Aspirant

WNR3500 Firmware Recovery

I have a not-so-old WNR3500 v1 router that just bricked during the latest firmware upgrade. I have tried all of the reset button and power on/off techniques mentioned in jmizoguchi's post here, and at the VPN Case Study site. TFTP32 did not appear to communicate with the router but did indicate that Block #0 was sending. It wasn't clear what to set the port number to, so I tried nothing and port 80...

Netgear support mentioned to use a firmware recovery utility on my CD, but there is no such tool available, only a firmware update checker utility.

Support also mentioned that the newer shipping versions of the WNR3500 have such a utility included on the setup CD, but there is no downloadable version available. They also suggested buying just a setup CD from a local retailer. The local retailers here in the USA would not sell just the CD out of a package.

Does anyone have the files for this firmware recovery utility so I might try to un-brick my 20-month-old router? I am not sure, but I think this is model-specific.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading... Dan
Luminary

Re: WNR3500 Firmware Recovery

if you can't do tftp then you have brick unit
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453( this also tftp method )

other last thing is go to myopenrouter.com and learn about jtag.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I could not get tftp to work, but Netgear Support (who referred this forum to me) has told me that the new WNR3500 CDs have a firmware recovery utility specific to the WNR3500. The problem is that my CD does not have this, and the forum rules say not to ask for product CDs...

I see everywhere that you don't need a CD for this router, when in my case I do!

Where can I find such a CD or CD image? I am desperate.

Thanks... Dan
Aspirant

I have gotten a "transfer complete" message with tftp, and executed it twice to be sure, but the router won't boot. I just get the flashing power LED.
Luminary

I would probably suggest that you need new router..

this is the last way
http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/thread/22807/WNR3500L-JTAG-connection/?highlight=jtag+
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thanks. This may be irrelevant, but so far, all of the recovery information has been for a WNR3500L router, not a WNR3500v1 like I have. The WNR3500L has a USB port for NAS, but mine doesn't.

I have had no luck with the non-invasive methods, but I'm thinking about cracking open my WNR3500v1 and trying to connect to it at the board level. I just don't want to spend any money on it if it is indeed "bricked"...

Thanks... Dan
Aspirant

I'll start at their fourms and then go from there...

My sob wnr3500 v1 did the same thing and they say its my fault their update cause my router to brick.

Have tried listed solutions. No joy.

No support and no help from netgear, so far..

Very irritated and likely 175.00 poorer.

If you are just a little smarter than me and have an idea let me know.
Aspirant

Well it cost me 100.00 to replace it!

I now know what they were talking about when they asked if I had a disc... the new 3500 has a application to recover firmware. They didn't listen and find out that the 3500 v1's disc has no such software!
Luminary

DanoNH wrote:
Thanks. This may be irrelevant, but so far, all of the recovery information has been for a WNR3500L router, not a WNR3500v1 like I have. The WNR3500L has a USB port for NAS, but mine doesn't.

I have had no luck with the non-invasive methods, but I'm thinking about cracking open my WNR3500v1 and trying to connect to it at the board level. I just don't want to spend any money on it if it is indeed "bricked"...

Thanks... Dan

try Jtag and see... never know might works out
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Great news!

I was finally able to get TFTP to connect to and PUT the router firmware. The router rebooted automatically, and all is well.

I realized that I (foolishly) was trying to TFTP to put the latest *.cfg file to the router. I never really thought about this because the firmware was always downloaded to the router directly, and all I had were the settings backup files on my hard drive.

Once I got a copy of a fairly recent firmware, I had success following these steps (modified slightly from http://vpncasestudy.com/recovery.html). NOTE this is using Windows 7:

NOTE: If you can't use the TFTP command, open the Programs and Features in the Control Panel, and in the left column, select Turn Windows features on/off. In the window that opens, scroll down to TFTP and place a check next to it, if it is not selected. When install is complete, return to the command window, and press the up arrow on your keyboard to automatically enter your previous TFTP command and hit Enter.

Hope this helps others,
    Dan

P.S. Sorry for any duplicate content...
Luminary

nice... good jobSmiley Very Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

To the OP. Here's a new firmware for the WNR3500 which was released at the beginning of this year: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR3500-V1.0.36_8.0.36NA.chk
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
nice... good jobSmiley Very Happy

Thanks, I am psyched now!
Aspirant

Keitosha wrote:
To the OP. Here's a new firmware for the WNR3500 which was released at the beginning of this year: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR3500-V1.0.36_8.0.36NA.chk

Oh boy... That's the version that "bricked" my router in the first place! :eek:
Luminary

DanoNH wrote:
Thanks, I am psyched now!

I'm going to make another doc with the way you did and post on my site sometime.. Smiley Wink
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to DanoNH. Your instructions worked perfectly when nothing else did. I was ready to head to my local MicroCenter to buy a new unit. Thank you so much for saving me the cash!
Aspirant

I just bricked my old WNR3500L using the upgrade procedure. It appears that something is wrong with the upgrade vs router. I just purchased the 2 new routers just to try to see if I was doing something wrong. I was able to upgrade the newer router with out any problem. A friend aof mine tried to upgrade his old NG using ehe same process and it failded also. Now I'm down a router because of a faulty upgrade. I'm putting all upgrades on hold until a fix is found for this.

Also, The new router that i purchased yesterday did not have any firmware recovery tool on the disk. It seams that NG dont have one out.
Aspirant

My WNR 3500 is a brick now.

The firmware uodate from the router home page failed.

I tried to manually download the latest firmware and had to step through a "registration". I beleive this caused the problem with the automatic update from the router page to fail.

Have contacted Netgear but heard nothing yet and don't expect much satisfaction in any case.

Probably time to become a Cisco customer.
Luminary

I tried to manually download the latest firmware and had to step through a "registration"

you can by pass to download. make sure to click to continue without register..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

You cannot bypass the registration if you are doing the upgrade from the router www page.....which caused my problem.

I went to manually download the software to try the TFTP fix (I cannot get the router to connect now so I cannot TFTP either) when I saw the registration steps. I am sure this is what caused the firmware upgrade to fail on my router...it sat for over an hour stuck on "uploading firmware".
Luminary

if you got to product support page to manually download page, it just simply ask to register to remind and also option to skip. I downloaded fine other day.

once you get the firmware downloaded on your pc/mac then you should able to upgrade/upload via interface.

if you already brick the unit then tftp is most practically way to do it and if you can not get this to work, likely that would consider brick unit

go to myopenrouter.com and search jtag. you will find some info on how to. That is the last thing you can do save the router.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Thank you for your replies and help.

The router checked for firmware updates and found one. I said yes to update and then the unit would not complete the update. The firmware would not load.

Netgear needs to fix this.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you DanoNH! Well done. Now I have 2 working wnr3500's one v1 and one an L.

So just for kicks I had a dead spot in the basement "man cave" that had a cat 6 run from the new L... plugged the v1 in and now have wlan for the laptop!

The next question is I have internet but a 10.0.0.1 IP and no network resources. Can the v1 be set to connect to the L's resources w/o risk of opening to the www?

Again thanks DanoNH
Novice

!!! I fixed my wrn3500v1 firmware issue !!!

:eek::mad::confused:Smiley HappySmiley Very Happy
that was the order of my emotions.

after reading numerous how to's on unbricking my wrn3500 v1 router, i finally fixed it. it was actually quite simple on looking back at it.

It is quite annoying that netger does not have a straight forward download of the firmware recovery software needed to fix the issue.

i got into my predicament by unknowingly trying to update the firmware to the router while only wirelessly connected to the router. biiiig no-no. i tried tftp software, i tried turning on tftp in the windows programs, i tried the 30-30-30-10-10, i tried about everything and then went to bed and slept on it.

woke up the next morning with an idea... the day before i had downloaded the firmware recovery for wnr3500v2, and thought not to use it for fear i would make matters go from bad to worse, being that i had wnr3500v1 router. but i thought what if i change all the .chk files in the firmware recovery package from wnr3500v2 to wnr3500 v1. and it worked!!!

what you need:
iso software to ectract files from iso. you can get this free google it!
firmware download from netgear site (link provided below)
recovery utility (link provided below)

1st - download the wnr3500v2 software here
http://adf.ly/locked/768639/content.wuala.com/contents/RealHacker.NET/01.Drivers/WNR3500v2.iso?key=m...
it will do a countdown and then you can ckick the button in the upper right of the screen "skip ad". not sure what any of it was all about but it will then let you download the file.

if for some reason the link is no longer providing the file i will figure out a way to get it to you. let me know if you need it. its a 244 megabyte file. we can use teamviewer or something

2nd - download the right firmware from the netgear site. you can bypass the registration.
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2615

3rd - once you have downloaded the firmware recovery .iso, use a free iso utility to extract it to a NEW folder on your desktop. (or else you will have files everywhere on your desktop). do a search in the folder and find all the .chk files, and change them out with the right .chk files that you downloaded from the netgear site. rename the v1 .chk file with the v2 .chk file. example: "WNR3500-V1.0.36_8.0.36NA.chk" is the v1 file name, and "WNR3500v2.chk" is the v2 file name that you will find in your search. change the v1 to the v2 file name and then copy and paste to each of the locations that you found the v2 file names. i think there were 7 or 8 locations. then you are done... run the "autorun" application in the extracted folder and voila!

you do not need to make any static ip changes to your network card, or go into your .cmd to do a firmware push. i must of had the worst case scenario because none of those options worked for me, and i spent about 10 hours on it.

i thought id spend the time to write this since there seems to be no easy help for the worst case scenarios. i hope this helps some folks.Smiley Tongue
Novice

Thank You BLUEBUNNY - Worked for me also. Just getting ready to Jtag it when I ran across your post and tried it. Your URl was no longer working but Google found it for me.

http://adf.ly/768639/content.wuala.com/contents/RealHacker.NET/01.Drivers/WNR3500v2.iso?key=093v09y7...
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors