Initial Contributor

any issues with Motorola Surfboard SB6141? can't connect...

I have a new WNDR4300 connecting to a new cable modem Motorola Surfboard SB6141 and they will not work together (i.e. bouncing ethernet connection).

Is there anything special about this combination? Or special about a Charter cable modem setup? It seems pretty generic. The modem and cables are known-good.

I mean the WNDR4300 does not get a solid connection from the SB6141. Because the ethernet ports do not show connection, or if they do it's only for a few seconds- a DHCP lease is good for 10-20 seconds. The port is bouncing (up-down). I can occasionally get through the router to the modem config page but then it drops again. The modem is cycling through it's auto-config looking for the client. The router is super slow to respond on port 80 at this time.

Of course:
- Using the ethernet cable provided (and tried another) in the right ports
- Power cycled the modem
- Power cycled the router
- Power cycled both (both ways)
- verified router has basic settings for Internet and WAN
- tried disabling Security options (SPI firewall, respond to ping on WAN, etc.)
- even tried putting a different MAC in the router config

The thing is, I have an old Linksys WRT150 with DD-WRT programming- and it works instantly with the modem. I mean bang- 5 seconds and good sync. So the modem and cables are known good.

I've seen weird compatibility issues before. I am considering flashing DD-WRT on this 4300 just to try that- so while I may not be an Apple Store Genius (haha) yes, I think the basic stuff is covered. But you never know.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of thing? Or suggestions? Frankly I don't have the patience for level 1 help desk. I don't want to reinstall Windows to fix this. Smiley Wink
Regular Contributor

Re: any issues with Motorola Surfboard SB6141? can't connect...

In history of N router family they have had some Moto surfboard unit cause communication issues which was fixed the firmware.

I would put bug report to support about this via portal at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Esteemed Contributor

Re: any issues with Motorola Surfboard SB6141? can't connect...

I've always liked Zoom modems. They just work. Smiley Happy
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Discussion Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Top Contributors