Contributor

WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

My cable internet provider gave me a new modem for faster internet and had one of their mechanics install it correctly (?) for me. The internet connection works fine, like it had before too, exept the following : Once every day I loose my wired (and wireless) connection. When I go to Windows Network Control, and have it analised, I get this message (which I translate here freely) : There is possibly a problem with the DNS-configuration (Domain Name Server) The known host www.microsoft.com can't be found via DNS. Possibly the server is not active. It can't be a problem of my pc, because I can still connect to internet via my neighbours networks when this happens. (yes: some of them have lausy security) Can someone help me find a way to fix this ? As I think it is a WNDR3700 problem. I have done a reset of it first : Turn off everything (pc & router & modem ) Then wait 10 minutes. First : Turn on modem - wait until all lights are good - Then : Turn on WNDR3700 - wait until all lights are good - Last : Turn on pc. Did I do this the right way ? I did notice I hadn't lost any of my router settings, which made me happy, but is that how it should be ? Should I revert the WNDR3700 to the factory settings completely first like I can do in the router interface ? And if I make a backup of the router settings before doing that, will my WPA2-PSK (AES) settings also be backed up in that file ? ( including my passphrase ?) Are there any other reasons why I could get the Windows message concerning the DNS ? Or am I just lost ? :confused:
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Firmware version V1.0.16.98 - Language version interface V1.0.0.64
Regular Contributor

Re: WNDR3700 : DNS-configuration problem

if you are not getting online try accessing the router's user configuration screen (usually, www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1) and then look at the tab Router Status. If there is an IP address under the Internet Port section of that it means that the router is still online.

The problem could just be with the computer so try opening the DOS prompt and perform ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew and see if it fixes the problem. Windows computers often have problems after waking them up from stand-by, sleep, or hibernation.

If this does not fix it, try placing static DNS on the computers ethernet adapter like 4.2.2.2 for primary and 4.2.2.1 for secondary. To do this you go to properties of your Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network Connection if you are wireless) then open properties for Internet Protocol TCP/IP. It could be possible the DNS server used by your ISP is just having problems.
Regular Contributor

I did notice I hadn't lost any of my router settings, which made me happy, but is that how it should be ?

you reset did not do anything. once sign of correct reset is the it will loose all the setting and go back to factory default

see router reset on my sig below and step1

do the correct reset first and see

also post what is the broadband modem model
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Contributor

Thank you. My cable modem is a : Ubee EVM 3200 (eurodocsis 3.0 modem) I did a reset as specified in June's sig link. Made a backup of the routersettings first. Used paperclip to reset the router for 7 seconds until the lights flashed. Then finished like in June's link. Didn't take much time at all and after uploading my backup I was set to go. So far I haven't noticed the original problem re-occur. Only weird thing is sometimes my Lease is getting renewed way before the time of expiring (= 24 hrs), causing me to loose my connection for a few minutes. This shouldn't happen, no ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Regular Contributor

Only weird thing is sometimes my Lease is getting renewed way before the time of expiring (= 24 hrs), causing me to loose my connection for a few minutes.

LAN or WAN side? assume LAN side?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Contributor

Checked on Windows Network Control on my Vista pc, so LAN side. And believe it or not, 3 minutes after posting my previous post my internet connection (wired and wireless) completely went down again and I once more I recieved the message : There is possibly a problem with the DNS-configuration (Domain Name Server) The known host www.microsoft.com can't be found via DNS. Possibly the server is not active. So, now I have two kinds of connection loss I got to deal with : On that solves itself withing several minutes, and one that can take a very long time to solve. The latter one I tried to solve by restarting (off/on) the router, but that didn't appear to work. And offcourse I did the correct full reset as in June's sig. Questions... For example : Should the standard gateway (IPv4) be 10.0.0.1 ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Contributor

... Only thing I haven't mentioned before but now I feel maybee it could be (part) of the problem is the following: After originally having installed the Ubee EVM3200 modem I couldn't connect to internet at all. The correct lights wouldn't go green, they stayed orange. Then a cable company mechanic came. He said the Ubee sometimes had some problems with processing the input from the streetside because it was too much, or something like that. So he placed a Tratec LPF-557/T5 low pass filter between the Ubee modem and the wall socket (leading to the "street"). The Tratec low pass filter LPF-557/T5 has the following written on it: passband : 5 - 557 Mhz stopband : 597 - 862 Mhz rejection : >_ 60 dB Could this have something to do with my two problems ?
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Esteemed Contributor

Your modem seems to be more than the average DOCSIS modem and it offers features like VoIP support. I can’t find many details that are not in Dutch, but I don’t think it has router functions. What I have found is that its configuration pages are at 192.168.1.1 which would explain why the Netgear router has switched to the 10.0.0.x subnet on the LAN side.

The addition of the band pass filter will affect only the modem and not the modem-router connection.

Is the router close to the cabel modem, if it is less than 1 metre from the modem this can cause significant problems for many brands/models of router.
Regular Contributor

assuming because you have internet issues you are swapping the router and your pc to the cable modem to gain access.

you must turn off the cable modem each single time you swap the devices and wait few minutes. ISP will NOT release IP to the next device if you just plug-in the device without turning off the cable modem for few minutes.

also check with PC wired the router and eliminate wireless to the last so that you know the issue is wether toward WAN of router or wireless. it is bad diagnostic procedure to use wireless
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Contributor

Thank you, June and Andy, for taking the time to try to help me out here. Smiley Happy At this point I'm convinced it's the modem that has the DNS configuration problems, and not the WNDR3700, since it also occurs when connected wired directly to the modem. @ Andy: I checked ; this modem has no router functions. I tried to reach it on 192.168.1.1 but IE gives the message that the webpage can't be displayed. And I found out on the user forums of my cable internetprovider that actually in most regions in my country the modemlogin for this specific modem is at a 10.0.x.x address. So I tried tracing to find out what IP it uses by using cmd > tracert www.mycablecompanyname.nl but in my specific region they have somehow completely disabled it from appearing in the results. My tracert results just skip the hop completely. Then I called the cable internetprovider and asked for my modem IP, but there they say they don't know it, only their mechanics can read them. (I hate those callcenters !) I don't believe them. I think they're just afraid their customers will start configuring things they don't (want them to) understand. They adviced me to do a modem setback to factory defaults. So I grabbed my good ol' paperclip and did a full reset on the modem. Now I have to wait and see if that solves the problem. My modem and router are connected by the (cat 5) cable that came with my WNDR3700, and it's about 1 meter long. Are you giving me the advice to get an other cable that's a bit longer ? @ June : I had swapped my router for my modem to gain direct access to it from my pc. I have wireless disabled when doing my tests. The two problems occured while being only connected wired.
WNDR3700 (v1) user.

Discussion Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors