Reply
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

eMail Alerts?

I'm having trouble getting "e-Mail Notifications" to work...

Just "completed" first level Netgear support on this issue where the diagnosis was defective hardware and suggested solution was to replace the router.

I find a hardware failure for this issue somewhat difficult to believe...

Fairly certain I've configured "Outgoing Mail Server" correctly with fully qualified User Name and password for authentication, Port 25.

"Send Log" reports no errors but I'm also not getting any notifications? Is there some other log I can examine for clues? Or something else I can try to track the failure down?

And unless Netgear will provide a new router *before* return of the one in question, a router exchange is the absoute last thing I'd like to try.

Thanks,
Bob
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

some ISP will block it as spam.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

Exact same WNDR3700 eMail setup settings as Netgear ReadyNAS DUO which workd fine through same ISP.

Don't think it's a question of SPAM blocking unless Router somehow creates eMail differently than NAS...
Retired_Member
Posts: 0

Re: eMail Alerts?

I haven't used this feature yet - is it function as an SMTP client or an SMTP relay?

It is possible the router does it differently than the NAS.

Also, the router is doing NAT - it's possible that your ISP sees the emails coming from the same IP address and doesn't allow it for some reason.
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

few people has report that it's been blocked with is generated by router.

I use comcast and log can go out if I enable it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

Is a Router Log kept where I can confirm the sending of eMails?

And if the eMail can be confirmed sent perhaps this Log can also provide info needed to "whitelist" with my ISP?

Thanks for the help,
Bob
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
Is a Router Log kept where I can confirm the sending of eMails?

And if the eMail can be confirmed sent perhaps this Log can also provide info needed to "whitelist" with my ISP?

Thanks for the help,
Bob


call ISP and consult if indeed block the them
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

There must be *something* I can check on my end before calling my ISP. Without some additional info, I'm not even sure what I'd ask them...
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
There must be *something* I can check on my end before calling my ISP. Without some additional info, I'm not even sure what I'd ask them...


just call ISP that you sending log is not going out.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎2010-03-02

Re: eMail Alerts?

From my point of view the router is managing to do this if you have a smtp server where you don't have to authenticate. As soon as I use one where I must authenticate the wndr3700 will fail sending email alerts.
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

Kubiskisk,

Thanks for the useful reply.
(This issue may very well prove to be an ISP SPAM filter problem *but* it's great to have someone provide some meaningful feedback.)

Anyhow, my ThunderBird version 2.0.0.23 eMail Server config is as follows;
Server Setting - "Never use secure connection and secure authentication is OFF". Outgoing Server (SMTP) - Is set for "Use name and password but use secure connection is No" on Port 25.

And I still come back to the fact that my Netgear NAS send eMails just fine with the above settings through the same ISP...

Thanks again for at least trying to help,
Bob
Tutor
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎2009-10-22

Re: eMail Alerts?

did you fill in username and password where it says my mail server requires authentication ? all isp use authentication
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

jerry66 wrote:
did you fill in username and password where it says my mail server requires authentication ? all isp use authentication
not all do.. "most do" Smiley Very Happy there is still plenty ISP will let smtp with no authentication
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎2010-03-02

Re: eMail Alerts?

Sure there are, my ISP allow smtp withouth authentication for us that are located on the inside of their network. If I use that SMTP the email function is ok.

If I use the same SMTP as I use for my domain email where I have to authenticate it fails. This SMTP is ok used from a W7 computer attached to the same WNDR3700.
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

OK, when I turn OFF the Thunderbird authentication option of Outgoing SMTP Server, all sent eMail is refused due to logon error so it would seem this configuration is required by my ISP.

I did confirm that the WNDR3700 *thinks* it sends eMails as per the Log entry below;

> [email sent to: rljames@psualum.com] Sunday, March 14,2010 13:00:01

Double checked my Netgear NAS eMail Alerts sending and they are coming through fine as;

> If you receive this message, the email alert notification is working
> properly.

Also checked ISP side of eMail setup and it doesn't appear that any "filters" (that I can control at least) have been setup and there was no SPAM in the "Junk" folder.

Still a mystery...
Luminary
Posts: 89,285
Registered: ‎2009-01-27

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
OK, when I turn OFF the Thunderbird authentication option of Outgoing SMTP Server, all sent eMail is refused due to logon error so it would seem this configuration is required by my ISP.

I did confirm that the WNDR3700 *thinks* it sends eMails as per the Log entry below;

> [email sent to: rljames@psualum.com] Sunday, March 14,2010 13:00:01

Double checked my Netgear NAS eMail Alerts sending and they are coming through fine as;

> If you receive this message, the email alert notification is working
> properly.

Also checked ISP side of eMail setup and it doesn't appear that any "filters" (that I can control at least) have been setup and there was no SPAM in the "Junk" folder.

Still a mystery...


likely to see there. you need to ask ISP support instead if it is getting block.

also what is the subject line on NAS shows when you get it? just curious
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Tutor
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎2009-10-22

Re: eMail Alerts?

sorry you're right , should have said most .
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

Spoke with my ISP and here is their reply;


> If it was a spam issue you would get a bounce message from our mail
> server and it would say something like sender rejected or your access
> to submit email messages to this system has been rejected.
>
> I really don't think it is a spam issue. I tend to think the router is
> talking to our mail server like the router itself is a mail server. So
> our mail server asks it what its name is. Our mail server goes out and
> checks the domain and sees that it does not exist so it rejects the
> message without a bounce. Unfortunately if this is the case there is
> not a way around this feature as it is in place for security reasons.
> It stops any host from relaying mail on our service.
>
> Couple suggestions. Configure the router's hostname to frontiernet.net.
> When the router sends a helo or ehelo greeting to our mail server it
> will see it is from the Frontier domain. Also make sure the router is
> not listing its private IP address in the smtp greeting. It needs to
> list your public IP address.


So the question I originally asked remains unanswered. Is a there Router Log where I can determine exactly what the WNDR3700 is sending? As advised by my ISP, at least knowing the SMTP "Greeting" might be useful.

As for the "Subject Line" from the successfully sent/received NAS eMail. It reads;
> Alert Testing (Charybdis)

Thanks,
Bob
Aspirant
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎2010-03-16

Re: eMail Alerts?

Hi,

Sure looks like something is wrong to me:

[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M, Tuesday, March 16,2010 22:44:24
[email sent to: SFischer1@Earthlink.com] Tuesday, March 16,2010 22:44:24
[Log Cleared] Tuesday, March 16,2010 22:44:19

SHF
Retired_Member
Posts: 0

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
Spoke with my ISP and here is their reply;


> If it was a spam issue you would get a bounce message from our mail
> server and it would say something like sender rejected or your access
> to submit email messages to this system has been rejected.
>
> I really don't think it is a spam issue. I tend to think the router is
> talking to our mail server like the router itself is a mail server. So
> our mail server asks it what its name is. Our mail server goes out and
> checks the domain and sees that it does not exist so it rejects the
> message without a bounce. Unfortunately if this is the case there is
> not a way around this feature as it is in place for security reasons.
> It stops any host from relaying mail on our service.
>
> Couple suggestions. Configure the router's hostname to frontiernet.net.
> When the router sends a helo or ehelo greeting to our mail server it
> will see it is from the Frontier domain. Also make sure the router is
> not listing its private IP address in the smtp greeting. It needs to
> list your public IP address.


So the question I originally asked remains unanswered. Is a there Router Log where I can determine exactly what the WNDR3700 is sending? As advised by my ISP, at least knowing the SMTP "Greeting" might be useful.

As for the "Subject Line" from the successfully sent/received NAS eMail. It reads;
> Alert Testing (Charybdis)

Thanks,
Bob


Your ISP's response is similar to what I asked earlier.

I would suggest contacting Netgear support and verifying that the 3700 is functioning as a client and not an SMTP relay. Because if it's functioning as a relay, your ISP won't accept mail from it under most circumstances.
Aspirant
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎2010-03-16

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
...

So the question I originally asked remains unanswered. Is a there Router Log where I can determine exactly what the WNDR3700 is sending? As advised by my ISP, at least knowing the SMTP "Greeting" might be useful.

As for the "Subject Line" from the successfully sent/received NAS eMail. It reads;
> Alert Testing (Charybdis)

Thanks,
Bob


Hi,

I posted the contents of the Router Log that showed the error I am seeing when the log is attempted to be E-Mailed.

Here are my current contents, E-Mail address modified for security purposes.


[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.2] to MAC address 00:18:dd:01:30:24, Wednesday, March 17,2010 11:37:22
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 11:00:01
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 11:00:01
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.3] to MAC address 00:10:75:07:08:a0, Wednesday, March 17,2010 10:53:16
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 10:00:01
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 10:00:01
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 00:1a:92:b4:d5:46, Wednesday, March 17,2010 09:08:38
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 09:00:01
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 09:00:01
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address 00:1a:92:b4:d5:46, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:43:49
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 207.46.16.252, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:36:18
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 207.217.125.99, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:35:34
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 207.217.125.87, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:35:34
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 216.239.116.65, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:35:31
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 207.217.125.93, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:33:50
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 63.215.202.17, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:33:41
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 216.239.116.65, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:10:27
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 216.239.113.95, port 80, Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:10:25
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 08:00:02
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address 00:1a:92:b4:d5:46, Wednesday, March 17,2010 07:47:43
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.9, Wednesday, March 17,2010 07:43:57
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.4] to MAC address 00:1a:92:b4:d5:46, Wednesday, March 17,2010 07:13:09
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 07:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 07:00:02
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.106] to MAC address 00:1a:92:b4:d5:46, Wednesday, March 17,2010 06:57:53
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.9] to MAC address 00:1d:e0:96:d1:7d, Wednesday, March 17,2010 06:49:00
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 06:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 06:00:02
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 05:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 05:00:02
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 04:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 04:00:02
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 03:00:01
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 03:00:01
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 02:00:01
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 02:00:01
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 01:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 01:00:02
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M Wednesday, March 17,2010 00:00:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Wednesday, March 17,2010 00:00:02
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.2] to MAC address 00:18:dd:01:30:24, Tuesday, March 16,2010 23:37:18
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.9] to MAC address 00:1d:e0:96:d1:7d, Tuesday, March 16,2010 23:26:59
[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised^M, Tuesday, March 16,2010 23:14:02
[email sent to: A_NANI_MOUSE@MINDSPRING.COM] Tuesday, March 16,2010 23:14:02
[Log Cleared] Tuesday, March 16,2010 23:13:47


Open http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm

and scroll down to "Content Filtering" and click on "Logs".

Buttons are "Refresh", "Clear Log" and "Send Log".

Clear the log and then send to log.

You can select the contents with Ctrl-A and then Ctrl-C.

Then paste the contents into a post and wrap Quote tags around it.

That might help with the understanding.

SHF
Aspirant
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎2010-03-16

Re: eMail Alerts?

Hi,

Further, "a_nani_mouse@mindspring.com" is a valid E-Mail address.

You can try sending the log to me.

If you do not get the same error as I do, I can PM the results back to you.

SHF
Aspirant
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎2010-02-05

Re: eMail Alerts?

Appears your problem may be different.

As I wrote earlier;

I did confirm that the WNDR3700 *thinks* it sends eMails as per the Log entry below;

> [email sent to: rljames@psualum.com] Sunday, March 14,2010 13:00:01

That is the entire content of my Log File for an "eMail Event" BUT nothing arrives. And again, my ISP is fairly certain the eMail is NOT being intercepted as SPAM.
Retired_Member
Posts: 0

Re: eMail Alerts?

rljames wrote:
Appears your problem may be different.

As I wrote earlier;

I did confirm that the WNDR3700 *thinks* it sends eMails as per the Log entry below;

> [email sent to: rljames@psualum.com] Sunday, March 14,2010 13:00:01

That is the entire content of my Log File for an "eMail Event" BUT nothing arrives. And again, my ISP is fairly certain the eMail is NOT being intercepted as SPAM.


Unfortunately, if your ISP won't 100% verify that the mail was recieved by their SMTP server, you're probably out of luck. The router says it's sent, so the only way to troubleshoot beyond that is to verify with the recipient (your ISP).

It's somewhat complicated, but you could insert a sniffer between the WAN interface of the 3700 and your broadband modem and verify that the email is actually being sent.
Aspirant
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎2010-03-16

Re: eMail Alerts?

Hi,

After researching the eMail Alert problem I have come to the conclusion that it is best to just turn it off.

I will tell you why if you want to know, but you will not like the answer.

SHF
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors