Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bug - network map not saving custom name on device hosting genie

Bcole
Aspirant

Bug - network map not saving custom name on device hosting genie

3.1.10 genie 

On the main screen displays the custom name of my android tablet but does not show the same on the network map.  

Restart the app and on the first page displays the original name and not the custom name, like on the network map. 

Tried to refresh, enter again, hit save icon, go back to network map and still the default name.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Bcole
Aspirant

Re: Bug - network map not saving custom name on device hosting genie

Version 3.1.12 has fixed this problem

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies

It won't even let me rename the icons here.

Message 2 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

If you click around the text "unknown", usually around the middle, I get a cursor and my keyboard appears.

Seems to be a boundary issue with the text field, where the two characters on the right will not accept click into field.

Message 3 of 12

What I meant was that I can change the name, but it does not save the new name, even on a per session basis.

I can change the "Type" and that does stick.

Message 4 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

I was able to change and save all of the custom names and types except for the device that hosting genie.

Thought it might be the bypass but set that to default to router and still not able to save.

Also, the is no type field for the genie hosting device

Message 5 of 12

@Bcole wrote:

Also, the is no type field for the genie hosting device

I was referring to the Android genie.

I have no idea what the "genie hosting device" or "device hosting genie" refer to.

Message 6 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

The genie hosting device is the android device that has the genie app installed on it.

The custom names are stored on the device that has the genie app installed.

It appears that the device that has genie app installed can not change the name or type of the hosting device.

Message 7 of 12

@Bcole wrote:

It appears that the device that has genie app installed can not change the name or type of the hosting device.

It seems that you can change the type and name of other Android devices. But not the one that hosts the app.

On my Nexus 4, I can change the other Android to a Nexus 7. But the Nexus 4 is stuck.

On my Nexus 7, I can change the other Android to a Nexus 4. The Nexus 7 is stuck.

Hang on, look at the Router Management bit of the app and scroll through Connected Devices. There you will see that the devices have the names that the desktop genie has for them.

The Android app also shows my Arlo camera as a wifi device whereas the Windows app says it is wired.

Message 8 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

Version 3.1.12 has fixed this problem

Message 9 of 12

But you cannot change the Type of the connected device. I cannot tell it that what it calls my "Android device" is a tablet rather than a phone.

Message 10 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

Yes, with the 3.1.12 android version we are able to change the name but not the device type.

Message 11 of 12
Bcole
Aspirant

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/Bug-genie-3-1-12-android-network-map-unable-to-change-device/...

New discussion thread started for not being able to change device type on the genue hosting device

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7