Aspirant

WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

My cable internet provider gave me a new modem for faster internet and had one of their mechanics install it correctly (?) for me. The internet connection works fine, like it had before too, exept the following : Once every day I loose my wired (and wireless) connection. When I go to Windows Network Control, and have it analised, I get this message (which I translate here freely) : There is possibly a problem with the DNS-configuration (Domain Name Server) The known host www.microsoft.com can't be found via DNS. Possibly the server is not active. It can't be a problem of my pc, because I can still connect to internet via my neighbours networks when this happens. (yes: some of them have lausy security) Can someone help me find a way to fix this ? As I think it is a WNDR3700 problem. I have done a reset of it first : Turn off everything (pc & router & modem ) Then wait 10 minutes. First : Turn on modem - wait until all lights are good - Then : Turn on WNDR3700 - wait until all lights are good - Last : Turn on pc. Did I do this the right way ? I did notice I hadn't lost any of my router settings, which made me happy, but is that how it should be ? Should I revert the WNDR3700 to the factory settings completely first like I can do in the router interface ? And if I make a backup of the router settings before doing that, will my WPA2-PSK (AES) settings also be backed up in that file ? ( including my passphrase ?) Are there any other reasons why I could get the Windows message concerning the DNS ? Or am I just lost ? :confused:
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Firmware version V1.0.16.98 - Language version interface V1.0.0.64
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

if you are not getting online try accessing the router's user configuration screen (usually, www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1) and then look at the tab Router Status. If there is an IP address under the Internet Port section of that it means that the router is still online.

The problem could just be with the computer so try opening the DOS prompt and perform ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew and see if it fixes the problem. Windows computers often have problems after waking them up from stand-by, sleep, or hibernation.

If this does not fix it, try placing static DNS on the computers ethernet adapter like 4.2.2.2 for primary and 4.2.2.1 for secondary. To do this you go to properties of your Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network Connection if you are wireless) then open properties for Internet Protocol TCP/IP. It could be possible the DNS server used by your ISP is just having problems.
Luminary

I did notice I hadn't lost any of my router settings, which made me happy, but is that how it should be ?

you reset did not do anything. once sign of correct reset is the it will loose all the setting and go back to factory default

see router reset on my sig below and step1

do the correct reset first and see

also post what is the broadband modem model
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thank you. My cable modem is a : Ubee EVM 3200 (eurodocsis 3.0 modem) I did a reset as specified in June's sig link. Made a backup of the routersettings first. Used paperclip to reset the router for 7 seconds until the lights flashed. Then finished like in June's link. Didn't take much time at all and after uploading my backup I was set to go. So far I haven't noticed the original problem re-occur. Only weird thing is sometimes my Lease is getting renewed way before the time of expiring (= 24 hrs), causing me to loose my connection for a few minutes. This shouldn't happen, no ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Luminary

Only weird thing is sometimes my Lease is getting renewed way before the time of expiring (= 24 hrs), causing me to loose my connection for a few minutes.

LAN or WAN side? assume LAN side?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Checked on Windows Network Control on my Vista pc, so LAN side. And believe it or not, 3 minutes after posting my previous post my internet connection (wired and wireless) completely went down again and I once more I recieved the message : There is possibly a problem with the DNS-configuration (Domain Name Server) The known host www.microsoft.com can't be found via DNS. Possibly the server is not active. So, now I have two kinds of connection loss I got to deal with : On that solves itself withing several minutes, and one that can take a very long time to solve. The latter one I tried to solve by restarting (off/on) the router, but that didn't appear to work. And offcourse I did the correct full reset as in June's sig. Questions... For example : Should the standard gateway (IPv4) be 10.0.0.1 ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Aspirant

... Only thing I haven't mentioned before but now I feel maybee it could be (part) of the problem is the following: After originally having installed the Ubee EVM3200 modem I couldn't connect to internet at all. The correct lights wouldn't go green, they stayed orange. Then a cable company mechanic came. He said the Ubee sometimes had some problems with processing the input from the streetside because it was too much, or something like that. So he placed a Tratec LPF-557/T5 low pass filter between the Ubee modem and the wall socket (leading to the "street"). The Tratec low pass filter LPF-557/T5 has the following written on it: passband : 5 - 557 Mhz stopband : 597 - 862 Mhz rejection : >_ 60 dB Could this have something to do with my two problems ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Virtuoso

Your modem seems to be more than the average DOCSIS modem and it offers features like VoIP support. I can’t find many details that are not in Dutch, but I don’t think it has router functions. What I have found is that its configuration pages are at 192.168.1.1 which would explain why the Netgear router has switched to the 10.0.0.x subnet on the LAN side.

The addition of the band pass filter will affect only the modem and not the modem-router connection.

Is the router close to the cabel modem, if it is less than 1 metre from the modem this can cause significant problems for many brands/models of router.
Luminary

assuming because you have internet issues you are swapping the router and your pc to the cable modem to gain access.

you must turn off the cable modem each single time you swap the devices and wait few minutes. ISP will NOT release IP to the next device if you just plug-in the device without turning off the cable modem for few minutes.

also check with PC wired the router and eliminate wireless to the last so that you know the issue is wether toward WAN of router or wireless. it is bad diagnostic procedure to use wireless
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thank you, June and Andy, for taking the time to try to help me out here. Smiley Happy At this point I'm convinced it's the modem that has the DNS configuration problems, and not the WNDR3700, since it also occurs when connected wired directly to the modem. @ Andy: I checked ; this modem has no router functions. I tried to reach it on 192.168.1.1 but IE gives the message that the webpage can't be displayed. And I found out on the user forums of my cable internetprovider that actually in most regions in my country the modemlogin for this specific modem is at a 10.0.x.x address. So I tried tracing to find out what IP it uses by using cmd > tracert www.mycablecompanyname.nl but in my specific region they have somehow completely disabled it from appearing in the results. My tracert results just skip the hop completely. Then I called the cable internetprovider and asked for my modem IP, but there they say they don't know it, only their mechanics can read them. (I hate those callcenters !) I don't believe them. I think they're just afraid their customers will start configuring things they don't (want them to) understand. They adviced me to do a modem setback to factory defaults. So I grabbed my good ol' paperclip and did a full reset on the modem. Now I have to wait and see if that solves the problem. My modem and router are connected by the (cat 5) cable that came with my WNDR3700, and it's about 1 meter long. Are you giving me the advice to get an other cable that's a bit longer ? @ June : I had swapped my router for my modem to gain direct access to it from my pc. I have wireless disabled when doing my tests. The two problems occured while being only connected wired.
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Luminary

when directly connected have issues then you want discuss that with ISP.

what you can try is do ipconfig

copy down the

ip address
subnet
gateway

then go to network properties of the network adapter and set up as static IP

then use this DNS

then test again if URL works
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with my WNDR3700 wireless router. My router works for a while, resolves domain names fine, then after a while (within an hour or less) it loses all ability to resolve domain names. It's not just on one computer. It happens on my wired Vista desktop, my Win7 laptop, and my iPad 2 - so it's not related to operating system or wireless/wired connectivity.

I'm pretty sure it's a DNS issue because i can't even get to routerlogin.com when this happens, but i can get to my Synology file/photo server by IP.

Honestly, i was just trying to upgrade to a newer better router, but I've just had problems with this (actually, Netgear had me return my previous one and this one is doing the same thing). When i swap back to my old Linksys one it works fine...doesn't lose ability to resolve domain names at all.

Is there some setting or something I can change in the Netgear router? There's obviously some different config setting or conflict with the Netgear one...just sure how to resolve it. Smiley Sad

I have a Ubee cable modem (looks like the model is: U10C018.83) as well and am using Time Warner Road Runner as my ISP. I would appreciate any help because the Netgear tech guys couldn't figure it out! Thanks!!
Luminary

did you try my suggestion?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Hi farinator, welcome to the Netgear community ! I think you should try June's (jmizoguchi) suggestions. This is an expert talking. Although you may have a similar Ubee modem there may be crucial differences. I am in Europe and we use Eurodocsis 2, so I can't guarantee my Ubee modem works the same as in your country. If the right lights on your Ubee modem are not on (or wrong color like two of them are orange) then contact your internet provider for service. On my Ubee modem the lights are (from right to left): green - green - orange - green (and these ones are not supposed to keep blinking) If you also have telephone (VoIP) through the modem then there will be additional lights on as well (all green, and sometimes they're blinking - it's supposed to be like that) In any case you should have (only) one orange light amongst them. If your modem doesn't have those then there may be a problem. It may be the case that the internet provider didn't correctly connect the modem to the cable network (I mean the connection from your modem to the wall socket, this is extremely sensitive - an internal loose thread could be the cause). Also I had it happen that they didn't properly activate my internet connection from their main server. Their inability to fill in something (on their administrative PC) in a grayed out screen field prevented them from reaching the next screen, where the actual activation was. My personal advice in this case is to do the paperclip method: Use a paperclip to reset both devices. (both modem and router) Insert end of paperclip into the reset button and hold it for 30 seconds. Be aware that when you do this you will loose any settings made before ! It will cause the devices to fully reset to default values and search for any updates available. When installing a network follow this order: 1) switch off PC, and router 2) install modem (reset with paperclip as described above, then wait until it finishes setting itself - check if correct lights are on) 3) install router (turn on and reset with paperclip as described above) 4) install pc side of network (turn on PC - it should adapt to correct settings) 5) use method as described previously in this topic to gain access to your router-login. Then change the settings as desired. Good luck ! Smiley Happy
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Aspirant

farinator wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my WNDR3700 wireless router. My router works for a while, resolves domain names fine, then after a while (within an hour or less) it loses all ability to resolve domain names. It's not just on one computer. It happens on my wired Vista desktop, my Win7 laptop, and my iPad 2 - so it's not related to operating system or wireless/wired connectivity.

I'm pretty sure it's a DNS issue because i can't even get to routerlogin.com when this happens, but i can get to my Synology file/photo server by IP.

Honestly, i was just trying to upgrade to a newer better router, but I've just had problems with this (actually, Netgear had me return my previous one and this one is doing the same thing). When i swap back to my old Linksys one it works fine...doesn't lose ability to resolve domain names at all.

Is there some setting or something I can change in the Netgear router? There's obviously some different config setting or conflict with the Netgear one...just sure how to resolve it. Smiley Sad

I have a Ubee cable modem (looks like the model is: U10C018.83) as well and am using Time Warner Road Runner as my ISP. I would appreciate any help because the Netgear tech guys couldn't figure it out! Thanks!!

It is the firmware version 1.0.7.98NA that you are using. I have the same issue with this version of the firmware where it loses DNS name resolution ability after running for a while. I also have Time Warner RR as my ISP and was using their DNS servers. I think there might be some weird incompatibility issue with the TWRR DNS servers and this firmware version. I have recently given this firmware another try but this time using different DNS servers and it seems to be holding up for two days running now. I had read in another thread someone said they also repointed to another DNS server and it held up for them too. The DNS server I am using now is openDNS. There DNS server ipaddresses are as follows:

Go to your router's Basic Settings config page and under the Domain Name Services (DNS) Addresses section, choose to specify your own Primary and Secondary DNS servers using the two ipaddress I show you above. Hit apply and save and you should be set. Let us know if it holds up from there on.

Although I have reported this issue to Netgear Support and they acknowledged it about a month ago, I am not sure if it is fixed in the just released newer firmware announced yesterday (firmware version 1.0.14.98). I have not yet tried this newest firmware yet because I want to see if this previous version 1.0.7.98NA holds up with the new openDNS server ipaddresses change I made. So far it seems to be holding up and has not locked up on me yet after about 2 days running so far. It would previously lock up on me within 1 day using the Time Warner DNS ipaddresses. So far, so good. fyi.
Aspirant

StaticFree wrote:
It is the firmware version 1.0.7.98NA that you are using

Man ... thanks for this post. I'm running the latest version V1.0.16.98NA and the issue still persists. I also have Time Warner RR as the ISP. Pointing to the OpenDNS servers as posted resolved this issue for me. I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.
Apprentice

I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.

You should read some of the threads on this forum to help you make a decision. Smiley Wink
Luminary

maxvelocity wrote:
Man ... thanks for this post. I'm running the latest version V1.0.16.98NA and the issue still persists. I also have Time Warner RR as the ISP. Pointing to the OpenDNS servers as posted resolved this issue for me. I just got this router for 3 days and already I'm hating it, may be I should go back to LinkSys.

I use opendns with my Comcast. I do not us this home end routers but opendns is better than ISP DNS ... Just 2cents. Although I did not change to opendns because router could not work propoery Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem (created a new topic) where I lose internet connectivity for 3-5 minutes. But I have 2 PCs, 1 at 100mb and the other at 1gb and it's only the 100mb PC that loses connection!

I am going to try setting the DNS manually, will report back. It happens multiple times per day so I will know by tonight if this helped.

Strange that I've had this router for 3-4 months and this did not start happening until a week or 2 ago!
Novice

Hey there -

I read this whole thread, and I'm not yet 100% sure that your problem is the problem I had. The suggestions to date mostly seem worthwhile (isolate your cable modem, isolate the DNS by using it locally, etc.) but ....

*IF* it helps, here's the thread of my similar issue. My resolution was to downgrade to 1.0.4.68 and wait for this bug to be addressed .... and I'm not holding my breath. Submitting the issue to Netgear support was completely ineffectual, afaict.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65095

Good luck!

-Jailbird
Aspirant

Knock on wood...I have not lost connectivity at all since making the change to the DNS. I think we have a winner.
Aspirant

pigskins wrote:
Knock on wood...I have not lost connectivity at all since making the change to the DNS. I think we have a winner.

Just to clarify, did you set the DNS manually on the router (but the computer is still using the router's address for DNS)? or manually on the computer (so the computer bypasses the router's DNS function entirely)?
Discussion Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors