Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Block a device or IP address?

ng475
Follower

Block a device or IP address?

Hey I just purchased DGND3700v2 and was wondering if there is anyway that I can block a device from using the wifi. I'm in a homeshare house and have had troubles with people paying for the internet so I want to be able to block specific devices from accessing the wifi until they pay for internet.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Block a device or IP address?

The only surefire way to block access is to change the Wi-Fi password and make sure they don't have physical access to the router.  Otherwise, they can reset the router and configure it to their heart's content.

The other common method is to block a device by its MAC address, but it looks like the DGND3700v2 doesn't have that feature.  A savvy user with the ability to change their device's MAC address can bypass this method.

The other method is to block by IP address.  You can do this by setting up an outbound firewall (under ADVANCED > Security > Firewall Rules) that blocks their address for all services to any WAN servers.  In order for this to work effectively, you need to set up an address reservation (under ADVANCED > LAN Setup) to assign a fixed IP address to their device's MAC address.  Like MAC address blocking, this can be defeated by changing the MAC address.  It can also be defeated by using a static IP address on the device.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7