Initial Contributor

WNDR3400 Readyshare problem with WD external drive

I just connected my WD5000AAK 500GB external drive to my Netgear router, but in the router GUI, it doesn't show up. Is there a problem with this drive? It's formatted as NTFS, and the router has the most current version of the firmware.

Thanks!
Scott
Initial Contributor

Re: WNDR3400 Readyshare problem with WD external drive

Yes, I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Windows 7x64 and I can not map to my external. I am able to ping successfully to the external HD and go to the HTTP link to access my files but for some reason Windows 7 doesn't recognize the Network it created for the USB device. I called NETGEAR and they claim its a Windows 7 setting issue. Does anyone know what settings I need to set inorder get this thing working?

On another note, I have an older laptop that is running XP and it mapped the external HD with no problems. So I'm leaning more to a Windows 7 compatibility issue. I also downloaded and installed the latest firmware. HELP!!!
Initial Contributor

Initial Contributor

Unfortunately, my problem is that the router itself can't see it. When I plug it directly into my laptop (OSX and Windows 7 Pro), it operates it fine. But when I plug it into the router, nothing.
Occasional Contributor

I get intermittent AAA THERE IT IS moments with both of my win 7x64 machines. It will show up in MY COMPUTER under NETWORK then I access is and upload files to it and then bang after I do that it is gone till it wants to come back.

This is the sole purpose I bought this router when looking to upgrade from a Cisco. I am a network tech and I can't figure this thing out.

If it can't get fixed I am going to sell it and get something else.
Regular Contributor

Not all drives are supported. If the router cannot see the device or it doesn't work fully, that's likely because it's not supported.
http://www.TheExoticFish.com
Occasional Contributor

It is on the supported list.

So is the list wrong?

I also noticed that if I close the lid on my laptop it losing connection with the hard drive. If I go to the web address it is there and active but you can upload anything that way. You have to FTP it and that is a royal pain.
Regular Contributor

Occasional Contributor

Do you have a hard time reading? Yes it is on the list. Pulled from your link. Western Digital My Book, 1000GB
Regular Contributor

I can read perfectly fine thank you. Good luck as I will not continue to help you with an attitude like that.
http://www.TheExoticFish.com
Discussion Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Top Contributors