Aspirant

WNDR4000 keeps losing connectivity

I have a WNDR3700 and WNDR4000. The latter I bought to get improved performance. But it keeps dropping the connection for a few seconds, and then reconnecting. It also drops the USB readyshare disk.

Is this a known issue?
Any solutions?

This router got Editor's Choice in PC Magazine, and so far it is awful. The WNDR3700 works flawlessly.
Apprentice

Re: WNDR4000 keeps losing connectivity

Please read the appropriate forum as part of finding an answer.

To Forum Moderator: Please move to WNDR4000 Forum
Luminary

you need to explain how these two are setups if you need some help
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Actually, to my knowledge, they are set up identically. I can swap them with no resets of anything. I am wondering if it has something to do with the USB support. I have turned it off for now.

And when I turned the router on initially, it got auto updated to 1.0.0.66.
Luminary

meaning you are ONLY using one router?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

One of the WNDRs at a time. I do have them hard-wired to a Linksys WRT610N that is used as a range extender, and yes, it is set up properly.

I can swap all the cables from one Netgear to the other without any changes, other then the WNDR4000 dropping the connections. I have not seen a drop this morning thus far, but I have turned off my USB disk.
Aspirant

And this is WIRED connectivity that drops. The wireless probably drops too, but I am not using it to connect any of my computers. Wireless is used for my TVs and Squeezeboxes.
Luminary

Linksys WRT610N is a router and not extender so you are using as an access point ? or repeating with 4000?

which one is the main router ? 4000 and linksys is behind the netgear router?

although this should not cause to drop the ready share USB unless device IP of linksys and netgear is conflicting .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

It is connected to one of the LAN outputs of the NetGear and DHCP and UPnP are turned off. It is on 192.168.1.2. So yes, it is an access point.

This is not a router misconfiguration issue. I know how to configure them.
Luminary

that is why I said likely it is not the two routes. just explanation was not clear with lingo used.

likely that readyshare goes away could be from the firmware related issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

So how do we get Netgear to support this properly?
I am running pingplotter now, so I will be able to check for disconnects over a long period.
Apprentice

jarome wrote:
And when I turned the router on initially, it got auto updated to 1.0.0.66.

This is one of many threads mentioning issues with .66 FW (see post #4 by marauder):
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=70076
As I advised before, search and read the forums to see if others have encountered a similar issue!!!
Aspirant

Well, it is not the USB. Traceroutes just started turning on and off in PingPlotter. For a minute at a time. But existing connections are happily transferring music and downloading a Cygwin update! This is bizarre!

Traceroutes turn off for a minute. Resume for 10-20 seconds, and then turn off for another minute, and so forth.

See http://http://jamesrome.net/images/WNDR4000.PNG
Aspirant

download and install the .60 firmware it should fix your disconnect problems, there is a new firmware supposedly in the works and due to come out but no idea when.
Aspirant

Netgear support told me to return it.

I guess I will not do the upgrade on the new one--if I can stop it. It is automatic.

And where do I get the old software?
Aspirant

jarome wrote:
Netgear support told me to return it.

I guess I will not do the upgrade on the new one--if I can stop it. It is automatic.

And where do I get the old software?

it shouldn't upgrade automatically, it automatically looks for it but if i remember correctly you have a choice as to whether to install it or not.
you can download the firmware here http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/18164 under the tab that says firmware. there is an option that you can uncheck that stops automatically searching for updates, i believe it's in the same section that you actually use to install firmware in the router setup.
Luminary

it shouldn't upgrade automatically, it automatically looks for it but if i remember correctly you have a choice as to whether to install it or not.

sure it is. router will never download firmware unless "Human" click on button to do so.. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

So, I returned it to Overstock.com, and they FedExed me a new one in 2 days with no charges on my end. Very nice of them. I have the new one plugged in and working on the .60 firmware.

It is still exhibiting the same behavior as before:
Traceroutes with pingplotter fail for a minute, resume for 5 seconds, and then fail again for a minute, and so on! Before, it worked for a few hours before doing this. I guess I will try the .82 upgrade.

How does one change the dynamic dns provider to www.dyndns.com instead of www.dyndns.org? There are no choices in the provider dropdown.

Grrrr.
Aspirant

1.0.0.82 does not help.
Traceroutes are still mostly failing for periodic minute intervals.
This is suspicious, and makes it seem that something is timing out.
Aspirant

Traceroutes are not a good way to test.

Many devies on the internet give tracerouts lower priority or will not respond to them depending on network load. This may result in some going through vs some time outs.

Do some ping -t to like www.google.com and let it run for an hour. See if that returns any time out, if not than connection stayed up

Or

If you want to test, go stream some videos or go download a large file that will take some time to download and see if the connection is stopped mid stream.
Aspirant

It is still doing this. It is not the routers along the path dropping the connection. It is the WNDR4000. The drop occurs at the first hop. As soon as I replace the 4000 by the 3700, the issues all go away. And this is with the latest firmware.
Aspirant

I've had the exact same issue. I can be on AOL (yes, AOL) and my connection drops and picks right back up again. It will drop for about 5 seconds and then comes right back. I also have noticed some fluctuations in the speed varying anywhere from 300 down to 11 and that is sitting in one spot about 30 feet from the router located behind a door.
I had been using the .77 software from one of Netgear's techs to correct for dropping of the GUEST networks but am now trying the .82 software without any improvement.....
Junk....
Aspirant

Well I have been tracerouting every 2.5 seconds to the Comcast dns server (75.75.75.75) for about 40 hours now and generally it has been working with the .73 firmware and putting in static DNS addresses. The only drops are probably due to Comcast.

I do suggest that you get PingPlotter (www.pingplotter.com) if you have Windows to really see where the problem is. It is free for 30 days.
Aspirant

jarome wrote:
Well I have been tracerouting every 2.5 seconds to the Comcast dns server (75.75.75.75) for about 40 hours now and generally it has been working with the .73 firmware and putting in static DNS addresses. The only drops are probably due to Comcast.

I do suggest that you get PingPlotter (www.pingplotter.com) if you have Windows to really see where the problem is. It is free for 30 days.

Well actually this comment is for the WNDR4500, which acts the same way as the WNDR4000. I think I figured out what the problem is. See http://jamesrome.net/drupal/node/10 for the explanation.
Discussion Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Top Contributors