× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4300V2 slow in bridge mode with VDSL?

bkeguy
Aspirant

WNDR4300V2 slow in bridge mode with VDSL?

I've had a number of WNDR type routers (3400, 3400V4 and now 4300V2) and have worked well with my Cable modem (30M Down/5M Up).

Recently I've switched to DSL and have upgrade connectivity to 50M Down/10M Up. When connected with both ISP provided Modem/router or a Smart RG 505 Modem/router I've been easily able to obtain these speeds with both WiFi and wired connections to the router.  All works normally as expected.

I want to use my Netgear routers as my DHCP/Gateway and have configured the modem in Bridge mode. I let the router handle the PPPoE login and things seem to work fine EXCEPT speed drops to max 27-28M Down/ 10M Up (both wired and wireless). I've been pulling my hair out over this. MTU is set correctly (checked with Ping and verified with ISP). NAT/Firewall turned off on bridge. I've even tried both modems with almost exactly the same results.

Thinking it was a problem between the modem and router negotiating bridge setup I've set the modem up as the gateway and setup a DMZ host to point to the Netgear router (and my LAN behind it). Router is still DHCP server for my LAN and the router has a static "WAN" address on the same subnet as the LAN on the modem. Everything works great and I can login and verify both pieces of hardware. No double NAT issues and UPnP works fine. AGAIN the speed drops to 27-29Mbps. Too slow.

I have also taken an old TPLink router and replaced my Netgear router as the Gateway/DHCP server/router and speeds are back up to 50M Down/ 10M Up in both bridge mode and as the DMZ target. So this really seems to point to the Netgear modem as the bottle neck.

Any advice? I searched a bit and found a few similar posts but no resolution. Most suggestions were wrt MTU (which I've played with and verified with the other modem/router) or using it as a DMZ target which doesn't seem to increase my speed.

Am I hitting the limit of the WNDR4300? It is a relatively recent router (only a couple of years old) so I expect it could handle 50Mbps??

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: WNDR4300V2 slow in bridge mode with VDSL?

the 30-30-30 reset

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

@bkeguy wrote:

I've had a number of WNDR type routers (3400, 3400V4 and now 4300V2) and have worked well with my Cable modem (30M Down/5M Up).

Recently I've switched to DSL and have upgrade connectivity to 50M Down/10M Up. When connected with both ISP provided Modem/router or a Smart RG 505 Modem/router I've been easily able to obtain these speeds with both WiFi and wired connections to the router.  All works normally as expected.

I want to use my Netgear routers as my DHCP/Gateway and have configured the modem in Bridge mode. I let the router handle the PPPoE login and things seem to work fine EXCEPT speed drops to max 27-28M Down/ 10M Up (both wired and wireless). I've been pulling my hair out over this. MTU is set correctly (checked with Ping and verified with ISP). NAT/Firewall turned off on bridge. I've even tried both modems with almost exactly the same results.

Thinking it was a problem between the modem and router negotiating bridge setup I've set the modem up as the gateway and setup a DMZ host to point to the Netgear router (and my LAN behind it). Router is still DHCP server for my LAN and the router has a static "WAN" address on the same subnet as the LAN on the modem. Everything works great and I can login and verify both pieces of hardware. No double NAT issues and UPnP works fine. AGAIN the speed drops to 27-29Mbps. Too slow.

I have also taken an old TPLink router and replaced my Netgear router as the Gateway/DHCP server/router and speeds are back up to 50M Down/ 10M Up in both bridge mode and as the DMZ target. So this really seems to point to the Netgear modem as the bottle neck.

Any advice? I searched a bit and found a few similar posts but no resolution. Most suggestions were wrt MTU (which I've played with and verified with the other modem/router) or using it as a DMZ target which doesn't seem to increase my speed.

Am I hitting the limit of the WNDR4300? It is a relatively recent router (only a couple of years old) so I expect it could handle 50Mbps??

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes i should be able to pass the 50mb without a problem on its 1gb ports one question has this been used with another network setup you may have to reset the router so it can learn about the new imodem and internet set up.

I guess that you have the users manual if not here is a link for it http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300v2/WNDR4300v2_UM_23dec2014.pdf

Message 2 of 7
bkeguy
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.

I had tried a full reset at one point but I'll try again now that I have a few bugs worked out.

Are you referring to just a factory erase/reset via the GUI or a 30-30-30 type reset?

Message 3 of 7
William10a
Master

the 30-30-30 reset

Message 4 of 7
bkeguy
Aspirant

Hi William10a

Well, I'm am very embarssed to say the 30-30-30 reset seemed to have flushed the settings and solved the issue.

Now I get my full DSL speed on my main router which is inside the modems DMZ zone. Works great.

I'm a little confused why the modem carried the cable modem settings over to the PPPoE in the original setup but I'm sure if I go back to bridge mode it will be fine as well.

For now. All is good. Thanks for the (obvious) suggestion which solved my issue.

Unfortunately I have to re enter my IP tables and all other user settings (if I can remember them).

(As an asside, is there an easy way to extract the routing table from the modem? I've telneted to my router and looked around but have been unable to find where BusyBox holds the routing table or how I can add it to the NVRAM?)

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
William10a
Master

the old setting you had in the router are gone the 30-30-30 reset clears every thing

It may be in the config of the router part of he modem/router from your isp if you do a search on the make and model of modem/router should find a users manual on it.

Message 6 of 7
bkeguy
Aspirant

Hi again. I understand what the 30-30-30 reset accomplishes and it did seem to put everything back into learning mode to adapt to the new network.

What I want to do is to manually copy the equivalent of the fstab table (or whatever you need for up assignment) from my netgear router and keep a copy so that any future resets aren't as painful to set up.

Thanks again.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7