Guide

WNDR4700 / NetGear Genie - New Inst

I have upgraded my home network to the WNDR4700, and I'm still a little gray in a couple of areas -

1) I believe the SATA enclosure is a great thing. What I don't know is:
1a) Has a MTBF (mean-time-between-failures) analysis been conducted to determine the effectivness of the cooling for an installed device?
1b) I didn't see SSD drives listed (though that may be a user-malfunction) for supported devices. Has anyone tried using an SSD with the WNDR4700 SATA installation?
1c) My primary focus for backup is well supported by Acronis currently. However, having a SATA drive installed would broaden my home network backup capability. This is providing that a SATA installed drive is addressable the same as an external USB connected drive (allowing read/write if any data, not just backup data). Is it?

2) The second part of my inquiry is the NetGear Genie product (v2.2.26.50). While it has a great GUI for us poorly humans, and it offers a clear and concise connection to the WNDR4700, there remain a couple of unknowns for me:
2a) I have the WNDR4700 configured to support: i) 5.0GHz (pri); ii) 2.4GHz (sec); iii) Guest Network (2.4GHz). While the Guest network is not an issue; what I'm having difficulty with is obtaining configuration for my 5.0GHz configuration via NetGear Genie. What shows is the (SSID changed from original setting to: (2.4GHz) and -5G (5.0GHz)) SSID 2.4GHz configuration settings. Not much of that either. How would I access the 5.0GHz configuration data from NetGear Genie?
2b) I had to install some advanced configuration changes to the WNDR4700 (e.g. QoS changes and a couple of others also) in order to provide maximum throughput for my Company's CISCO router (plugged into a wired connection). However, NetGear Genie does not seem to have an "advanced" mode access. This appears to be only from a browser connection (192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net). Are there plans to update the NetGear Genie to permit access to the Advanced (or all) Features provided in the router?

Thank you for clarifying this information.

It is appreciated.
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4700 / NetGear Genie - New Inst

Great to see customers already purchasing these, hope you enjoy it!! Before I reply to some of your questions, I have one for you! Smiley Happy How easy was it for you to connect the internal HDD? I ask because this was one thing that gave many users hassle during the beta, and we as testers were not able to see/use NETGEAR's final solution on this. Just wondered if it was easy to connect/insert, and did it work on the first try for you? Did you notice a metal spring/bar inside near the HDD connections? OK, onto some of your questions! Smiley Happy 1a. I am not sure what studies have been done in that regard, but it shouldn't be too big of a concern as the fan will ramp up as heat increases. If you want, I can PM you a link to the fan control page of the router, in case you think you want to increase the fan speed above auto, let me know! 1b. I tested several SSD's with the router, and did not have a problem with any that I tested! I think any SSD should work, but I guess there could be some conflict with a SSD firmware possibly? But again, no problems here with several sizes and brands, so if you intend to use one I'm confident it will work fine for you! 1c. You may read/write any data you want to the internal HDD/SDD! That can be done with programs, manually via network shares, ect 2a. I believe they may be still working on 5GHz Genie setting availability. For now the quickest solution to change those settings would be in the web GUI. 2b. You will need to inquire with NETGEAR directly about future Genie features, as I believe this is a end user to user forum only (So no actual employees) Hope some of that helps, I'm sure others will chime in to help as well!
Aspirant

Not sure if netgear did any longevity testing (though with the hardware in it, I don't thing they were working on it long enough to meet the average lifespan of a hard drive. I feel that the most they can do other than keeping the temperatures under control (which the fan does pretty well), is add a idle spindown on the hard drive. This will save power and extend the life of the hard drive.
Guide

In response:
Connecton Ease: It would be easier to have a small LED in the back of the device that would permit visibility into the slot for the SATA drive. That way, fumbling around for a flashlight to make sure the disk is oriented properly wouldn't be necessary. Once known, it was snug/firm but easy. Perhaps more "tactile or auditory feedback" at time of insertion is needed so over stressing the connection/slot doesn't occur.

[The SSD question was for academic curiosity only at this time. Right now, capacities are not what is needed for the purpose of the network based drive - at least in my environment...]

First time: It powered up and appeared to work w/o issue; though I removed it almost immediately in favor of my previous USB connection until I could get my questions answerd. Now that I know the internal drive can be accessed like the USB connection, I'll re-insert it; setup my drive URL, and go from there. The drive also doubles as a home entertainment repository.

Metal Spring/Board: It was present and visible when I used my flash light to confirm orientation of the drive.

A link to the fan control would be great! The environment where installed tends toward the higher temp end, and having greater volume of air flow will assist in disipating the heat. I generally have three wired and eight wireless connections active at any one time; and they may be doing any number of things. The highest volume of traffic is from my CISCO router (wired); and it has the highest priority in the QoS settings.

Thank You! I really appreciate your quick response; and yes, I'm excited about the new router.

Remote connections are stronger and more capable than with the WNDR4500 (now relegated to a backup role).

I just WISH my location was more "wired". Right now my ISP connection is a 5.0GHz radio on top of a 65' pole; and the maximum dn/up speed is no where near the capability of the router. Smiley Sad Oh, well - there are other perks in living in a rural home...

Again, Thank You for your time! I really appreciate it!
Aspirant

Thanks for the info on the disk slot, it sounds like they have made some improvements as the mentioned (Wish I could see inside your internals haha)! I guess for us beta testers to be really certain on what's changed we'll have to wait until we hear from one of us that has purchased a retail unit. It's great to hear they were able to correct the issues with HDD connecting though, it's very finicky in our beta units!

Yes, you should really take advantage of the internal slot with a HDD or SSD, especially since it's there and functions as easily as it does!

I'll PM you the link to the fan control page, I'd post here but I'm not sure they want that floating around so openly. Since they've left it accessible I'm sure they don't mind users having access, but since it's hidden still I don't want to post it openly as I'm sure it could cause issues if disabled.

Be aware though, it will get louder if you increase the fan speed! That was one of the major issues many had during testing, it was loud before they added the fan control, and even at minimum was still loud for many users. Since you mention it's hot there, and want some control, I'm sure you already expected this anyway but just wanted to give you a heads up.

Hopefully a fellow beta tester who's purchased a retail unit will joins us here sometime soon, so we can find out if they changed the fan at all, and how they changed the HDD connection as well.

Great to hear you are enjoying the router so far! It's always nice to hear from other users after participating in a beta and helping improve a product.

Also I'm glad I could help you with some of your questions, and thanks again for the info on your HDD connection! If you have anymore issues let us know and we'll try to help!

PM coming your way now on that fan control!
Guide

Any time! And a greatful Thank You!

The styling, the power, the capability and the ease of install demonstrate that NetGear remains one of the leading producers of this type world wide, and it is through their tester programs - then actually listening to what is said - that demonstrates what was said.

You and your colleague's efforts are certainly appreciated by us retail customers. Thank you!
Aspirant

Thank you for your awesomely kind words, feedback like that makes all the testing worthwhile!!

For this router, OMG!, we tested SO MANY things for months, MUCH longer than any other beta ever! We even set many internal records for feedback submitted, discussions, ect. due to how long we were testing everything.

Did you know you can join the beta testing as well? If you have some free time to spare to dedicate to testing, and would be willing to test beta products, you should jump on board! If you want a link to join let me know!

It's a selection process for each test, you have to apply to each offered beta and then wait to see if you fit what they need. But they do offer a lot of beta's usually, so your chances are often good that you'll get selected for something from time to time!
Guide

Kind words - no; accurate and well deserved - YES!

While being part of the Beta Testing effort would be OUTSTANDING; I'm going to have to pass right now.

There may be time, however, the risk of work-interruption is to high. As a work-from-home type person, I can't afford (especially in today's world) to have interruptions beyond my normal ISP type (about once every 60days).

Also, while it would be great, I'm not sure my activity mix would test the device as it should be. I use it primarily for company router connection, QoS priority changes, and home support/home device backup/home entertainment (no DLNA).

The one area I could probably contrubute is a harsher environment than ideal. My office gets hot as well as a number of other factors.

Again, your help, your devotion to the testing effort, and your excellent support is really appreciated.
Aspirant

In response to your "advanced mode" - officially, anything "advanced" would be in the Web GUI under the "Advanced" settings tab. That said, unofficially there is a utility out there you can run in Windows with some information from your router (IP address and MAC address) that will enable Telnet access. Then you can use a telnet client to connect to your router and access it in a linux-like environment (BusyBox if you're familiar with it).

This is unsupported, and for all I know may void your warranty so you may want to check before doing this. I can tell you I've used it to modify my Samba (Windows File) shares and some DHCP settings with options not available in the Web GUI; it works nicely.
Aspirant

jmlow54 wrote:
Kind words - no; accurate and well deserved - YES!

While being part of the Beta Testing effort would be OUTSTANDING; I'm going to have to pass right now.

There may be time, however, the risk of work-interruption is to high. As a work-from-home type person, I can't afford (especially in today's world) to have interruptions beyond my normal ISP type (about once every 60days).

Also, while it would be great, I'm not sure my activity mix would test the device as it should be. I use it primarily for company router connection, QoS priority changes, and home support/home device backup/home entertainment (no DLNA).

The one area I could probably contrubute is a harsher environment than ideal. My office gets hot as well as a number of other factors.

Again, your help, your devotion to the testing effort, and your excellent support is really appreciated.

I fully understand what you mean! You could join, and sign up only when it looks like something you could test, or whenever you think you might have time. It's not something you have to do each time a beta is offered, and you can be a member and not test anything for years, they wont boot you.

Downtime wouldn't really be an issue, only when you planned it for testing, like having to upgrade firmware or test something specifically offline, ect. I mean, during a test you would not be disconnected for any extended period unless you wanted to be, the hardware always works and we just look for bugs using all scenarios we can possibly think of, try to replicate issues others find, ect. No downtime like it sounds you may be expecting.

And actually, your environment may even be a desired situation they need more of for testing, so don't think that would limit you as I'm sure they need testers like that in order to cover all possible hardware environments!

And again, I do understand what you mean with your situation and work, just wanted to let you know it's not as bad as you might be thinking Smiley Happy Plus you would be able to play with the latest and greatest, and be in touch with many networking professionals as well.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push you into testing or anything like that Smiley Very Happy, just wanted to let you know it was out there and easily accessible in case you were unaware of how to join in the fun Smiley Happy
Aspirant

Just installed WNDR4720 and all is working so far. I have my "cloud" set up but wish there was a way to stream a video or open a homemade web page that is stored there. So far, it looks like I can only dowload stuff.
Guide

Aurora420: I've reconsidered. Here is why - - -

I have my 4700 installed in a rural environment. As a whole new market opens up for ISP providers, using advanced radio access, many are utilizing what is called "junk bands" that anyone can use. In the case of the 4700 and other routers, this translates to the 5.0GHz frequency. Well, that is also the frequency used by my ISP when establishing the connection with my home (I have a 65' tower out back with the antenna/radio mounted there.)

As I learned, to my sorrow Saturady, the 4700 also transmitts at a frequency near to the frequency used by the ISP radio (I don't know exact frequency). However, the default channel of 153 appears to be to close to it and according to my ISP it is 5.765GHz.

If I'm on the beta testing, this may offer them the ability to test their performance within the "junk frequency" ranges; perhaps playing with the phase or using different actual frequencies. Either way, it would be a win-win for both the company and the rural community without impacting their primary base of customers (metro/small city coverage).

Please PM me with the information, so I may then be on the list of potential testers.

Thanks.
Aspirant

NYCPaull - What are you wanting to stream video to? You should be able to do that on a TV or tablet, or other PC's using DLNA access through a media player

jmlow54 - PM sent! And yes, that would be a good/interesting reason to help out with the beta testing! You can change the channels the 5Ghz uses in the router genie GUI, for now that will probably help with your ISP conflict. Hopefully anyway!

Here's where you do that

http://i.imgur.com/hOlKc.png

Also, with this app, you should be able to see what channel each item around you is using, within each band 2.4/5Ghz, this should be able to help you pick a better/more compatible channel to use in the router so it doesn't cause issues with your ISP signal
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Guide

Outstanding! I didn't know such an ap existed.

As to the streaming of video; right now it is to my wife's lap top. It is connected using the NetGear WNDA3100v2 which uses both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. Currently, the 2.4GHz and my prior router was insufficient to provide clear, uninterrputed playback. It was a bit choppy; though not unwatchable.

However, that has improved somewhat from the new 4700, and it works great with the 5.0GHz. Problem is, that it was also interfering with my ISP radio. (The PC I'm using now is a wired connection.)

After talking with the ISP, I found the channel changer. We are experiminting with the new channel, though I must wait to find out how well or bad it'll interfere with the ISP radio. Testing is more time-consuming as it doesn't offer up the optimum in just an hour or two.

I've also adjusted the power output from 100% to 75% to help minimize the impact to the ISP radio. We'll see how the combination works out.

However, you mentioned something about DLNA. That is something I've never explored in any form. Is DLNA configured at the playback device (BluRay player, TV, LapTop, mobile device?) What advantages does it offer? Is a special server needed for the DLNA to be configured and operational? To many questions; without sufficient time to get them all answered.

Great idea though; just not sufficiently knowledgable to make use of it yet...

As to the frequency reader, that sounds like a great tool to have for my toolbox; plus it'll help me to better communicate with my ISP. Thank you!

As always, it is certainly a pleasure in talking with you. Have a great day!
Aspirant

DLNA for the most part is just a streaming standard that multiple companies can agree upon. netgear uses minidlna to serve content over the network, here is more info on it http://minidlna.sourceforge.net/ Also can you clarify what you mean by ISP radio, most wireless standards for wifi are either the various GSM bands for wireless or CDMA which do not use any of the frequencies from wifi. If you are talking about the ISP's router, then disable the wifi on what ever router the ISP gives you, their router will not be anywhere close to as good as the 4700 in terms of wifi performance and keeping the wifi radio on from router that the ISP gives you will only add more interference which will reduce the wifi performance that the 4700 can give you. also if possible, set up shared folders on 1 wired and 1 wireless computer then bring the wireless computer to the location you want to use it, then copy some files to and from the wireless client. (after a certain distance, the performance of the 5GHz network drops below that of the 2.4GHz network and the best way to see which is best at the range that you are in, is to benchmark the wifi. If 1 wifi router can meet your needs then disable the other wifi radios in the home, this will allow the 4700 effectively use use multiple streams (40MHz wide channel) and offer a consistent 120-150mbit/s for 2.4GHz and nearly 180mbit/s on 5GHz.
Guide

All excellent suggestions. Here is a little clarity - to the extent of my knowledge as communited to me by my ISP. As to GSM/CDMA; I'm not really a radio-jock and have no directly knowledge of those governing bodies.

Specific frequencies are permitted and are considered as free-based access. Those frequencies have no proprietary lock that prevents a multitude of different companies from using them - including any/all home wireless routers. These bands are called "junk bands" by those that assign frequencies.

Next up is the commercial bands; of which most have a proprietary lock on them either by City, County, State, Federal or Private Enterprise. Those have 1000's of dollars in either access fees, or if a band or set of frequencies are "purchased" then they can be worth millions.

Radios that make use of "junk bands" tend to be cheaper to create, cheaper to deploy, and cheaper to use than the upper (or proprietary locked bands). This is why many companies (such as NetGear) use and deploy their products within this narrow band of frequencies. They can do a lot within those bands, but are limited to those frequencies and must deploy their products within that scope.

Now to my ISP radio connection. Their customers use a line-of-site microwave in the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz frequency bands. The lower cost equipment is the 2.4GHz frequency, while the higher/longer distance radios tend to be the 5.0GHz (at the customer level).

At the concentration point, and in particular the back haul to a major traffic connect point for internet/VoIP/Data, my ISP relies on full-duplex leased frequencies to minimize or eliminate interference from others doing essentially the same thing. By contrast, their customers are assigned half-duplex, 2.4GHz/5.0GHz radios for connectivity to my ISP.

Limitations within our configuration is evident; No on-line gaming usually takes place due to the latency and lower speed of this type of connection; minimal VoIP connections, though only about 400-500Kbps is needed for this; the half-duplex tends to make for a lot longer talking; high-speed video streaming is also very limited, as the data volume is high and consumes a lot of band width on the ISP network. Where a large commercial provider (AT&T, Verizon, Cable 1, etc) can offer speeds up to 50MB/s; the rural connections without the fiber and in some cases just phone-type wiring, are only allowed much slower speeds. In my area, before this ISP came along, my best hope for internet connections was ISDN- and I had the full-duplex installation, and it run me more than $70/mo and still only offered a max of 512Kbps (more than 9 years ago now). AND, a wired interent connection to an ISP is STILL limited to ISDN 512Kbps... (believe me, I've tried to upgrade using other larger commercial communication firms - no such luck).

Use of leased/owned frequencies outside of the 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz settings would be cost prohibitive to the customer, so a whole industry has sprung up around the use of these "junk" frequncies. Additionally, the equipment/antenna and other home-local equipment would be cost prohibitive as well. While my cost per month for internet service his highly likely to be double or nearly tripple of your own, it still remains affordable for me at this time; especially since I work from home and my company pays for it.

In my case, my ISP has acquired the needed equipment (at a much higher cost than commercial radios) and contracted with a provider for the service. The provider in turn leases a specific range of frequencies from their owner, and sub-leases a specific frequency to specific major users of their service. Others of course, purchase outright a specific frequency or range of frequencies at a very high one-time lease fee. Most fees (or leases) are set from 1 to 5 year leases, so that any particular frequency may be returned to the pool of the owner's assigned frequency when the need arises.

In any case, my ISP is one of the best providers in this niche that I've ever seen. They are innovative, customer centric, and highly supportive of their customer base (about 500-700 folks now). They have the best level of connectivity of their competition - hands down. They offer tiered service levels; the others don't. They offer longer range than their competitors at higher speeds then any competitor in this area. Others are limited to 1.5Mbps max; while my provider offers 6Mbps Dn/1.5Mbps up. (sure don't seem like much, huh?) That is why this router is so important.

It allows me to have a home entertainment distribution of movies which allow my simi-bedridden wife to enjoy, at the best possible reception, while also allow her access to the internet with minimal interference to my daily work.

As to the speed test, it works fairly well. I've done as requested in the past, with both the 4500 and the 4700. The 2.4GHz has about 50% throughput of the 5.0GHz setting (wireless-to-wired; wired-to-wireless). However, the 5.0GHz has better penetration power than the 2.4GHz (at least in my environment). There are a number of walls and other impedements which degrade the signal from the router to the remote device. The 4700's greater power is surprisingly a much better provider of connectivity to my entire home than the 4500.

This has been long; and I hope not totally borring... But I really don't have a working knowledge of frequencies, what all the tech-terms mean and how it is architected. For me, it does the job, is magic, and I'm glad to be able to have what I have (otherwise I'd have to travel 71m one way every day to work.) This environment simply makes the 4700 a center piece in my home networking needs; where other/cheaper routers may work for those in town, this one helps me.
Aspirant

Glad I could help you find that app jmlow54, I think it's pretty cool as well!

You do know you do not have to use both bands on both routers right? Just checking to be sure you knew that, you can disable one or the other on either router if that will help.

Razor512 has explained DLNA for you nicely, thanks bud! If you still have any questions about it let me know and I'll try to help! It doesn't need any configuration really, you just use it via certain programs like access it from a DVR or via media player, ect

I was also a little unsure what you meant about the ISP 5Ghz, but I kind of thought maybe it was some new wireless like 3G/4G, so I carried on and didn't think as much about it as I maybe should have. So, as Razor512 asks, can you please explain in more detail what this is exactly.

Is it like I assumed you meant, something similar to wireless 3G/4G over the air? If so, then you'll need to carry on with your testing until you find something that doesn't conflict with the 5G in the NETGEAR router, or maybe only use 5G when it's really necessary, like when playing a HD movie over the network or something like that.

What did you adjust power output on, the ISP radio? Just curious, because I see some firmware for routers allow this (DD-WRT), but wasn't sure if that was even possible with the NETGEAR firmware.

Razor512, is that possible via telnet editing? Do you think DD-WRT will ever be compatible with this model? I think some of the testers over there have a sample already, but not sure if they've made any progress yet because I've new to even looking at their forum so not sure where to find definite answers for such a new device.
Aspirant

Wow, nice explanation, thanks! Sorry, my reply above was written while you were writing out your last reply I guess, so I missed it!

Have you considered satellite internet? That's what I use and have been using for the last 6+ years, just recently all three major sat companies have released 10Mbps or above) plans. We're sticking with our older 3Mbps instead of upgrading the new plans, due to the new plans all having poor monthly limits with all companies except one (That isn't the one we have contract with). The plan we have now has a daily limit, and has free time at night that doesn't count, so it's much better than a monthly straight cap w/ no free period even though it might be slower.

Just mentioned all that in case it could be a possible solution for you that you hadn't considered yet. I know how it is to live out in the boonies, it can have it's bonuses but internet is certainly not one of those!
Aspirant

Hmm, just finished reading all of your post... Now you have me curious about your internet! How much do you pay monthly, and is there a limit to what you can do data-wise aside from the speed limitations themselves?

I'm curious if anything that like is in our area now, especially if it isn't metered and is cheap/reliable!
Guide

Several areas that were brought up in the post was at the decision making point for me several years ago. I have also tried to keep informed regarding those technologies. Here is what I've found out:

My company uses an established package when assigning a work-from-home associate the needed hardware to permit this approach. At the heart of it is a CISCO 800 Series router. This router is pre-programmed by my company. It really doesn't permit any "home" type devices to attach (except via port 4 of the wired connection); and any/all home type devices must comply with the companies restrictions on connectivity.

The CISCO however, is very intellegent. When wired to a home router, it recognizes this type of connection. Should it be wired to my ISP device, it would know the difference and self-configure accordingly.

The next piece is that the CISCO, as mentioned, is pre-programmed. It establishes a proprietary VPN tunnel to my companies network infrastructure (out-of-the-box Windows 7 VPN simply wouldn't work - nor would any other VPN solution on the market or even provided by another company).

Now; the use of Sat type connectivity. The VPN traffic from the router to my company is dependent on land based communications. Why is only known at the most simple level. What I've been told is that the latency in the Sat signal will destroy any of the ack/nak packets used by the VPN router to remain connected due to the latency of the connection (it is after all 23K miles up there...) Not only is the distance a factor, but all equipment inbetween adds their lantency to the connection. Heck, I don't know if the VPN requirements are even possible to be configured for a Sat type connection, though those that provide this service have told me that, no there is no current commercial configuration/capability that is available.

While the Sat communication would be great on a standard home installation, there remains the limitation (as I understand it in theory of course; w/o practical use of the technology) that it clearly delineated between the two forms - transmit / receive. Down loads are great because once it starts and the connection is locked in, then the speed of the down load is impressive. The reverse is true for the uploads; once the signal is locked in, and the upload begins, then the speed is also impressive. The draw back is that true full-duplex is not pratical while either of the two types of data movement is occuring. While a certain amount of multiplexing does occur; it is notably best to let a large download finish before attempting to use the upload capablity from another device in the home or even the same device. (oh, quick requests for web pages while a large download is going on is possible; but noticably slower). This is the inherent problems with using my companies connectivity across a sat based carrier.

As to the other, I am embarrassed to say: $81.44/mo. This price affords me the following: their current top tier commecial service at 6.0/Mbps download; 1.5Mbps. There are two other tiers below this, starting at 1Mbps/dn and .25Mbps/up being at the lowest level. My actual yield though is slightly lower than that due to the latency of equipment. Usually comes in at about 5.75Mbps/dn and 1.4Mbps/up (as defined by SpeedTest.net).

They do offer business rates, though the equipment is the same and the speed is the same. The higer cost provides a 1st responder should fail events occur. A response specific to ensure that businesses are the first returned to service.

If you link to the following, it'll provide the needed info about the company, and their coverage area:

http://www.zuluinternet.com/

Now then, as to reliability. I've had excellent service from them, 98% of the time. Given it is a 24x7 connection, that's not bad. The problems come in, usually from outside sources: other wireless services overriding the signal, construction in the path of the signal, etc. This is why I have a 65' tower out back; instead of the standard 50' pole. I know at some point, I'll probably have to go higher due to various obstructions. This is a cost borne by me, not them (one-time of course).

Yet, the two other services in my area offer no where near the level of capability provided by Zulu; they are slow, more prone to failures, and far less responsive to the customer needs.

The other hazzard is lightening. I've now been struck twice over the past 9yr. The first time it took out a lot of electronc equipment (my base PC, router, other wired PCs and a couple of other plugged in home stuff.) This is why wireless is important to me. I don't believe that a strike can jump through the wireless connection yet... Smiley Happy - - - Oh, if you're wondering how I deal with continuing to work during a storm, my companies PC can be connected to my home wireless connection via their proprietary CISCO client. This allows me to continue to work, even though every wired device is removed from my router. It's just better connectivity with a wired connection for my CISCO/PC/Bus Phone.

As to limitations, my provider has no preset limits on the amount of data consumed by my household. If it is 2GB or 2TB; makes no difference. Only my time availablity (although I suspect that this is not the case for 100% of their customers since I provide him a "test-bed" and have been with them since the company was formed.)

I hope this clarifies things.
Aspirant

Wow, that's a wealth of information, sounds like you are far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to wireless and networking! Haha, so you should be helping me! Smiley Happy Thanks for the info on your ISP. How would I find similar for my area, I mean what search terms would I use to start looking? I like the sound of no limitations on data downloads, and speeds seem similar to what we get now. We currently pay $49 a month for about 3Mbps down (2.5 usually), but we just recently moved down to that from the $79 plan. Although, I'm not sure if the requirement/desire for a high pole would be cost effective for us, since we don't currently have anything like that in the yard. It would be great to be able to look at non-satellite options again though, I miss the city!
Guide

Well, not sure how to find one in your area, though there are several around the country. I'd look for "wireless internet" (maybe even Rhino Communications - another in my area that is a larger firm than Zulu).

As to the tower out back, it is 65' including stinger (it's a tripod tower). It is also at the very limit of height as it pertains to requiring guy-wires. When I go taller, I'll have to move the tower to another location; and include some form of guy wires to make sure it doesn't fall down; go boom... Right now it is anchored t my chimney and a huge block of cement (about 35 80# bags of it).

As to missing the city; me too sometimes... Yet, the rural area benifits us more than the city would... We enjoy the solitude and the freedom; plus it was great for raising our son (now in the Navy).

Oh, one other thing, you might contact Zulu (email link on their page) and they might know of a provider in your area. I'll give John a heads up if you want to try that.

Basically, I knew the original owner of the service (back before it took the name of Zulu); and was one of the first 20 customers. They have grown since then, and I was very PLEASENTLY surprised when the currernt owners came in an took over. They upgraded their equipment, leased a backhaul frequency, increased their own band width to accommodate the new customers being added almost daily; and yet have still provided A-1 Customer service.

Needless to say, for an enterprising young man, with capital available, in an area not yet providing high-speed internet service to the rural areas, this might be a business opportunity. I'm not advocating this at all; as it requires knowldege and skill well outside my comfort zone and I certainly don't know the various areas well enough to even know if it would be profitable. Yet, if there is anyone that could answer these questions; it would be the primary at Zulu Internet, Inc.
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find and if I don't have any luck I'll let you know before I contact Zulu. Do most similar companies normally provide an adequate pole included in hardware installation costs? We're used to paying, new sat equipment/install is usually $150-250 or more, so that's expected. I agree, living in the country is VERY nice, and internet is about the only vice that is getting worse as time goes on. At least now with current tech changes it's at least survivable! I'm so glad dial-up days are in the past! Smiley Happy
Guide

One last thing. An individual (or company) may erest a tower antenna up to 199' 11" and stay below the federally regulated air space. Meaning that flashing lights and other stuff may not be required. This is not gospel; since I'm not in the business, and the numbers may be off. Yet, Zulu would know; since they have a number of locations around to support their business, and a primary concentrator point to consolidate the traffic...
Guide

Any good firm will either have their own installers or contractors. Either way, they will have a price availability for how and where the installation takes place. It may be that your service level above sea level may be sufficient to "look-down" on the connect point you'd use (low probability; though possible as some customers around here are that lucky). Remember, it is line-of-site; so the tower you'd be connected to may be in a valley up to 8-10m away (I think; since it depends on the conditions in the area).

Yet, with an up-time of 100% (when outside forces don't impat it as mentioned earlier); regardless of weather, not a bad trade off. Me, I have to watch out for storms and the like... Smiley Sad

Oh, and I do know one of my neighbors moved from sat to this service because of the level of Customer care and that it was of similar cost for better throughput. Of course, Zulu doesn't spend much in the way of advertising; it is mostly via word-of-mouth.
Discussion Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors