Newcomer

Which is better

54% at 162Mbps or 68% at 64Mbps

What do you think since I am completely new to this

Thanks
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which is better

You can’t tell which is better from those figures, you need to run a throughput test, e.g. take a look at IPerf / JPerf.
Newcomer

How do I do that?
Newcomer

can you do a test from computer to TV?
Respected Contributor

Since it's wireless, you're looking at half that for actual speed.
Esteemed Contributor

joedtrucker wrote:
How do I do that?

If you Google iPerf you should find some instructions, it's not particularly difficult but really needs two computers for the test.
Regular Contributor

I don't understand what you mean with those percentages or how you obtained them. Are the Mbps link rates? How did you obtain them as well?

The most important measure of a network's performance is data throughput - the speed of transfer of data from one location (server, desktop, NAS, notebook, etc) to another on your Local Area Network (LAN). Throughput can be measured with a number of different applications such as iperf/jperf, LAN Speed Test, etc. You will need two computers setup on your LAN to do throughput testing. It has nothing to do with televisions.

I can help you with using iperf/jperf, having used both on Windows XP-based computers.

Please describe what it is you want to do and what hardware and operating system you use.
Newcomer

I don't understand what you mean with those percentages or how you obtained them. Are the Mbps link rates? How did you obtain them as well?

Yes link rates from genie on network map page

I just want to know what kind of signal (strength, consistency, drops) I am getting from my router to my TV which is 30' away. I would like to try this on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz to see which is better. I guess that I can just sit and watch a streaming program but I would like the data to back it up. Does that make sense?

Win 7
Intel 2500k@3.7
8GB
Gigabyte GA-768
EVGA 560ti
Regular Contributor

Don't use Netgear Genie to gauge link rates or throughputs and from what I've seen I don't put much stock in what it reports.

Don't know how you can do what you want when the client is a TV. Is there an app on the TV or something in the set up that provides something of what you want?

If you can borrow a notebook computer with a wireless NIC adapter card that is dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz), set up a LAN with your desktop and notebook, then you can do testing to get an idea of signal intensity and throughputs.

Otherwise you can just try both bands and different channels within each band and see how well your TV functions. Don't forget that position of the wireless router in space (up/down, left/right, forward/backward) can play a critical role in performance.

Remember, link rates are collateral information. Throughput is the critical data for your purposes.
Regular Contributor

If you have a cell phone that uses apps, maybe you can find and use something like WiFi Analyzer to get an idea of signal intensity of the router while standing at the TV. Also, an app like this can help you understand crowding on the 2.4 GHz band by your neighbor's wireless signals. You can use that to see why one channel may be better to select for your use than another.

Keep in mind that even if there are other wireless routers using the same channel as you, what matters is if they are transmitting data or just place sitting. Three idle neighbors occupying the same channel as you will not affect your throughput but one neighbor on the same channel as you who moves lots of data (like watching HD movies from his server or downloading large files) can dramatically decrease your router's performance. This is why you should test channels to see how they perform, even at different times of day when your neighbors are home and using their networks.
Discussion Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Top Contributors