Aspirant

WNDR3700 Wireless connection issues

Hello there, I just got my long anticipated WNDR3700 and spent a night trying to get it to work and another few hours with support on the phone. While the router works perfecetly wired, it does not seem to work wirelessly or rather works partially.

Updated to latest FW too... Support basically told me to take the unit back to the store which is practically impossbile for me as I live in Canada and a friend got it for me at Fry's in San Jose...

The problem is that the unit fails to assign IP addresses to wireless devices. I can percetly see all the wireless devices on the network by their MAC addresses but no IP is assigned. I get a "limited connectivitryu or no connectivity at all and I get a phony IP address sometimes.

And yes, I have tried with or without wireless security, cxhanging anything that can be changed in the basic wireless settings. I didn't touch the advanced settings, nor I did assign custom IP's to specific MAC addresses. Also tried to assign an IP manually to a wireless client with no success in connecting with or without security keys.

I can see the broadcasted SSID's for both GHz and for 2.4GHz.

Any suggestions?
Luminary

Re: WNDR3700 Wireless connection issues

The problem is that the unit fails to assign IP addresses to wireless devices. I can percetly see all the wireless devices on the network by their MAC addresses but no IP is assigned. I get a "limited connectivitryu or no connectivity at all and I get a phony IP address sometimes.

if you do not use " address reservation" under LAN setup, it works fine?

you are assigning the IP within the DHCP range?

your explanation of "phony ip" is 169.x.x? it is not phony, it's call self assign IP and when device do not communicate properly with DHCP server, it will show 169.x.x.x
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thanks for replying so fast, you are correct, I get a 169.x.x.x address when I try connecting wireless,
It does not work at all whether I try address reservation or not when wireless (I get either one of those 169.x.x.x addresses or simply get an "unable to connect).
When wired, it works fine. In fact this is what I'm using now to write this reply.

When I tried assigning a manual IP it was within the DHCP range in indeed.

I have 4 wireless computers and a wireless camera a wireless printer plus two wired computers connected to it. The Dlink624 i am replacing works fine with all of them. However when I put on the WNDR3700 and look at the "attached devices " in the setup menu, I can see all MAC addresses corresponding to all those mentioned devices wired or not. The two wired computers get a (correct) IP. The printer, camera and the rest of the wireless computers do not get an IP but the MAC addressess listed are correct.
I also tried disabling all the firewall software I had although that worked fine with the old router.
Luminary

if you are saying that wether you simply router to release IP or use address reservation to push the IP, you can not connect any wifi device at all and get 169.x.x.

what is the wireless setting in the router you are using.

you have basic wireless connection issue before you can even try address reservations
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Correct. I get only 169.x.x.x on all wireless devices. with or without address reservation, with or without wireless security encryption.

For the DLINK which I'm now back to using I use simple wirless connection with 128bit WEP encryption and DHCP. All devices work fine.

There must be something wrong with the FW on my new Netgear. Is there a way I can downgrade to an earlier version or what else should I do. Returning the unit is really not an option although that is what netgear support adviced me to do. Not sure If I can get to down to Fry's anytime soon as I live in Canada. This thing was not cheap and right now I look at it as a half bricked thing worth 200 bucks. Not a good start with netgear that is for sure...
Luminary

WEP... hackable 100%

with new device use WPA or WPA2 only
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
WEP... hackable 100%

with new device use WPA or WPA2 only

I use wep because I was trying to make it work. I tried no security wahtsoever which is even more hackable and still didn't work. I doubt it will will work with any other security setting.
Luminary

are you using 2.4Ghz / 54MBps or 300Mbps

what is the wireless adapter model that is trying to connect
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Hey, you know what, your reply actually helped. As soon as I used higher encription, I was able to connnect most of my computers! Thabnks a lot for the tip as this saved me the cost of the router basically!!!. With that here is a list of issues that I've ran into with the V1.0.4.49NA firmware:

1. No device will connect wirelessly if no encription is set (dooh)
2. No device will connect when WEP is set and ASCII phrase is used. Only HEX accepts
3. The speed rate for 2.5GHz wirelss must be set down to 54Mbps in order for the SSID to be seen by certain wireless devices such as the AXis 207W camera.
4. Was able to connect most of my computers wirelssly but still working to get the Axis 207 camera connected.

At the beginning I could only see the guest network when enabled with the camera. I could see the camera MAC address but no connection was made. Then I had to downgrade the speed rate on the 2.5GhZ from 130Mbps to 54Mbps to at least see the both the guest and 2.4GHz SSIDs in the list. At this point the camera was getting a 169.x.x.x IP address but only when used the WPA2-PSK encription otherwise no IP was pulled. At this point I am stuck. that is the last device I have to connect. The camera works fine with old router and also works fine when is wired. Any suggestions?

I am thinking to use the old router, connect the camera wirelssly to it and then somehow use the Netgear as a repeater for it. Isd that even a possibility?I have both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz enabled but really not using the 5GHz portion. the 2.4Ghz is toned down to 54Mbps.

thanks again a lot for your help jmizoguchi!
Aspirant

Is there a way I can provide feedback to Netgear? Last time I talked to support they said they would deny my warranty because it is an US product and I am in Canada...
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors