up the router and see
Message 2 of 9
Jasonrph
Novice

jmizoguchi,

I did exactly what you said. 3 things:

1. It WORKED!

2. You're a genius

3. Anyone know WHY this works? Why did I have to disconnect everything for 30 minutes? What's the magic? Don't get me wrong...I'm happy!! But I'm just curious from a technical side...why disconnecting for a couple minutes didn't work...but 40 minutes did.

Anyway...THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Jason
Message 3 of 9
sabretooth
Apprentice

Well that is the standard power up policy when you have a modem and router. Power up modem first and wait until it finishes, then power up the router. The router has to retrieve information from the modem, if it's not there... no connection. As JM said, put them on a UPS.
Message 4 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Jasonrph wrote:
jmizoguchi,

I did exactly what you said. 3 things:

1. It WORKED!

2. You're a genius

3. Anyone know WHY this works? Why did I have to disconnect everything for 30 minutes? What's the magic? Don't get me wrong...I'm happy!! But I'm just curious from a technical side...why disconnecting for a couple minutes didn't work...but 40 minutes did.

Anyway...THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Jason

Usually it takes ISP to clear the up the their network are easiest way to say.

I say 20min are need when I have to do some troubleshoot with my comcast and this does not matter if you have WNDRxxx serials. I have ProsSecure business class router and does the same.
Message 5 of 9
mamab
Aspirant

Thanks for your information.  I have been trying everything to get my router to work again and after I tried this it works great!

Message 6 of 9
ECHO123
Aspirant

I had the same issue after a power outage and none of these recommendations worked, anymore ideas?
Message 7 of 9
froggygurl8775
Aspirant

What is an APC BACKUP? Thanks!
Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://www.apc.com/

uses a small battery to make AC when power goes out

Message 9 of 9