× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

upgrade n900

fcs659
Aspirant

upgrade n900

I read that I am supposed to reset my router an check for upgrades. Now that I have spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how...is there anyone out there that can provide SIMPLE CLEAR clear instructions that are not written or advanced techs? Like, open this page, click on "x", click OK...etc...nothing that is in the forums makes any sense whatsoever.  Thank you.

Dear god, this post took 7 tries, is netgear a reputable company?

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Re: upgrade n900

Yes just disconnect from power and back on was all that they were asking people to do. By the way, I didn't see the n900 routers on the list of routers that were supposedly affected but always good to make sure by power cycling it in case.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> upgrade n900

N900 is a speed, not a model number.  Ever helpful, Netgear product
packaging emphasizes speeds like "Nxxx", but that's not the model
identifier.  Look at the product label.

> Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

Is that accurate?

> I read [...]

What?  Where?

> [...] I have spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how...

By doing what?

> [...] nothing that is in the forums makes any sense whatsoever.

You read everything in these forums?  I doubt it.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual, and look for
"firmware" and/or "Upgrade the Router Firmware".  While you're in that
neighborhood, under Downloads, various firmware kits are also available.

> Dear god, this post took 7 tries, [...]

I've seen no evidence that He participates (directly) in these

forums.  What was so difficult (compared with, say, finding your

router's model number)?

Message 2 of 7
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Easy way to check for new firmware upgrades is to go to the www.netgear.com website. Then clikc on support and put your model number and it will list downloads for firmware. You just need to apply them to your router. You should just download the manual if it's too hard for you which is also available in that support page for your router.

Message 3 of 7
fcs659
Aspirant

Sad that some of us come to a forum for help, serious help, have absolutely no clue what to do,. and get snotty answers. We are not all tech geeks, and no, I have NEVER participated in this forum before, why should I?  And given the crappy responess.--- except one, who told me how to do it, but now I can't as I have no idea whatsoever what my user name and password it.... and nowhere on the page is there a place for help.... all I can see are the armchair critics who live in the geek world. I thought this was a help forum.

As far as trying to do things, I have lierally wasted hours now trying to do a simple upgrade.... and until one poster gave me a clear answer as to where to go, nothing was helping. All I was looking for was a simple "upgrade" button... but no, there isn't one, you have to jump through hoops to get to it. Can't Netgear simply call this a piece of software? No... they make up the name "firmware" that no one understands.

in answer to a couple of replies:[...] "I have spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how..".  All I want is a simple reply...HOW do I install the upgrade. I am clicking around on the Netgear page, getting lost from one place to the other, NOTHING is simple, it's all written for geeks. Major failure on the part of the company.  

"You read everything in these forums?  I doubt it.:"  Sorry, but yes, I clicked through dozens upon dozens upon dozens of various posts trying to find an answer.... and no, there was nothing that answered my question. How hard is it to say, 1/ click on X, proceed to Y, then follow the insruction?.   No...I get smarmy answers like yours.

> Dear god, this post took 7 tries, [...]   Yes, simply trying to do a post wouldn't work for me... I kept getting error messages.... finally one worked. Why make it so difficult??

@antinode wrote:

> upgrade n900

N900 is a speed, not a model number.  Ever helpful, Netgear product
packaging emphasizes speeds like "Nxxx", but that's not the model
identifier.  Look at the product label.

> Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

Is that accurate?

> I read [...]

What?  Where?

> [...] I have spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how...

By doing what?

> [...] nothing that is in the forums makes any sense whatsoever.

You read everything in these forums?  I doubt it.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual, and look for
"firmware" and/or "Upgrade the Router Firmware".  While you're in that
neighborhood, under Downloads, various firmware kits are also available.

> Dear god, this post took 7 tries, [...]

I've seen no evidence that He participates (directly) in these

forums.  What was so difficult (compared with, say, finding your

router's model number)?

Message 4 of 7
wcalifas831
Prodigy

If you're talking about that fbi vnp malware that was on the news all they required you to do is  to power cycle your router not a hard reset.

Message 5 of 7
fcs659
Aspirant

@wcalifas831 wrote:

If you're talking about that fbi vnp malware that was on the news all they required you to do is  to power cycle your router not a hard reset.

Thanks, I am assuming  "power cycle your router" means to turn it off and on. Will do.

Message 6 of 7
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Yes just disconnect from power and back on was all that they were asking people to do. By the way, I didn't see the n900 routers on the list of routers that were supposedly affected but always good to make sure by power cycling it in case.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7